Sequel: The City of Chance

From Russia...

He Brings Out The Best In Me

“Ready?” he stood in the middle of the room staring at me as I slipped my jacket.
“Yeah come on,” I hung the strap of my camera around my neck.
“Ayren,” he stayed still with a smile on his face.
“What?” I stopped at the door.
“Forget,” he picked up my guitar.
“I thought you said when we went to the pub,” I still wasn’t convinced on that one though. I hated playing my guitar in front of people.
“Practice,” he insisted thrusting it in my face.
“Fine,” I gave in and took the guitar slinging it over my back.
“Good go,” he put his hand on my back to lead me to whatever wild place he had in mind.

I don’t know how this guy had such an effect on me. Whenever we walked somewhere he had a protective arm around me. He was so warm and I always felt safe when he was there.

His arm was slipped in my back pocket wedged in between my back and my guitar while I slipped my arm around his waist and he smiled approvingly.

“You sing,” he found a crowd of people and expected me sing in front of them randomly.
“No, what?!” I freaked out as he snatched my hand and dragged me over to them.

I stood there confused as Evgeni talked to them in Russian and I had no clue what was going on before they all looked at me.
“Umm Hi.”
“Bad English,” he shook his head.
“When then why am I singing to them?”
“Voice pretty, not matter.”
“Ok,” I hated how little control I had, but at the same time it was nice to do things spontaneously without reason.

It took a lot in my head and a reassuring kiss for me to just suck it up and do it.

I sat down on a bench nearby and Evgeni took my camera, “no don’t take photos,” I complained.
“Da photos,” he smiled cheekily, two big dimples appearing.

I took a deep breath and began playing Into the Dark by Ben Lee, it was the first thing that came to mind and I loved to sing it.

“I am feeling, since I surrendered, you can’t climb till you’re ready to fall. You’re not a landmine, you’re not a goldmine, no you’re not mine at all. So tell me baby, can you hear me? I sent a message out into the dark, it’s a mystery, when you’re near me, I’ve gotta find my way to your heart.”

Evgeni looked a little guilty as I sung but eventually he smiled and continued to snap photos of me.

“Evgeni,” I looked at him disapprovingly, “stop taking photos,” I couldn’t help but smile as he bid goodbye to the group of people who looked more than happy.

“They love,” he hooked his arm around my back and pulled me to him.
“Did you like it?” I looked up.
“I love,” he kissed me hard.

It was sad to think that soon this would all be over and I would be going back to Pittsburgh and then to college and maybe never see him again. I was going to miss him.
He pulled back and I looked at me. He was smiling as always and I was getting lost in how much I was going to miss him.

"You ok?" He frowned grabbing my chin.
"I am fine," I tried to bury my face into his chest.
"Lie," he hooked my chin up to stop me.
"What?" I narrowed my eyes at him.
"You lie, not ok," he shook his head.
"It's not impor... ok, ok," I gave up trying to get away from it as he tisked at me, "I just..." I pulled back but kept my hands on his waist to keep him close, "I have never met someone like you and in a couple of days I am going to leave."
"Not leave," he looked sad.
"I know I don't want to leave."
“Talk on computer?”
“Yeah, I guess,” I shrugged wrapping my arms around him.

Sure we could still talk and email or text but that wasn’t the same. That wasn’t like this, wasn’t like being held and having them keep you warm or even the little kisses on your forehead. It wouldn’t make up for it.

"See friends," he pointed to his watch as we untangled our arms from each other.
"Oh yeah I forgot."
"Sing?" he looked hopeful.
"I just did," but his puppy dog eyes were too much, "ok just for you."

So I did. He encouraged me up in front of the huge crowd of people and I sung a few songs for them and while most of them
didn't understand they all appreciated it none the less. But then there was Evgeni who sat right by me the whole time and smiled at me and made all the nerves go away because being around him was all I wanted.

“Sleepy?” he mumbled in my ear as I found myself drifting off as we sat in the booth while everyone chatted and had a few drinks around us.
“I am so tired,” I yawned wrapping my arms around him.
“Come my home?”
“Why not the hostel?” I forced my eyes open to see him.
“Big bed, comfy,” he dropped a kiss to my forehead.
“Ok,” I wasn’t going to need convincing when it came to sleep right now.

I don’t know how we managed to get to his place, I was too tired. There was no way I was going to find my way back in the morning. But I know snuggling into bed with him wasn’t helping me feel any better about leaving soon.

He whispered something in Russian in my ear as I let myself be lulled to sleep by his breathing.