Status: Completely Rewritten!

All the Marks

Adam Pierce

Emily walked out of the broom closet and shut the door behind her, leaving Jacob alone to catch his breath. The chiming of the clock in front of her signaled it was five o’clock and time for her to meet Neville for dinner.

When she walked into the Great Hall, she spotted Neville right away and moved over towards him.

“This is the first time you haven’t been late in weeks,” Seamus called as she approached.

“Oh, I know. I made a weekend resolution,” Emily said, taking her seat next to Neville.

“A weekend resolution not to be late?” Dean asked, “That’s new.”

Emily laughed, “That’s not it. I vowed to do everything I could to keep Seamus from getting moody, and I know how mad he gets when I’m late.”

Seamus glared at her and she glared back, challenging him.

He smiled at her, “I also hate when you wear your hair like that.”

Emily frowned, running her fingers through her hair, “I always wear my hair this way.”

“I know.”

“You are so rude,” Emily said, pulling her hair back.

Seamus laughed, tugging at Emily’s hair, “You sound surprised.”

Dean interjected, “That’s enough you two. We have an intermural quidditch game we need to think about.”

“Intermural quidditch? When did that happen?” Emily asked, taking a sip of her water.

“Well, Harry’s rec game was such a big hit, we decided to make it an all the time thing. Dumbledore approved because Madame Hooch said it would help with our flying skills. Not that I need much help.”

Emily laughed, “Well aren’t you modest.”

“Always, and I don’t plan on losing either. Doesn’t look good in front of the ladies,” Dean said, lifting up his arms and flexing his muscles.

“Oh please. Merlin only knows why Ginny likes you, but it certainly isn’t for any quidditch skills you think you have.”

“Says the girl who hasn’t had a boyfriend in the 5 years I’ve known her.”

Emily glared at Dean, then turned to Neville, ignoring Dean’s comment, “You gonna play, Nev? I will if you do.”

Seamus interrupted, “Woah, what? There’s no way you’re playing. No one is going to want you on their team, Em.”

Her mouth dropped open as her fork hit her plate, “What? Why not? I’m not that bad, and it’s just for fun anyways.”

Seamus sighed, placing his silverware gently on the table. He placed his elbows in front of him, folding his hands gently, “Emily, you’ve taken flying lessons three times and you still can’t stay on a broom for more than five minutes without falling off. You’re that bad.”

Emily glared at Seamus, “I guess I’ll just have to learn then. Will you teach me, Neville?”

Dean erupted in laughter, “Oh that would be a sight! Hogwarts two worst flyers taking lessons from each other.”

“Who’s taking flying lessons?” Ron asked, placing his hand on Emily’s shoulder, startling her. She jumped, placing her hand against her heart.

She laughed, “Ron, I didn’t see you there.”

“Of course not. You were too busy arguing with me,” Dean laughed.

Ron smiled and turned to Emily, “Are you gonna be at the rec game tonight?”

Emily turned to Neville and he nodded. “Yeah, I guess me and Neville are going to watch.”

“Great. I’ll see you there,” Ron said, before turning to Dean and Seamus, “You guys better get your game faces on. We’ve got a match to win.”

Ron turned back to Harry and Hermione, who were quietly exiting the Great Hall, and followed them through the wooden doors.

When Ron was out of ear shot, Dean turned to back to Emily, “What was that? You got a thing for Ron?”

“Oh, no. It’s nothing,” Emily said, lowering her head in an attempt to cover her smile.

Neville grinned, “She’s lying. They went to Hogsmeade together.”

Emily turned to Neville, glaring at him, but he just smiled at her.

Seamus laughed, “Oh, well that’s cute. Emily is finally settling down.”

“Settling down? I went on one date, Seamus. I’m not getting married,” Emily smiled, “I’m gonna go study. I’ll see you guys in the common room.”

Emily stood up from her seat, placing her feet softly against the stone floor. She pulled her hair back in front of her face and walked through the large wooden doors, stepping out of the Great Hall.