Wendy's Tale

Biscuits

Nothing else eventful had happened so far so Tom had risked popping out for some food supplies at the local supermarket as the Wendys had more or less eaten all the breakfast cereal. They also seemed to be keen tea drinkers as he was now completely out of tea bags. He couldn't understand how they could drink so much, but the tea was disappearing at an alarming rate. Tom thought about it, he had not actually seen the Huggles drink that much tea. They made him plenty of cups of tea but he had never really see them drink it. The Lip Lurkers... Well he wouldn't put it past the lip Lurkers to drink all of the tea. He had caught a couple of them, he forgot which two exactly. They were sitting in the biscuit tin when he opened it, crumbs all over their whiskers. On being discovered they grumbled at him then calmly pulled the lid back over them and carried on eating the biscuits. Every so often Tom could hear muffled cackling coming from the biscuit tin in the cupboard. To him it sounded like they were telling each other jokes.

He stood in the checkout queue in the supermarket now with extra tea supplies, some more biscuits and cereal. He had not seen the bird anymore and nothing else weird had happened. He had tried to find out more about what Horace had meant by the Loki.Missing. All. Missing. message he had written for Tom. However, sadly the communication had broken down between them. Horace had tried to explain more but his English writing skills were very limited. Tom had worked out that apparently Loki was missing from Hiddlesgard, but what did all missing mean? If Loki was missing was he was now here? That worried Tom. Loki here would mean big trouble, especially if he wanted to take revenge on Tom for losing the game he had arranged for Them both to play. Tom had won.

The walk back to his apartment was slow, his arm was sore but it was healing nicely, the Huggles had helped with that. Thoughts flew around his head as he walked. He had to stay sharp and keep a lookout. Loki could appear anywhere at any time.

As he clicked his apartment door shut this time something felt different. There was noise, but it was coming from the television. No greeting from any of the Wendys. That was strange he thought, normally he was greeted by a mass of whiskers in his face and lots of excited chirping. Where were the Wendys?

He went into the kitchen to put away his shopping then casually looked into the living room. All the Wendys were sat on his armchair watching a DVD. The lights were turned out and the curtains were pulled closed. The Wendys were deeply engrossed in the film and didn't notice Tom enter the room. He stood silently in the doorway watching them. The Huggles, Sparkz and Horace were huddled together on the chair seat. Beside the chair was a large bowl filled with popcorn. The Lip Lurkers sat in the bowl, surrounded by the popcorn. They occasionally would eat some or alternatively throw pieces at the Huggles. As usual for them, giggling while they did so. Tom squinted his eyes in the gloom, he could only make out two Lurkers in the bowl. He suddenly felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned round and was greeted by the third Lip Lurker. He looked at it and thought he might try speaking to it. Out of all the Wendys the Lurkers had been the most distant with him. He would like to get to know them better. They were unpredictable but he still wanted to make friends with them. He thought he recognised which Lurker was hovering next to him. He swallowed and hoped he had the correct name.

"Ah... hello Shade." He stuttered, trying to sound confident.

The Lip Lurker looked up at him startled. The man had got his name right. They thought he had not taken much notice of them, but then, he shrugged, they had not taken much notice of him, thought Shade. Now he was trying to start a conversation. Shade was keen to get back to the movie. He wanted to make sure he did not miss an important plot development. Now this man was blocking his way back to the movie. He thought that he should at least politely ask him to move by tapping his shoulder. Now he would be caught up in conversation.

He looked up at Tom and nodded a greeting back.

"So...ummm... You like watching movies?" Tom tried to keep the conversation going.

Shade nodded. He had fluttered up to Tom's should and landed on it. Tom turned his head slowly to look at Shade. He was not sure how he should behave next. Shade extended his long whiskers and gently stroked Tom's cheek. He had not been this close to a person before and was curious. Tom did not seem to be a threat. He moved his long thin whiskers across Tom's nose and down over his lips. He could feel Tom's warm breath. He looked at Tom fascinated. He gave one quiet chirp then fluttered off Tom's shoulder and landed in the popcorn bowl next to the other two Lurkers. They then started diving into it like a children's play ball pit. Tom smiled. He would leave then watching their movie. It thought it looked like the movie Heat. That was his favourite movie. The Wendys were quiet and they were happy. It was fairly late in the evening now. He might have an early night and go to bed.

He felt a chill as he walked into his bedroom. The window had been left open and the chill of the evening air had started to creep in. He pulled the window shut and shuddered. The chill ran down his spine. He brushed off the chill as nothing and headed to the bathroom. Once he had showered he had one final check on the Wendys, they were still engrossed in their movie, he headed off to the bedroom to sleep.

He was tired so it did not take long for him to fall into a deep sleep. He started to dream...

He was standing on a hill, the long, green, grass was knee high and waved gently in a warm breeze. He could feel the sun against his cheek. His eyes were closed and he was content and happy. Wendy was fluttering beside his head. She was chattering away to him. She then giggled and somersaulted through the air in front of him. He inhaled a deep breath of honey scented air, and held it for a few seconds before breathing it out.

He opened his eyes and looked out across the plains below. He could see the golden towers of Hiddlesville in the distance. There was a golden haze in the sky. Flocks of Wendys flew overhead. Their chattering, excited and happy.

Tom sat down in the grass. He sighed. He could stay here. Yes, he had decided this place was beautiful. He felt at home here with Wendy next to him. She fluttered down on to his shoulder and curled up close to his neck. He could hear her gently breathing in his ear.

It was good to have her close. Tom felt safe, Wendy always made things feel better and safer. He had her with him now.

He felt a sudden chill down his spine. The clouds grew grey and dark. The wind picked up and blew hard against Tom's back. He stood up, turning around to look behind him. Thick, inky black clouds billowed towards him and Wendy. He took a step backwards, wanting to back away from the approaching storm. He didn't feel very comfortable anymore. He turned to speak to Wendy...she was no longer on his shoulder. He started to panic.

"Wendy?"

"Wendy, sweetheart, where are you?"

"Wendy?"

He searched frantically through the long grass...nothing. He stood up straight and bellowed into the approaching storm.

"WENDY!"

"She cannot hear you."

Tom twirled around his face full of anger, he knew that voice.

"What have you done to her?" He said, advancing towards Loki his fingers curling into a ball. He was angry and Loki would be the one he would release his anger on to.

Loki looked shocked and eased backwards hands raised in submission.

"It was not I Midgardian who stole your friend. I speak to you now for we need your help... I need your help."

Now it was Tom's turn to be stunned. He thought he had misheard what Loki had said. He could hardly hear anything above the roar of the wind now. He could only just keep his balance. He wobbled, trying to stay upright, the wind was getting stronger. The clouds had covered the whole sky, lightning flashed and crackled and thunder rumbled.

"What do you mean? You are behind this I know it!" Tom shouted above the wind.

"It was not I! They have gone Thomas. One by one they have gone! Only I remain. This storm is not of my making. There is no one else. Only you can help."

"He wanted revenge. Even I cannot fight him alone."

"But you are him!" Shouted back Thomas.

"I am Loki. But I am Loki of Hiddlesgard. Thomas there is not much time. They will fade Thomas. They were not meant for your world. He has sent them there. If they fade, so does Hiddlesgard and I will no longer exist. This cannot be allowed to be."

The roar of the wind was deafening. Tom could not hear Loki clearly.

A huge gust of wind knocked Tom clean off his feet and he tumbled down the side of the hill, the wind knocked out of him. He came to rest at the bottom, his eyes looking directly at a pair of black leather boots. He lifted his gaze slowly upwards. A pair of piercing green eyes blazed down at him. Then he heard a humming sound and and a familiar blue glow grew bigger and more bright. There was nowhere for Tom to run, he covered his head as Loki fired his staff directly at him. There was a blinding blue white flash...

Tom sat bolt upright in his bed. Beads of sweat on his forehead. He panted, trying to catch his breath. His room was dark. The door had been closed. He froze... Staring right back at him were a pair of blazing green eyes...