Pretty Simple

'Just pick something and let's go'

“Dude, just pick something and let’s go.” John huffed, turning from the glass to lean against the shop counter.

“I’m still looking,” Garrett frowned. “Be patient.”

John muttered under his breath, but Garrett ignored him, staring down through the glass at all the jewellery beneath it. There were so many types of rings, watches, necklaces, bracelets, charms, brooches and anklets, and still he couldn’t find anything he was looking for.

He’ll admit that he left looking for this Christmas present a bit late, but all three jewellery shops he had been in so far had been full of stock. Just not anything he wanted and every sales person he had asked help from so far wasn’t every helpful, just belatedly ignored what he said and tried talking him into buying some fancy thing that costs a mint.

While John looked all awed at what the sale ladies showed them, Garrett knew exactly what he wanted and wasn’t about to be fooled.

“Why do women have to be so picky?” John muttered.

Garrett forced himself not to roll his eyes and looked sharply over at John.

“Katie is not picky. I know exactly what she would like and none of these shops have it.”

“Yeah, because she’s picky.” John shrugged off handed.

Garrett rolled his eyes and walked past John, stepping on John’s foot as he passed. John squawked a little but followed Garrett over to a wall of glass. This shop had a bit more selection than the others but so far it looked like it they were going to walk out empty handed again.

“Why not get something in gold? Gold has a bigger range.” John said gesturing over to another part of the shop.

Looking over to where John was pointing, Garrett wondered if he would be half blind by the time he got home. Everything was too bright and shiny.

“She doesn’t like gold. Not unless it’s white gold.”

“Diamonds?”

Garrett shook his head and turned back to the glass in front of them. Diamond rings glittered up at him. He started moving away down the glass. He wasn’t looking for rings.

“What does she like then? What are you even looking for?”

“I told you,” Garrett sighed. “I’m looking for either a bracelet or an anklet. Silver, no diamonds, no charms unless their small, no huge clasps...just something pretty and simple.”

Getting frustrated, Garrett ran a hand through his hair and made a face when his hand got stuck in a knot. John walked past him and stopped a little further up along the wall.

“Like this?” He asked pointing down at a bracelet around the wrist of a fake arm. “But like, no huge clip like that.”

“Yeah. Or like that one.” Garrett said pointing at another bracelet. “But with a smaller chain.”

The two of them stood there for a moment staring at the small collecting of bracelets. They were pretty, but not simple, having huge chain links or huge bulky clips and charms. It was surprising actually, that it was so hard just to find a simple chain bracelet now days. Surely there had to be more people other than Katie that liked the simple style jewellery.

Slowly they made their way around the shop, looking at everything, pointing at this and that. John was actually somewhat trying to help now other than complaining. Garrett suspected that he was only trying to help so he could get to the food hall quicker.

Since they had entered this shop the lady that seemed to be the only worker had been busy with other people, but as they got around near the gold section, she started walking over to them. Garrett pretended not to notice her and look busy, so she wouldn’t bother them.

“Hi, can I help you?”

So much for wishful thinking. Garrett turned to face her and wondered if he should say yes. This lady looked nice enough, but then again, so did the previous two.

“Yeah, my friend here is looking for present for his girlfriend.” John spoke up, nudging Garrett’s arm.

The lady turned her attention over to him.

“What are you looking for? Ring? Necklace?”

“Bracelet. Just something that is simple but pretty.” Garrett said running a hand though his hair. “Not gold.”

The lady hummed and gestured for them to follow her. She led them back over to the silver bracelets they were looking at earlier. Pointing at a small group hanging on a stand she looked up at them.

“These are our silver collection, pretty popular right now. Are you looking for something like this or something more basic than these?”

“More basic. I’m looking for like just a chain bracelet or even an anklet.” Garrett explained.

The lady looked down at the bracelets in the display thoughtfully before excusing herself to get her keys. John shot Garrett a hopeful look, and then turned his glance out the shop door. He wasn’t the only one getting hungry. Sadly for John, Garrett was determined to find something for Katie before they would sit down to eat.

The lady returned as quickly as she left and unlocked a cabinet underneath where the silver bracelets were. She pulled out a long black display case covered in at least 20 or more chains that glittered brightly under the shop lights.

“These were the bracelets on display before we got in our Christmas stock. A lot more variety as well.”

Garrett followed her over to the counter where she placed the case down. Some of the chains were muddled up and the lady was quick to straighten them out. John reached over Garrett’s shoulder and gently picked up the end of a random chain, looked at it for a moment then placing it back down.

There was a lot that looked very nice; a couple were obviously men’s bracelets, some that were very much like the ones behind the display glass but then he spotted the simple chains. He grinned, a little surprised that he finally found a shop that had what he wanted.

“Is there any there that you like?” The lady asked, and then pointed to one of the chains Garrett was looking at. “Is this the style that you were looking for? Basic but beautiful?”

“Yeah. I like those three.” He nodded.

The lady pulled out the three bracelets that Garrett had pointed to and placed them out on the counter. One of them had a small little bit hanging from the chain, for being engraved most likely. It was nice but not as good as the other two. He told the lady that and she put that one back with the others.

Staring down at the two that was left, Garrett didn’t know which one to pick. The only difference was the chain pattern; one had a bit more twist than the other and possibly slightly larger links. It was hard to tell.

John shifted behind Garrett getting restless again.

“Seeing as you came here to help me,” Garrett said looking over his shoulder at John. “Which one do you think?”

John blinked a little surprised and Garrett watched on amused as John looked down at the jewellery. After a moment John pointed to the left one.

“Awesome, I’ll take that one.” Garrett grinned pointing to the right bracelet.

John huffed and walked out of the shop mumbling something about food and that Garrett had to buy his own. Christmas this year was going to be good one and Garrett made a mental note to charge his camera, ready for when Katie opened her present.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hoped you liked it and thanks for reading! :)

My dad, brother and I had to go through that exact some thing to find a bracelet for my mum for Christmas. All she wanted was something simple but pretty. We had to go to a shop in a different town to find something. It was stupid. At least we eventually found something.