Sequel: The City of Chance

From Russia...

Our Final Destination

“Hey Ayren we are going to go check out that café down the corner, do you want to come?”
“Maybe later, I am just going to have a nap for now.”
My friends and I had been travelling Europe for the past three months now and we had finally made it to our final destination, Moscow.

I was so fascinated by it. Russia had such a rich history and it was one of the most beautiful places I had ever been and I had been almost everywhere.

“You know you really need to get your head out of that diary and enjoy this,” my best friend Emma climbed up onto my bunk in our little hostel room that we shared with three of our other friends.
“I am just don’t want to forget any of it.”

Mark was her boyfriend, he was a really sweet guy and kept her occupied so she wouldn’t drag me into any antics that she otherwise would.

Brandon was a lone wolf and loved to have fun, he was the reason we spent most of our time in pubs on this trip, but hey the legal age was eighteen and we were making the most of it before we had to go home.

Kim was quiet, she was always so calm and proper, sometimes a little religious on us but she kept our group level so the public didn’t always think we were just dumb Americans.

Me on the other hand I was caught somewhere in the middle of it all. I got drunk on cheap beer, played guitar, took excessive amounts of photos, wrote every detail in my diary and lapped up the atmosphere of every place we passed. I was dignified by day, partier by night and I loved it.

“Come on you are the only one around here who can speak with the natives,” she snatched my book away and chucked it on the floor, “now you have to get up.”
“Natives?” I curled my eyebrow at her.
“Yes, now come on,” she slapped my leg and jumped down onto the ground with a thud, “if you don’t hurry I will send Brandon in,” she threatened as she walked out the door.
“Ok wait up,” I jumped down and ran after her.

My dad was a high class business man and we traveled a lot when I was a younger, moving from country to country but always returning home to Pittsburgh, so in my family speaking numerous languages wasn’t uncommon.

My little brother Damien and I were masters in French, Italian and German but I never did get around to learning Russia, which now I kind of wish I did.

The only reason I could communicate with them was because I was patient, I got how hard it was to speak another language and patience was the key. If you stayed calm, they stayed calm but my friends didn't seem to get that.

"So this is the place you have been so excited to see huh?" Brandon looked around. But where we were there wasn't much to see just yet.
"Just wait you will see," I had so much faith in the place because if it didn't stand up to my boosting I would never live it down.
“Well it really is a beautiful place,” Kim spoke so honestly.
“It is isn’t it,” I let my eyes wonder around before they landed on a group of guys standing outside the window.

One in particular caught my attention he was the tallest one in the group and he had to crane his neck down to look at something a much smaller guy was holding. He looked no more than twenty and as my eyes continued to check him out he looked up and caught me staring.

A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he rearranged the beanie on his head before he shoved his hands into the pockets of his parka looking a little shy. His eyes were the key, they made him seem so young and innocent like a little child. I nodded approvingly at him and smiled before excusing myself from the table to go to the bathroom and escape his gaze.

I was the only one out of us single ones yet to have a hot European fling. That’s right even Kim, the little miss perfect with as fair as fair could be skin, completely untouched had done the deed with a hot French guy while I stayed in my room sleeping. Sleeping wasn’t exactly on my to-do list but I seemed to do it a lot.

I wasn’t paying complete attention to my surroundings as I walked out the bathroom and I made a mental note to do so next time as I found myself falling to the floor.

“Ой, я извиняюсь.”
I didn't even know what he said to me but it was completely irrelevant because his accent was so thick and warm as it vibrated through my body.

I had been staring at my Russian phrase book the whole flight from Sweden and I didn’t say anything because for the first time ever I had been rendered speechless as he helped me back up with a supportive hand on my back.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to do but in a way I was thankful that Brandon was yelling at me to hurry up otherwise I would have made a fool of myself. So I just smiled and pulled away not even taking the chance to look back in fear of being judged.