Wendy's Tale

London

Tom Hiddleston woke early. He padded barefoot from his bedroom through to the bathroom. He tried the door. It was locked. He stood there in his pyjamas puzzled.

He lent back and looked into the living room. Wendy's nest was empty.

He tapped lightly on the door.

"Wendy sweetheart, I need to get ready, you know I have an important meeting today. Will you be long?"

He could hear something clatter on to the floor then an annoyed chattering from the other side of the locked door.

'Oh dear' he thought, this morning she was grumpy for some reason. So much for Wendys being pure joy and laughter. He was told that once. What had he done to annoy Wendy now?

He swallowed hard, he'd regret this. He knocked lightly again.

He heard the latch unlock and the door opened.

Wendy fluttered out and hovered in front of Tom. She gave him a hard stare, said nothing and then fluttered towards the kitchen.

"What were you even doing in there? Never mind silly of me to ask anymore." he mumbled quietly to himself.

Since he had come back from Hiddlesgard and Wendy had appeared, she had investigated everywhere and everything. That funny little moustache who really was alive And real.He even found her in the bottom of a cereal box as he was about to pour some into a bowl for breakfast. She hadn't eaten anything, she was just fascinated with the box.

Tom sighed and entered the bathroom and locked the door.

A short while later he emerged damp from a hot shower, a towel wrapped tightly around his waist. He pushed strands of wet hair back over his head and looked annoyed.

"Wendy have you been drinking the shower gel again?"...

He heard a hiccup and a muffled giggle coming from the living room.

"Sweetheart it's not for drinking."

He sighed and walked back to the bedroom and got dressed. He put on a smart black suit, then discovered he was missing something.

He walked into the living room. Wendy was sitting on her nest watching Tom. Her eyes almost hidden by the soft blanket surrounding her. There was mischief in them.

Tom went to the sofa and lifted the cushions looking for something. Wendy's eye's narrowed, she was smiling. She crouched lower in her nest but kept watching Tom.

He sighed and looked confused. He stood up straight, a puzzled look on his face, then headed off to the bedroom. He was talking quietly to himself.

Wendy quietly giggled to herself. Then she yawned. She had been exploring for most of the night while Tom slept, so now she felt a little tired.

She had tried to explore as quietly as she could. It was a little difficult finding her way around a strange place in the dark. She found all sorts of interesting things she could play with; string, a button and a black and white feather.

She had squirrelled them away in her secret place, ready for when she needed them.

"Wendy..." Tom shouted from the bedroom.

"Have you seen my red tie?"

He walked back into the living room. He knew she was up to mischief. He could tell by looking at her.

She sank lower in her blanket nest and wiggled her whiskers at him.

Tom walked over and crouched down next to her.

"Darling you know I have an important meeting today, please... My tie?..."

Wendy gave a disappointed chirp and set off for the kitchen. She returned later carrying the tie.

With raised eyebrows Tom took the tie from her.

"I am not going to ask why you had it in the kitchen." He sighed, putting it on

Wendy giggled and fluttered around him doing a little dance.

Tom smiled and gave her a little tickle. She giggled and rolled a somersault in mid air.

"Now something for breakfast before I have to go."

As he walked into the kitchen he found a cup of steaming hot black coffee waiting for him on the kitchen table. There were also two soft boiled eggs and some hot buttered toast.

"Thank you Wendy. He said that was very thoughtful and kind of you." He sat down smiling then started to eat.

Wendy fluttered about the kitchen, tidying up. She was humming a little song to herself as she worked.

Tom finished his breakfast and wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"Will you be ok whilst I go to this meeting?"

Wendy stopped tidying and fluttered over to Tom. She brushed some crumbs from his suit jacket and straightened his tie. She chirped once which Tom understood was a yes.

"Ok" he said getting up. "I will be back about midday."

She fluttered ahead of him and waited by the door.

"Now don't get up to any mischief while I'm gone." he said opening the door.

Wendy gave an annoyed little growl.

"Ok, ok" Tom laughed. "I nearly lost you once before and I don't want to ever lose you. So please be good."

He tickled her whiskers and then left closing the door behind him.

As soon as the door clicked Wendy somersaulted into the living room and to her secret stash of things.

She sorted through what she had. She took out her button and gazed lovingly at it. Her button, she smiled. Then she took out the small black and white feather and rested it on the side of her blanket.

Tom alway left a small window open in his apartment to let fresh air in for Wendy but she did know she was not allowed outside. She missed flying in the wide open spaces of outside but she knew it was important that she did as Tom asked. Besides when she had looked out of the window there were lots of noisy and strange things she had not seen before. Not like Hiddlesgard. So she was happy to stay inside.

There was quite a breeze blowing outside today and Wendy could feel it on her whiskers. The air smelt so inviting. She took a long deep breath then sighed. The feather sitting next to her lifted clear of the blanket and caught on the breeze.

Wendy grew excited. Something to play with, something to chase. She followed the feather as it danced around the living room, caught in the breeze. Wendy was transfixed by it and followed it, diving and swooping ahead of it. She giggled excitedly as a gust of wind caught it and away it flew from her, out of the open window. Wendy didn't think she automatically followed it.

Onward and away from Tom's apartment floated the feather, carried on the breeze. Wendy carried on after it giggling and dancing.

She was too preoccupied with the feather to notice a dark shadow pass in front of the sun behind her. It could also fly and was out hunting for food.

It turned and followed her flight, edging closer and closer. Wendy, blissfully unaware of the danger carried on following the feather. Then she paused and hovered. Panic set in. Where was she? Why was she not in Tom's room? She chirped, afraid. Where was Tom? She wanted to be back at Tom's.

She heard a swoop of wings behind her and just in time, swooped out if the way, avoiding being grasped by two huge talons. Now the chase had begun. Wendy against her hunter. She swerved left and right, only just keeping out of reach of the talons. Ahead and below she saw some trees. She dived, straight down. Her hunter may have been more powerful but she was faster. Down she swooped, weaving in and out of the branches of the trees.

After twenty minutes of chasing, the hunter broke off the chase, exhausted. Wendy landed heavily on a branch deep in the tree. She panted heavily, exhausted too.

It took a while for her to recover. She edged slowly along the branch, shaking. There was noise and moving things everywhere. She had no idea where she was. She had totally lost her bearings. She sat quietly on the branch, her eyes wide, she just needed to calm down, but it was so noisy, she couldn't think.

She sat alone, shaking, she just wanted to be back in Tom's apartment. She wanted to be back with Tom...