Wendy's Tale

Shadow man

After the arguments at the kitchen table Freddie had offered to stay behind in Tom's apartment to look after Bill. Bill's condition had improved slightly but he was still too weak to move much. It seemed that with them all being close together, it lessened the real Loki's effect upon them. If they could find Hal it would certainly help them in fighting Loki's magic. The Hiddlesgard Loki although unwilling at first to leave with Tom was reluctant to be in the same building as Freddie so Tom advised him it would be better for them all if he helped Tom look for Hal.

Tom and the Hiddlesgard Loki set off again, this time towards the river. Tom had a very good idea where he may be able to find Hal. Wendy had confirmed his suspicions. They were off to the theatre, the Globe theatre to be exact. Loki this time was strangely quieter. He said little and did not really want to engage with the world around him. He seemed listless and depressed. Totally different to their first outing where Tom had to literally haul him out of shops and away from advancing traffic as they crossed roads. Loki had changed. Tom glanced sideways at Loki as they walked. His faced looked different too, not as sharp, his cheeks sunken, and his eyes not so piercing. Tom wondered how long Loki had been in his world. Perhaps not as long as Bill but he would still be effected by the real Loki's magic. He had his own magic of course and that may have helped sustain him but the longer he was here, his magic would weaken and so would he.

Loki always wore his facade of being untouchable and being stronger than everyone else but inside he was still the wounded young prince would let his emotions twist and coil deep inside him until he resented everyone and everything and he would subjugate and lead worlds. Worlds would kneel before him. But this was Hiddlesgard Loki, not the real Loki when the others had spoken to Tom about him he was more of a prankster, a mischief maker than a god who wanted to rule worlds and have people kneel before him. This Loki looked lost and alone.

Tom hated the silence. They had taken a shortcut through a small side road, lined either side by tall buildings. The road was narrow and the tall buildings cast deep, dark shadows across it. No one was there apart from Tom and Loki. He paused and stood still. Loki walked on a few paces then realized Tom had stopped. He turned and looked back at Tom a puzzled look on his face.

"Well?" asked Tom

"Well what?" Loki frowned not understanding Tom's question.

"Why the sudden change? What's the matter?"

"I do not feel myself today that is all." returned Loki his face emotionless.

"Was it the argument with Freddie in the kitchen?"
Asked Tom.

The debate between those two had become pretty heated. It took all of Tom's negotiation skills to calm the situation down again, however it remained unresolved.

"Today I choose not to converse with anyone. We have a task set before us. I wish to complete that task and return home."

He paused then looked directly at Tom; his eyes looked into Tom's.

"I am tired Midgardian. My strength holds but for how much longer I cannot tell. I am like a puppet doing the bidding of others and I tire of it."

He turned and carried on walking. Tom momentarily stunned by Loki's admission to him, stood on the spot unmoving. He felt Wendy bite his finger; as usual she was in his jacket pocket. He quickly composed himself and jogged after Loki.

He wondered if he should try to get Loki to talk more. This was a major admission by Loki who never spoke about how he was feeling. They still had a way to go before reaching the theatre and Tom could not stand the silence of the journey so far.

"Can I help you?" Tom asked quietly, unsure of Loki's response.

Loki stopped and turned, his face hard, the spark in his eyes had returned.

"I have told you I tire of this whole experience."

"This is a game I prefer not to play." He spoke up towards the sky as if speaking not to Tom but to someone else.

Tom frowned, now not understanding Loki at all. Who was he talking to if not Tom? Maybe it was one of Loki's grand speech theatrics.

He did not have to think too deeply as Loki suddenly turned very pale and his legs buckled beneath him as his sank to the pavement. Tom rushed to catch his arm, stopping him from falling hard. Loki's eyes locked on his and Tom could see he was in pain.

"Loki tell me what's wrong?" Tom was now worried.

"Please try to stand up, you have to try and get up."

Loki's body felt extremely heavy in Tom's arms. It took all his strength to keep him upright. There was a small low wall to their right. Tom sat Loki on it, resting him gently there. He sat down next to him making sure he did not fall.

This was not good at all. Loki was a god, if he was now becoming ill like Bill... but he was not a god was he, thought Tom. He was a character. He was a variation of Tom, an interpretation of Loki. What made Tom think he was powerful like the real Loki? Tom had this foolish belief that being with the Hiddlesgard Loki offered some sort of protection for them all as long as he sided with them. If Loki was now weakening that might explain why he had suddenly lost the spark to fight. This was not good. Tom needed them all. They had to find Hal and fast.

Loki's eyes were now closed but his face showed he was in pain. He grimaced and was breathing heavily.

Tom looked around to see if there was anyone who could help, but then how do you explain you have a sick god from an alternative universe sitting next to you.

He spotted someone at the far end on the road. The figure kept to the shadows, but Tom noticed he was there. He knew that silhouette. He gently propped Loki against the wall of the building and stood up. He wanted words with the shadow. He strode purposefully towards the figure, his face set hard. As he drew close the figure spoke.

"Hello Thomas" The figure's smile turned into a broad smirk.

"Loki." replied Tom sternly.

"How like you the game so far? Interesting variation isn't it. Send your friends here, watch them slowly fade, watch you slowly fade. Watch Hiddlesgard disappear. Quite a simple plan don't you agree? The simplest of plans are always the best." He walked in a circle around Tom. Tom's eyes never left him.

"Sore loser are we?" replied Tom, he didn't care about angering Loki. He was not going to back away.

Loki turned and faced Tom, his eyes blazing.

"Do not toy with me Midgardian. You were only saved last time by your troublesome flying rats. Such a pity, Hiddlesgard is virtually Wendy less now.

Loki's eyes gleamed in pleasure as he saw Tom's face fall.

"Oh" he said mockingly. "Did you not know? Tut tut. How lax of my inferior clone over there." He gazed briefly towards the other Loki. An undisguised look of disgust on his face.

"You know I thought he would be of more use to me. Sadly it seems he has none of my ambition and determination. None of my skills and certainly none of my power. A feeble, lacklustre imitation. And for the briefest of moments I thought I may have had a worthy adversary. It would have been interesting sparing with him, but an ant has not quarrel with a boot. He is nothing. You Thomas however had potential, which is why I chose to play again. Our last game was unfairly ended. This time it is just you and me."

"I don't believe for one second that the Wendys have gone!" Shot back Tom.

He could feel his heart pounding in his chest. He knew Loki was lying. He was a master of lies and deception. He could not rid Hiddlesgard of Wendys. It was not possible.

Loki raised an eyebrow.

"Ohhhhh I see you have fire inside Thomas. That will make this even more enjoyable on my part."

He paused.

"I speak the truth. There may be few rats still but they will be found and disposed of. Hiddlesgard IS disappearing Thomas and there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it and I shall savour every single moment watching you and your friends fight a losing battle."

"This time I will succeed." His smirked turned into a triumphant grin.

Before Tom could reply to Loki he felt his jacket pocket move and could hear angry growling.

'Not now Wendy.' thought Tom, 'please stay, the moment is not now.'

Loki frowned, and then concerned he took a step back before composing himself.

"Your rat is here with you isn't she?" he snarled.

Tom looked back at Loki, he was afraid. Wendy was special Tom knew that. Loki sensed it too. He suddenly felt stronger.

"Something...troubling you Loki?" he asked half smiling, returning Loki's smirk. He knew if he got Loki angry it could be dangerous but right now he did not care. He would stand up to Loki, he would fight him whatever way he could.

Tom's jacket pocket growled louder. He could not hold back Wendy any longer. She shot out from the pocket and flew straight at Loki. He had made her very angry. He had threatened her friends and her family. He had been cruel to the Wendys of Hiddlesgard and had hurt them. She would not let him win. Tom had bravely faced Loki and so would she.

Loki tried to shield his face with his arms. He had expected to meet Tom but not the Wendy too. He had assumed the other Loki had done as he had asked and had separated them again. His eyes blazed toward where the Hiddlesgard Loki sat. He smiled as he saw him clutch his head and scream out in pain.

"No!" Tom cried out. Tom turned and faced the real Loki, he and Wendy advanced towards him.

She was powerful, Loki knew that. The pair of them together were a threat to him. There was something about Tom and Wendy together that Loki could not understand. Together they made him weaker. He was unprepared. He cursed his error of judgment and backed away, his smile wavering.

"What?... no witty retort, so sarcastic follow up? My, my Loki what a turn of events."

Tom walked slowly towards the ever retreating Loki. Wendy had broken away from Loki and was fluttering by Tom's shoulder. She was growling loudly. She would standby by Tom always.

Loki knew he could not beat them here, right now. They were both too stronger still; if he waited... he had other plans. He back slowly into the shadows.

Wendy flew off after him but Tom called her back. He did not want her following Loki into the shadows. He knew she was angry but he did as he asked. He walked forward into the shadow only to find a brick wall ahead of him. Loki had done his usual vanishing trick. He would be back; they just needed to be ready for him. He heard the other Loki groan and then heard a thud as he fell to the ground. He turned and ran to him.

He knelt down beside Loki's body. His breathing was shallow and laboured.

"Loki?" Tom spoke quietly. Wendy fluttered down on to Tom's shoulder. She was confused. She wanted to help Loki but he was also... Loki. It was difficult for her to sense if he would do bad things just like the other Loki, but he was also Tom and Tom would never do bad things. She trusted Tom; she had to trust this Loki. She hopped down off Tom's shoulder and waddled along Loki's chest until she stood directly over his heart. She lay down and curled her whiskers into a tight ball and started to hum. Tom had never see a Huggle heal before and watched fascinated as Wendy started to sing...a gentle quiet song in Wendyese. He could hardly hear her. He rested a hand on Loki's chest. It felt warm. Wendy started to trill and shudder, and then stopped. She uncurled and shook her whiskers. She looked up at Tom and chirped. Tom smiled and rested his hand on Loki's shoulder.

"Loki" he spoke quietly again.

Loki let out a quiet groan. He rubbed a hand along his forehead and opened his eyes slowly, blinking. When he saw Tom and then Wendy he sat upright and slowly started to inch himself away, a look of alarm on his face.

"What did you do? What did she do?" He nodded his head towards Wendy. He stopped when his back touched the brick wall. He was not comfortable being this close to anyone. He had shown weakness. He couldn't be weak. Also he felt different. He felt...warmth...and love. Not by him but from the Wendy. What had she done to him?

"It's ok." reassured Tom. "You were hurt, Wendy healed you."

"No!" shot back Loki, panic in his voice his eyes wide. "No, stay away. Keep her away!"

Wendy ruffled and shook her whiskers. Well, that was not the response she was expecting. Next time perhaps she would just leave him. She humphed and then fluttered up onto Tom's shoulder. She kept humphing and muttering to herself.

Now it was Tom's turn to be confused.

"You know I do not understand you... you were hurt, badly. Wendy did not have to, but she chose to help and this is how you say thank you?"

"I am confused Midgardian, I feel strange, I feel emotions I have kept locked away. I have my reasons for doing so but your Wendy had unlocked where they were kept hidden. I...I... am confused and overwhelmed...and WHY am I confiding this to you?" Loki suddenly looked at both of them with an annoyed look on his face.

"One warble from the Wendy and I suddenly confess my feelings to all and sundry! Why? What sorcery is this?"

Loki hauled himself to his feet and started to brush himself down.

Tom smiled quietly to himself. Loki was back. Wendy was responsible for that and Loki knew that.

"Would you like a hand?" Tom offered his.

"No thank you. I am fine." replied Loki tersely.

"'No thank you', why Loki, you have become positively well mannered" Tom could not help having a little chuckle.

Loki scowled back at him, unhappy he had lowered himself to show his emotions, especially in front of the Wendy.

He walked past Tom and Wendy in silence.

"A brief respite and humour Wendy but Loki is back and we have made him very angry. I do not know what he has planned but we have to stay watchful. I hope we reach Hal in time. I dread to think what Loki is going to do so we need to find him. Is he still at the Globe? Can you tell?"

Wendy sat still on Tom's shoulder and concentrated. She chirped and nodded which Tom understood as a yes.

“Very well, Loki seems recovered well enough, all thanks to you. Are you ok?”

Wendy ruffled her whiskers and chirped a yes. She was lying to Tom and she did not like it. Healing Loki had made her tired. It would normally need more than one Huggle to heal someone with Loki’s wounds. Wendy needed to be with the other Huggles now, but they needed to find Hal. She would be ok but if the real Loki attacked again she was not sure if she could help Tom. She snuggled close to his neck as he caught up with the Hiddlesgard Loki. Right now if the Huggles were not here with her she would stay close to Tom, he helped her to feel stronger…