Status: Completely Rewritten!

All the Marks

Jeremy Beane

Emily pulled her arms closer to her body as the cold fall air rushed over her. As she got closer to the practice pitch, she noticed most of Gryffindor had shown up, and she knew Ron and Harry would be very proud of themselves. About 20 or 30 guys had grouped in the middle of the pitch and looked as though they were discussing the rules of the game and splitting into teams.

Emily looked through the stands before spotting Neville sitting next to Ginny. Ginny was carrying on a conversation with her friends and Neville didn’t appear to be paying much attention. He was always shy around girls, even if it was only Ginny. He looked up at Emily and smiled, patting an open place next to him. She stepped around a few girls before plopping down next to Neville.

“I can’t believe it’s only October and it’s this cold.” Emily scooted closer to Neville, leaning into his warm body. “Why aren’t you out there playing?”

“Emily, I can’t believe my best friend is really asking me that question. You know I’m probably the worst flyer in Hogwarts’ history.”

“It’s okay, Nev. I’m sure Seamus won’t do much better.” Emily winked at him and he smiled back at her.

“I’ve never really understood everyone’s fascination with this game. I really find it rather boring.”

“Wanna duck out early?” Emily smiled.

“We can’t. Seamus and Dean will be wondering where we’ve gone.”

“Oh please, Dean will be with Ginny and Seamus will be basking in his own glory. Neither of them will know the difference. Please, Neville? It’s so cold and I’d really love some hot cocoa.”

Neville sighed and stood up, Emily following close behind him.

Emily and Neville were sitting in front of the fireplace, sipping their hot chocolate, when half of Gryffindor stepped into the room. Most of the girls were laughing and talking very loud, trying to get the attention of the winning boys. A few of the more quiet ones went up to their beds while the rest gawked at the boys’ feet. A couple of third years had cornered Ron and Harry, and they seemed to love it.

The crowded common room was too much for Emily to handle, so she told Neville she was going to head to sleep early. She stood up from the sofa and walked over to the stairs. Before she could begin climbing up them, Ron placed himself in front of her.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He asked, folding his arms across his chest.

“Well, if you must know, I was just going to go to bed early. This is all just a little too crazy for me.”

“Oh, no. I don’t think so. You left the match early and missed my amazing performance. I’m certainly not going to let you miss hearing about it.” Ron grabbed Emily’s wrist and pulled her back to the sofa. She sat down on one end while he sat on the other. Emily lifted her legs up onto the sofa and turned herself to face him.

She raised her eyebrow at Ron, “Tell me, Ron. When did you get all cocky?”

“Me, cocky? Never,” Ron winked at her and smiled, “Now pay attention because you’re about to hear the most amazing story ever told, and it’s all true. I’m not going to exaggerate whatsoever.”

Emily smiled at him, but hardly paid attention to what he was saying. She didn’t understand many of the terms he was using but she could tell he was very excited about it. Ron was moving his arms all over the place and Emily had to stop herself from laughing.

After a long while, Ron finished telling the story of his amazing quidditch match and when Emily looked away from Ron, she realized the room was nearly empty. A few girls stood in the corner, swooning over Fred and George, but aside from them, it appeared as though everyone else had gone to bed.

Emily looked back to Ron and smiled, “So no one caught the snitch?”

Ron shook his head, his red hair moving with it, “Nah, it was getting late so we decided whoever got to 200 points first won.”

A girl in the corner laughed very loudly, snorting in the process. Ron and Emily turned to look at her, then back at each other, a smug look on both of their faces.

Emily giggled and Ron gave her a lopsided smile.

“So, I guess I’ll see you at breakfast, then?” Ron asked, moving off of his place on the sofa.

Emily smiled, nodding her head, “That sounds great.”

Ron reached his hand out to Emily, pulling her gently from her seat. He moved forward, his hand gently wrapped around hers, and led her to the girl’s dormitory staircase.

“Goodnight, Em,” Ron said, releasing his grip on her hand.

“Goodnight, Ronald.”