Status: Completely Rewritten!

At the Ball

Ron Weasley

I had been waiting for this moment all night. I placed both of my hands on corresponding sides of the large wooden double doors, pushing them open, for my not-so-grand entrance.

Luna and Harry trailed behind me as I stepped into Hogwarts’ version of a winter wonderland. I had reluctantly come alone, but not because I couldn’t find a date. In fact, it would have been rather easy to snatch up one of the Hogwarts’ trolls to accompany me. I simply refused to lower my standards after I had been shot down by Fleur.

After entering the ball, the three of us engaged in awkward conversation until Harry excused himself to grab some punch, leaving me alone with Luna. I began searching the room for a feasible escape. Neville, Dean, and Seamus were standing in a circle on the opposite side of the dance floor and I figured they were my best bet.

I looked from them, through the dance floor, and back to where I was standing, attempting to map out a clear path through the dancing students. I moved my eyes passed the group of girls dancing very provocatively and the couple dancing a little too close, through the mosh pit forming in the center, until they landed on the most beautiful girl I had ever seen.

Her caramel colored hair flowed gently over her pale pink dress. Our eyes met and she smiled at me, before returning her attention back to the boy whose arms were wrapped around her waist. Hermione was, of course, dancing with Krum.

I hated to admit it, but they looked nice together. I could never compete with Krum. His muscles were so big he could barely stuff them into his dress robes. He could take me out with one punch if he needed to. He was the guy all of the girls pined over and Hermione was just beautiful enough to be with him.

I had no idea how Krum managed to catch Hermione without me even noticing. I suppose I hadn’t been paying as much attention to her as I usually did, but I was busy with quidditch.

The more I think about it, the gladder I am I didn’t know about it when it was happening. I’m not sure how I would have reacted had Hermione told me she was falling for this boy.

When I found out they were together from Ginny, I tried to avoid her as much as possible. I couldn’t risk her telling me she was in love with him.

I turned to Luna, “Do you wanna dance?”

“With you?” she asked, staring at me quizzically.

I nodded, “Of course.”

I didn’t much want to dance with Luna, but I was attempting to get my mind off of Hermione. I tried not to think of them being together as Luna flailed about in front of me. Luckily, Harry came back before it got too bad.

Harry walked up with his hands in his pockets, “Do either of you know why Cho isn’t here with Cedric?”
Luna looked at Harry and smiled, “I will go find out for you, Harry.”

“Oh, no. Luna, you don’t have to.”

Harry attempted to stop her, but she was gone before he got the chance. It was at that moment that I noticed I had not seen my sister all night. I searched the dance floor for a few minutes before my eyes landed on Hermione and Krum once again.

That was a bust, so I decided I would look outside. Even if I didn’t find her out there, at least I would be able to get some air and not have to watch the two of them any longer.

I walked the halls for only a few minutes before I heard a very distinct noise coming from behind one of the classroom doors. I could not believe my sister. She was supposed to be an angel and had ditched the dance to be alone with a boy, in a classroom. Neville was my sister’s date and one of my closest friends. I didn’t think he’d ever be the one to manipulate my sister into seeing him behind closed doors.

It was then that I remembered I had just seen Neville at the dance, without Ginny. I became enraged. I was not going to allow my sister to be violated by some unknown upperclassman.

I slammed open the classroom door yelling, “What do you think you’re doing?”

My vision was directed to one of the desks in the middle of the room, where a boy lay over a girl, staring at me. That boy was Viktor Krum and the girl underneath him was not my sister, and it was most definitely not Hermione. This angered me even more.

“Oi, mate! What do you think you’re doing? You’re supposed to be with Hermione, my best friend, and you’re in here snogging some other girl!”

Krum looked up at me, “Back off, Weasley. What Granger doesn’t know won’t hurt her.”

That sent me in an uproar.

I charged at him, my fists flying everywhere. He hopped off the desk and charged right back at me. He gave me one right hook and I was on the floor.

When I woke up, I found myself alone in a dark classroom, and I remembered everything. I stumbled out of the room, heading back to the dance so I could get another piece of Krum. Well, my first piece actually.

The moment I walked in, Hermione rushed towards me.

“Ronald, what happened to your eye?” she asked, grazing her fingers over it.

I ignored her question, pushing her fingers away from my face, “Where’s Krum?”

“He left, said he had to do something with a few of the Durmstrang boys. He’s coming back to see me later tonight. What happened to you?”

I didn’t want to tell her. I didn’t want to see her hurt.

“I ran into a door.”

Hermione glared, “Oh, please. Ronald, that is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. You tell me the truth right this instant.”

I paused, taking a deep breath, “Promise you won’t get mad?”

She nodded, “Of course.”

I took a deep breath, “Well, I know where Krum really is.”

“What do you mean and what does that have to do with your black eye?”

“Let me explain. I left the dance to go look for Ginny and I thought I heard her in one of the classrooms so I opened the door. I walked in on a boy and a girl snogging, but the girl wasn’t Ginny. It was Fleur, and she was with Krum. I was so mad at him for hurting you like that, so I charged at him. I got in a few good punches before he threw a cheap shot and knocked me on the floor. I put up a good fight though.”

Hermione’s head lowered to the floor, her gaze landing somewhere beneath us. She paused, looking from the floor back up to me.

She looked so upset and I had no clue what I could say to her to make her feel better. I wanted to tell her she was the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen and she deserved better than Krum.

I wanted to tell her I had been in love with her since the first day I saw her and she needed to be with me.

But I would never work up the courage so instead I wrapped my arms around her and whispered in her ear, “It’s going to be alright, Hermione.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much to my two commenters, Maddi; and Tom Marvolo Riddle! You guys are so sweet!