Status: Updates Eventually.

It's Been a While

The Director

“More volume on number seven, Georgia,” I said quickly, not even looking at the stage.

“Who messed with my wires, bitches?” This was our last dress rehearsal and I didn’t want to stop for anything, meaning I had three and a half scenes to untangle these wires, trace them back to the main microphone box, plug them in, track the number, check with the backstage crew, and turn it on. I was just getting out the main connecting wire when my phone buzzed. ‘TEXT FROM AIDEN’. Huh. Wonder what he wanted. He usually didn’t text me while both of us were at work.

“Ey lovely. Hope the rehearsal is going well. Planned a reunion on Wednesday. Your family’s coming. Make sure you don’t schedule the new script reading then. Also, thanks for the chicken sandwich. ‘Twas tasty. =)”

 

Good God.

 

“ALRIGHT, HOLD UP. CUT.” So much for not stopping for anything.

“Whatwhatwhat??” My anxiety filled male lead shouted nervously back at me. “I’msorryi’msorryi’msorry! I tried! Please don’t shoot me with the water gun…I’m having a great hair day.”  Okay, so maybe he was the tiniest bit flamboyant…At least I didn’t have to worry about him staring the girls down during rehearsals. “No, Oliver, calm down. You’re doing fine. I’m really sorry I had to stop you guys, but this is super important. Ok so-- wait, shit. This doesn’t even concern any of you. I’m kind of an idiot.”

“YOU FAILED.” The cast shouted at me in unison, thumbs all pointed downward, as per theater tradition. (How else were you supposed to get them to memorize their scripts?)

“You’re quite right, I did fail. But God, I really should’ve made it off limits to use that against your director. You know, the one who PAYS you. Carry on.”

 

 

“Alright lovelies. You did a wonderful job. Now get out of my theater. Please sleep so poor Laura doesn’t have to spend hours under your eyes. Back tomorrow at 2 PM, if you’re late, you shall feel my wrath. Now GO, my future Broadway stars.”

“WE KICK ASS” They chanted, fists pumping the air and jumping off the stage. Ey, my theater, my rules. You be awesome or you get out.

 

“So what’d Aiden say?” Georgia asked, hopping into my car as I gave her a ride back the apartment building. We lived on the same floor, three doors apart. We’d been good friends ever since we’d both gotten out of college and moved into the decrepit building together.

“Just mentioned that he planned a family reunion this week. Also gave me some details about his lunch. I’m not really sure why he planned it, nor how he got in touch with my family. I haven’t really spoken with any of them in years.”

“Oh right, you grew up in an orphanage then had a ridiculous number of father figures and two sisters?”

“Indeed. I wish I knew where they were and what they were doing…I feel awful I haven’t kept in touch. I really do love them to death. It’s just…once we became legal I couldn’t help but become super independent and leave all of them behind. Once I got settled here I really should’ve made an effort to contact them again. Oh well. Guess now’s my opportunity…Oh SHIT that means I have to get all the speakers out of my living room…The joy…”

“Bye Nat, try not to stress too much. The show’s gonna be great. The cast really knows their shit. Say hi to Aiden for me, alright?”

“Will do. Don’t trip on your army of cats. I need you in once piece tomorrow.”

 

Georgia was sweet. I didn’t know what I’d do without her as my tech ninja. Running a theater was hard work. I remembered about the speakers and called Aiden to come help me out.

“Hi lovely,” He came in and hugged me tight. “Before we move all the speakers, I’m taking you to the stable. I got a hat for Charlie.”

“You bought a hat for my pony?” (In case you were wondering, yes. My fiancé did get me an engagement pony. Be jealous.)

 

“Well…yeah! I even got you a matching one, see?” He pulled out a sequined purple Santa-type hat.

“Gee, I wonder why I’m marrying you…”

“Nom.” He bit the edge of my shoulder and dragged me out of the apartment.