Heaven Can Wait

Prologue

Jimmy Novak gazed around at his unfamiliar surroundings. The last thing he remembered was lying in an uncomfortable hospital bed, surrounded by various beeping computer screens and needles stuck into his arms. He also remembered the man who had been talking to his parents that had been wearing a long white coat. If he hadn’t been loaded up on painkillers, he could have sworn he saw wings on him, almost as if he was an angel.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he slowly walked up the stone path that was surrounded by tall, green grass and flowers of assorted colors to the high gates in front of him. He looked up in awe as his head slowly traveled up the enormous height until he couldn’t look up any further. The gates were made of what seemed like solid gold and the equally magnificent walls that disappeared up into the clouds as well. He still wasn’t quite sure where he was or if this was actually a dream. But none of it felt like a dream, it all seemed too real. That was unlikely though, since he was completely pain free, something that he hadn’t felt in months. Even with the painkillers he was constantly given, he could still feel the dull, throbbing ache of the pain that never truly went away.

“It’s not a dream, little one,” a vaguely familiar voice said from behind him, interrupting his thoughts. “You are now free of the restrictions your corporeal body had. You are no longer limited.”

“What do you mean,” Jimmy asked, as he slowly turned around to face the man who had appeared behind him. He let his gaze slowly travel up the man until he reached his face. His eyes widened in shock and he let out a gasp. “It’s you! What are you doing here?”

The man just smiled at him before he held out his hand to him. “Hello again, Jimmy Novak,” he said with a smile and his eyes shining with approval when he took his proffered hand.

“What are you doing here,” Jimmy asked as they walked side by side, away from the gates. His eyes widened as he realized something. “Wait a minute, I wasn’t seeing things when I saw wings on you back at the hospital! It was real and it wasn’t my imagination! I knew it,” he exclaimed as he jumped up and down excitedly.

The man stopped at what seemed like the edge of a cliff and turned to face him. “No, it wasn’t your imagination. I let myself ne known to you to keep your mind off of other things. I don’t think I’ve properly introduced myself. I am Raphael, an angel of the Lord. I am also your protector and guide, should you choose the offer I have for you.”

“So, lemme get this straight, you’re not really a doctor but an angel,” Jimmy asked, as he slowly took a step back.

“Yes and no. On the human realm, I am technically a doctor but here in Heaven, I am a healing angel. The reason I was your doctor was to help ease your way over,” Raphael explained gently.

“W-w-what do you mean, ‘ease my way over’,” he managed to stammer out.

“From the moment you were born, we knew you would be pure of heart, little Jimmy. Of course, at the time, we imagined that it would take many years before we would be standing here.” He gestured to the golden gates behind him. “The cancer was an unfortunate and unforeseen problem. We are truly sorry for the pain you had to deal with. I tried my best to make it as painless as possible for you. Unfortunately, my powers aren’t at their highest peak being surrounded by so many ill people. Being a healing angel, I am naturally inclined to help everyone in pain. It was your pain though, that really called out to me, only because I already knew of my father’s plans regarding you. I am so sorry, little Jimmy Novak, for what little time you had on Earth.” He looked down and was startled to see the tears that silently streamed down his face.

“So, I wasn’t supposed to be here so soon,” he whispered, as he wiped the tears from his face. “I could have watched my little brother and sister grow up? Why? Why me?!”

Raphael kneeled down in front of him. “Everything happens for a reason, little one. You have already made your impact on the human realm. Perhaps you were meant for something more, which is why you are here. Take a look around, Jimmy. Do you know where you are,” he asked as he looked out over the edge.

Jimmy looked over and finally noticed where he was. He was even higher than the clouds and in clear areas; he was able to see the human realm beneath him. “Is this…Heaven,” he asked in awe. “And is that…” his voice trailed off as he started, wide-eyed, at the world beneath him.

“Yes, it is. That is the world you left behind but you don’t have to leave it completely behind. You have always been wise beyond your years. Having to grow up so quickly and not even getting the chance to be a child. Little Jimmy Novak, how would you like to become an angel? Granted, it will take a few years and you would have to train, of course,” Raphael offered. “You would be able to return to the human world while you train but you will be immune to all the diseases and then there’s the thing about your emotions.”

“My emotions?”

“Well, that’s the thing, you won’t have any. At least not in the beginning. Gradually they will come back and will fully return once you get your assignment, that is, if you do get an assigned,” he explained.

“If I get chosen? What do you mean?”

“That’s the thing, you have no idea about the amount of people who are chosen to train. Only a select few actually get picked to protect people. Those that aren’t chosen are those that train others.”

“So, there’s the possibility I may not even become a real angel? What exactly do they do?”

“There are three types of angels: the Guardians, the Soldiers and the Healers. I am a Healer angel, because when I was chosen, as a human I was a doctor. I helped people. The Guardians are those that are assigned to a family to watch over. Those families are the ones that hold a particular interest to our Father. They are the ones who may end up becoming future angels or prophets. And then there are they Soldier angels. They are the ones who protect everyone. They are the ones who fight in between dimensions, the one that separates the human world from Hell. They fight against evil, particularly demons who try to take over those we try so hard to protect. This is why we have the added protection, of course. Somehow, those demons are able to sniff out those who are destined to become future angels.”

“Out of those three, which one would I become,” Jimmy asked.

“I’m not sure, Jimmy. Your human life was cut short and we aren’t able to see into the future to see what your profession would have been. I guess only time will tell,” Raphael answered patiently. “Now, it is time for you to make your decision, Jimmy Novak. Do you accept the offer to become an angel in training or would you prefer to cross the Gates of Heaven?”

Jimmy stayed silent for several minutes before he asked, “I won’t be able to see my family, will I?”

“Unfortunately, no, you will not. At least, they can’t see you but you would be able to see them. You have to remain invisible. They mustn’t see you. So, what will your answer be?”

Jimmy took a deep breath before he replied, “Yes, I accept.”

Raphael smiled and placed his hand on his shoulder. “Welcome to the ranks, Jimmy. Now, let’s go pay a visit to your family, shall we?”

Jimmy gazed up at him, his eyes filled with wonder and amazement before he said, “You can really make this happen?”

Raphael nodded and replied, “You know, after doing this for so long, I was prepared to have to calm you down. Not many people whom I have had to speak with to offer them the same deal have been as calm and collected as you have been. That is saying something, since a majority of those people were already grown up. But here you are, little one, still a baby by many people’s standards and not once have you broken down. Why is that?”

Jimmy shrugged, not sure how to answer that. “Mother always told me I was wise beyond my years. I guess it also has to do with the fact that like you mentioned before, I grew up too fast. It was probably because of the cancer that made me realize anything can happen, good or bad. While I still view the cancer as a curse, I’m also starting to view it as a blessing since it is giving me another chance at life, albeit a different one but one nonetheless.”

Raphael smiled down at him, a smile that reached his eyes and had them twinkling. “I doubt you will ever cease to amaze me, Jimmy Novak. I look forward to being your guide and I’m sure that no matter what, I will be proud of whatever you do. Come now, let me take you to see your family like I promised you,” he said as he held out his hand.

Jimmy placed his hand in his with a huge grin on his face which quickly transformed into awe as he saw Raphael’s magnificent white wings burst from his back. He stood transfixed in his spot for a moment as he stared at the beauty that was in front of him. It was as if a giant kaleidoscope had been unleashed as soon as his wings appeared. The light of the sun hit each feather which caused them to reflect light everywhere and made a myriad of rainbows appear for as far as he could see. He looked down onto the mortal realm and noticed that directly below from where they stood, a few mortals had stopped what they were doing as they looked around to try and find the source of the rainbows.

“Can I touch it,” Jimmy asked before he could stop himself as he took a small step forward with an outstretched hand, almost as if hypnotized.

“Go for it.”
Jimmy lightly put his hand on one of Raphael’s wings and was amazed at its softness. The feathers tickled his skin and moved gently against the breeze as they softly caressed his fingers. “It’s so beautiful.”

“Thank you. Now, I know you’re still amazed by all of this but shall we try it again and go see your family? Or did you change your mind,” Raphael asked with a hint of a smile. This had always been his favorite part when it came to offering people the chance at a new life, seeing the looks on their faces whenever they saw the wings. He still remembered when he was offered to become an angel and his mentor had shown him her wings. Where his were white, Anna’s had been pure black which was the symbol for the soldier angels. His were white because of his status as a healer and white represented purity, goodness, possibility and beginnings.

Jimmy shook his head as if to clear his thoughts before he answered. “Yes, of course. Sorry for getting so distracted. You could have warned me, you know.”

“I apologize. Now let’s go,” Raphael said as he once again took Jimmy’s hand and took a step forward towards the edge of the cliff. “We’re going to be stepping over but don’t be afraid. At first, it’ll feel as if we’re falling but give it a few seconds and we’ll be flying over everything. Ready?”

Jimmy nodded nervously as he took a small peek over the edge. “I’m ready but just so you know, I already died once. I’m not ready to die again,” he said in an attempt to hide his fear.

“Don’t worry, little one, I’ve got you,” Raphael said as he picked him up. Jimmy wrapped his small arms around his neck and closed his eyes. “On the count of three…one…two…three…” Raphael stepped over the edge and within a few seconds, they disappeared into the clouds.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is an idea that I got a few months ago while listening to the song 'Heaven Can Wait' by We the Kings. Ever since then, I have had this plot twisting and turning in my head and haven't been able to decide how I wanted it to go, until now. I'm not sure how long this will be but I know it will be a bit lengthy. I hope you guys enjoy this because I am super excited to write it.