Wendy's Tale

Morning run

Tom opened his eyes slowly and blinked twice. He was still feeling drowsy. He could feel the warm rays of the sun on his face as the shone through the window. It was still quite early in the morning and the sun had only just appeared. He was still in his armchair. Obviously he had not made it to his bed the previous night to sleep, he thought. That was not too bad he had fallen asleep in his chair before. It was a very comfortable chair.

He frowned, puzzled. Why did his top lip feel funny?...like something was on top of it. He opened his eyes fully, trying to focus. He looked down. One of the Lip Lurkers had draped itself over his lip. It was asleep and snoring quietly. It's thin, double whiskers hung lazily down across his cheeks. Occasionally a whisker would twitch and the Lurker would mumble. Tiny whiskers wafted about near its mouth as it mumbled.

Tom was wide awake now. He didn't know what to do. He had to get up but didn't want to disturb the Lip Lurker. They were not the friendliest of Wendys.

'This could be difficult' thought Tom. He sat still and looked around the room with his eyes. He was surrounded by Wendys. Sparkz was asleep on his shoulder. The Huggles were all asleep on his lap. The other two Lip Lurkers were asleep too, one draped across each arm of the chair. He could not see Horace, but he could hear him moving about on the bookcase.

"Oriss" whispered Tom trying not to move his lips and dislodge the Lip Lurker.

"Oriss" he hissed again.

Horace stopped and fluttered out of a shadowy corner and landed on Tom's knee.

"Can oo 'elp ee?"

Horace nodded and fluttered up to Tom's lip. He gently tapped the Lip Lurker. It opened one eye drowsily and looked at Horace. Tom held his breath. He wasn't sure if this would have a happy ending. Horace chirped quietly at the Lip Lurker and pointed to Tom with a whisker. The Lurker gave Horace a quick glare, then gracefully fluttered from Tom's lip and came to rest on the side table. It stretched and yawned.

By now the Huggles were awake and were stretching and yawning too. They hopped off Tom's lap on to the floor and flopped on to the middle of the rug.

Tom got up out of the chair and stretched. It felt good to stretch the muscles. He headed towards the bathroom. He head was still a little foggy. He needed his morning run. He just needed to change into his running clothes and then back for a shower and breakfast. Still in a dazed he turned on the sink tap and started to fill the bowl with water. He forgot that Sparkz was still asleep on his shoulder. He leant over splashing water on to his face. Sparkz still asleep, tumbled from his shoulder into the sink, the colder water covering him. He woke with a start, splashing and coughing. Tom frantically tried to fish him out with his hands.

"Sparkz! I am so sorry! I am still half asleep. Are you ok?"

Sparkz giggle in Tom's open palms and then dived back into the water. He was having fun and loved water. He playfully splashed water back at Tom. Tom smiled at the little moustache.

"I leave you having fun then"

Sparkz giggled. And playfully splashed Tom again. Tom splashed back, then a water fight broke out. In the end both of them were thoroughly soaked. Tom couldn't help but giggle along with Sparkz.

"Now my little friend I need to go for my run." He patted Sparkz and headed toward the bedroom to get changed.

When he returned to the living room all the Wendys were awake. The Huggles were preparing some food in the kitchen. They were making porridge. The Lip Lurkers had found the television remote control and were tossing it to each other. Tom thought it best to leave them to it. Horace seemed to have it all under control... He hoped. He closed the front door behind him, sighed and then set off for the park.

It was a beautiful clear, fresh morning. His feet pounded rhythmically along the path running along the edge of the park. He loved breathing in the morning air. It helped clear away any cobwebs and made you feel good too. Not many people were in the park, a few dog walkers. He knew a few only by sight, never speaking more than a cheery good morning. Today he saw an elderly lady and a young girl, probably about 10 walking their dog. They didn't live far. He had seen them some mornings leaving a house just across the road. Today the girl seemed interested in something in one of the trees. She waved at Tom as he jogged past. He smiled and waved back. It felt good to be out in the fresh air. He breathed in deep and gazed upwards , watching the clouds. He noticed a bird circling above. It seemed quite large. Of course he saw birds everyday when he ran, but this one was definitely not as common as a pigeon. He turned the corner shielding his eyes from the glare of the sun. He temporarily lost sight of the bird. 'Shame' he thought, it was interesting to see something other than pigeons. Then he spotted it again. This time it was flying lower. He was not sure but it may have been a bird of prey, with all the pigeons in London there would always be a plentiful supply of food. He had not seen one this close up before. He carried on running and turned the final corner before the park exit gates. To his right some pigeons suddenly took flight, straight into his path. He ducked as they flew over him. Then out of nowhere something hit him square in the stomach and he was knocked hard to the floor. He was heavily winded and it took a few moments for him to catch his breath. Whatever hit him flapped wildly above his head, talons outstretched. He wrapped his arms protectively around his face as the bird came at him again. He could see its eyes. They burned bright green. 'No', he thought. 'It can't be not here, not now!' The bird screeched loudly at him, grasping at his arms with its talons. All the while the pigeons swirled around him too, if anyone was looking toward them it would just look like a huge flock of birds, Tom hidden from sight. One of the bird's claws scratched his arm. Tom cried out and clutched his arm to his body. The bird glared at him. Their eyes held each others gaze. The bird's eyes burned bright and seemed to be searching his looking for answers. Then the bird suddenly stopped. Hovered a few feet above his head, gave him one final glare, then flapped its wings wildly, soaring up into the sky and then it was gone. The pigeons cleared too, leaving Tom sitting on the path, alone. The dog walkers at the other end of the park did no seem to have noticed what had happened. They probably thought it was just a flock of pigeons.

Tom painfully got to his feet and brushed the dirt from his clothes. He had on deep scratch to his arm where the bird had attacked him. It wouldn't take long to get back to apartment and patch it up. He gave one glance back into the sky as he left the park. The bird was nowhere in sight. 'Don't be silly' thought Tom. 'They were just green eyes. That's all that they were. It couldn't be anything else or anybody else could they?' Tom felt a tingle run down the back of his spine, he suddenly felt uncomfortable being in the park, he wanted to get back home as quickly as he could. He was puzzled and confused seeing those eyes... He knew who those eyes belonged to.

........................................................

Wendy had stay the the tree all night. It had been noisy and very scary. She had sat at the base of the branch up against the tree trunk, hardly daring to move. This world Tom lived in was so very different to Hiddlesgard. The machines here were very noisy and made nasty smells. The air did not seem as clear and fresh to Wendy as it did in Hiddlesgard. There were lots of people too. Far more than in Hiddlesville, the capital city. Wendy wished she had stayed at Tom's and had not followed the feather out of the window. But she had wanted to play so much. Tom had been very busy lately and although he spent as much time as possible with Wendy, he could not always play games with her. She missed that. There was always time for fun and looning in Hiddlesgard.

She sat shivering on the branch all through the night. Normally she would be able to sense where Tom was but the place was so new and confusing she could not think straight. She tried to cover her ears from all the noise. She stayed still in the tree until morning, but then all the noise started again. There were people too. Not many but the kept walking past her tree. People were running too, lots of running. If she didn't feel so scared she would have flown out into the open space and watched. She swallowed hard. She had to try and be brave. She slowly edged along the branch. Tiny whiskered steps. She peeked through the leaves. There was an elderly lady with her dog. She was throwing a ball and the dog would run after it. Wendy smiled weakly she remembered playing with Tom. She liked the look of that game with the ball. She swallowed hard. No matter how scared she was she had to try and get back to Tom.

"Hello?" A voice below her called out. Startled, Wendy nearly fell off the branch. She found her balance and gingerly peeked down to where the voice had come from.

"Hello!" A young girl smiled back at her.

"It's ok you can come down. I won't hurt you."

Wendy edged back along the branch. She wanted so much to go and say hello but she was afraid. She would already be in trouble for leaving Tom's apartment. He would probably be very worried. She couldn't let him worry. Now someone had seen her. Tom had told her she must not be seen by anyone. Not everyone would be friendly and nice like Tom. Wendy was should though that this girl would not hurt her.

"Jenny!, Jenny!" Called out the older woman. "Come on we need to get back. We can come back to the park later."

"Ok Nana!" Shouted back Jenny.

She turned and looked back up at Wendy.

"Please don't go. I have to go now but I'll be back very soon. Please, please stay here." Her eyes pleaded with Wendy. Wendy peeked out over the branch again. She gave a tiny wave.

Jenny clapped her hands and spun round in a circle. She smiled happily.

"I will come back. And I will bring some cake. I'm sure you will like cake it is my favourite. My gran made it. Just wait here I will be back."

With that she skipped back towards her grandmother giggling and smiling. He grandmother smiled kindly at her granddaughter, wrapping a protective arm around her.

"Just what mischief are you up to young lady?" she said smiling.

"Oh nothing I was just talking to a squirrel." replied Jenny.

Just before they left the park she turned and waved back towards Wendy's tree.

Jenny's promise of cake had made Wendy realise she was hungry, very hungry. She watched the girl leave the park and walk a short distance to one of the houses. Perhaps... thought Wendy...it's not that far. She could make it if she was quick and careful. She had not seen the bad bird for while. There had been a big flock of pigeons flying around. She had made sure though she was well hidden and sat deep in the branches of the tree. she could not see much through branches but she was safe. If she kept to the trees and edged her way around she could make it to the girls' house. She needed to eat. Once she had eaten something she could then try and find Tom. She had to be brave and face her fear. This place was different to Hiddlesgard but she would be strong. She had to get back to Tom...