Status: One Shot

Have You Ever Really Danced On the Edge?

Have You Ever Really Danced On the Edge?

Kellin sighed as he sat down on his bed, phone in hand. He went into his contact list and pressed his thumb on the name 'Patrick Stump' until he was directed to another screen. Kellin then selected call and pressed the slim, black device to his right ear. As it rang, Kellin allowed his thoughts to drift to Vic, something that was happening more and more often. He couldn't stop thinking about the small, Mexican boy. His hair, his eyes, his smile... Everything about the other boy was perfect, and Kellin-
"Hello?" Patrick's voice drew Kellin out of his daze.
"Hey, Patrick," Kellin greeted the older boy. Patrick was in senior year (whereas Kellin and Vic were sophomores) along with his boyfriend, Pete. Which was the main reason Kellin was calling him.
"Hi, Kellin. What's the- mmf, Pete- what's the matter?" The blonde boy asked. Kellin could hear Pete mumbling in the background, earning a grumble from his boyfriend.
"Sorry, I didn't realise you were with Pete... I can call back later..." Kellin apologised. As much as he needed to talk to Patrick, he didn't want to take him away from his boyfriend, who Kellin knew could get extremely restless, extremely quickly.
"No, don't worry." Patrick said quickly. "Pete, stop- what's wrong?"
"It's just... Well, I think- no, I know- I like this guy-" Kellin started.
"You like a guy?" Patrick interrupted.
"He likes a guy?" Pete repeated from over the line. Kellin nodded, forgetting that he was speaking over the phone for a moment. "Yeah."
"Who is it?" Patrick asked excitedly.
"It's... Um. It's Vic." Kellin admitted quietly, blushing furiously. He was glad that Patrick, and even more so Pete, couldn't see him.
"Vic! For how long?"
"Like... A couple of months." Kellin shrugged. In truth, he had probably liked Vic from the moment they'd met, in the first week of freshman year. He just didn't know what his feelings were until about two months ago, at Vic's birthday party.
"Well, why didn't you tell me before? You know what? It doesn't matter. Just tell me what your problem is." Patrick commanded.
"Well, it's just, I already know that Vic's bi, so it's okay, but I wanna ask him out, and I guess I just don't know how to do it."
"I'm kind of the wrong person to ask, then," Kellin felt his heart sink, "because Pete's the one who asked me out. So I'm gonna pass the phone to him."
"What?! Patrick I don't think-" Kellin liked Pete, he was nice and funny, but he would probably just make fun of him, instead of helping.
"Be nice Pete. Actually help him." Kellin heard Patrick tell his boyfriend.
"I'm always nice, 'Trick," Pete protested. Kellin heard rustling from their side of the phone, and then, "Hey, Kellin."
"Hi, Pete." Kellin said.
"So, you wanna know how to ask Vic out?"
"Yeah, I'm really desperate at this point-"
"So if I told you to kidnap and rape him you'd do it?"
"Pete!" Patrick exclaimed. A sound that seemed to be a slap met Kellin's ear, followed by a loud 'OW'.
"Alright, sorry. So erm... I don't know what to tell you-"
"Maybe you could just tell me how you asked Patrick out?" Kellin suggested. Apparently that was the wrong thing to say.
"How I asked Patrick out?" Pete began to chuckle "Well, we already had two mutual friends, Andy and Joe, and at the beginning of junior year they introduced us. And the first thing I said to him was 'you're going to be my husband'. And he was completely unimpressed by that, and so I kind of kept on saying stupid things like that, until he said 'if you want to go out with me, it would be easier to ask'. So I just asked him out, and he said yes." Pete retold.
"That's... It?" Kellin asked dumbly, disbelieving.
"Yep. That's all there is too it." Pete said happily.
"A bunch of dumb pick up lines?" Kellin clarified.
"Yeah. That won't necessarily work on Vic though. Go with your heart, or something dumb like that. Do what your gut tells you, or just kiss him, do whatever."
"Are you serious? No offense, that's really cute and all, but that's really unhelpful."
"Look, Kellin," Patrick again. "I honestly have no idea what you should do, maybe actually listen to Pete and do whatever your gut tells you. Go on your first instinct."
Kellin sighed and nodded, rubbing his eyes with his left hand wearily. "Yeah, alright Patrick. Thanks. and thank Pete too."
"Yeah I... Will -Pete will you stop for one second?! Bye Kellin."
Kellin tossed his phone onto his bed, still slightly confused but with a bit more of an idea of what he was doing.
!@#$%&*?/
"Hey, Kellin!" Vic called across the hall when he arrived in school the next day. Kellin waved from his locker and walked to meet Vic halfway across. He looked adorable (as usual) with a dark blue beanie resting on his brown curls and an Asking Alexandria t-shirt on his thin frame, matched with tight black skinny jeans. Vic leaned forward and pulled Kellin into a tight but swift hug. Kellin could have quite happily died then. He looked up to see Pete, who was talking to Andy, smirk at him slightly and point to his gut. Or was it his groin? He couldn't really tell with Pete.
"Vic, do you wanna, um, go on a walk with me?" Kellin offered lamely.
"Sure." Vic nodded and followed Kellin out of the school building, around to the surrounding sports fields. Once they reached the tennis courts, Kellin stopped and looked at Vic, his wide, brown eyes staring back at him.
"Kellin?" He asked softly.
"Vic. Look, don't hate me, but I um..." Kellin trailed off, unsure how to phrase it. Instead, he leaned forward and pressed his lips to Vic's. Going with his gut. And the kiss was wonderful, and perfect and everything that Kellin had hoped it would be.
As he reluctantly pulled away, he looked at Vic, whose expression was unreadable.
Which Kellin could only interpret to mean he hadn't wanted or enjoyed it.
"I... Oh God, I'm sorry Vic I just thought..." Kellin could just about feel his heart breaking. "Can we just pretend it never happened-"
"You shut up, Kellin." Vic growled, eyes shining.
"What?"
"Don't you dare tell me to just 'forget' about the kiss I've been waiting a year for-"
"Wait. A year?" Kellin repeated incredulously. Vic wanted to kiss him?
"Yes, a year. That's not the point Kellin, the point is I wanted to kiss you, and I'm not pretending it didn't happen or anything. In fact, I'm doing it again."
"You a-" Kellin was cut off by Vic's lips planted on his once again, Vic tugging on his shirt. He eagerly returned the kiss, so overcome with happiness and excitement that he felt as though he was going to explode.
The two boys only broke apart when they heard cheering across the court. They looked up to see Pete and Patrick, both smiling, and Pete was pumping his fist and whooping, much to the disdain of his calmer, more mature boyfriend. Kellin blushed and hid behind his hair, while Vic laughed and placed a hand under his chin so their eyes would meet.
"Wanna be my boyfriend, Kellin?" Vic asked, a smile playing on his lips.
"Yeah," Kellin smiled and Vic kissed him on the cheek before leading him back to the school, ignoring Pete's catcalls.
♠ ♠ ♠
So there you have it! A fluffy little one shot I just had the sudden inspiration for. Hope you enjoyed it! :)