Status: Completely Rewritten!

All the Marks

Jacob Eck

Emily spooned some soup in her mouth as Seamus and Dean had the same fight they’d had at breakfast and lunch. Emily really didn’t care who had played better at last night’s quidditch match, but Seamus and Dean wouldn’t stop talking about it. This time, Harry and Ron were joining in on the argument. Thankfully, Neville didn’t care much about quidditch, so Emily always had him to talk to.

“What are you doing tonight, Em? Do you want to play Wizard’s Chess with me?”

“Oh, Nev. I’ve got a lot of studying I have to do tonight, but Hogsmeade is tomorrow, so we can go together if you’d like.

“Of course I’d like to. We always go to Hogsmeade together.”

Emily smiled at Neville and he began to tell her about an extra project he was working on in herbology.

After Emily had excused herself from dinner, she walked into the deserted potions classroom and found Jacob Eck already waiting. He smiled at her and she closed the door behind her.

Image


Emily walked into the Gryffindor Common Room and found that it was deserted. She popped a piece of gum in her mouth and lay down on the sofa, staring up at the ceiling.

“Em, what are you doing here all by yourself?”

Emily sat up as she felt the other end of the sofa sink in where the redhead had sat. “I just got back from the library and I’m not really tired, so I figured I’d just lay here for a while.” Emily had been lying for so long the words seemed to roll off her tongue easier than the truth.

Ron looked at her, head tilted to the side, “That’s funny. I was just in the library and I didn’t see you there.”

“Well, it’s a big library,” Emily said, casually.

“I guess it is.” Ron paused, looking from the fireplace then back to her, “Emily?”

“Yes, Ron?”

Ron opened his mouth, then shut it again, attempting to gather his words, “You’ve got a thing for Neville, don’t you?”

Emily nearly shot up as he spoke, “What? What makes you think that?”

“Well, this is just one instance, but yesterday, when we were down at the pitch, I saw you cuddling up next to him in the stands.”

“Oh, no. Ron, there’s nothing between me and Neville. Nothing at all. He’s my best friend.”

“Does he know that?” Ron said, a small smirk on his face.

Emily laughed, “Yes, Ron. All we have ever been is friends. He knows that and I know that.”

“Good,” Ron said, placing his hands firmly in his lap, “Then I won’t be crossing any lines when I ask you to go to Hogsmeade with me.”

Emily smiled, “Well, no, I guess you wouldn’t be.”

“Then I’ll see you at The Three Broomsticks tomorrow at 6?”

Emily nodded, “That sounds perfect.”

Ron stood, moving from his place on the sofa. He stopped in front of Emily and smiled, “Don’t be late.”

Ron stepped away from Emily, heading towards the boys’ dormitory. She smiled to herself, relishing in the fact that a boy had asked her on a date, in a public place, instead of in a broom closet.