Wendy's Tale

Breakfast

Loki looked at Tom, a slight look of panic in his eyes as the Wendy's slowly advanced towards him, low, angry growls filling the room. Tom wondered how long he could leave it before saying something. He was so tempted to wait a little while longer. To see Loki squirm a bit, it did seem rather enjoyable, however he needed Loki on his side to help him find Wendy. He had seen her. Although Tom still needed convincing that this was not the real Loki and it was only the Hiddlesgard version of Loki.

"Ok guys. Ok stop now, back away from Loki" he directed at the Wendy's.

They stopped and all looked back at Tom... Disappointed.

"Yes it is Loki" he continued, "but it is not" he looked hard at Loki, "it is not the real Loki just the one from Hiddlesgard."

He could see that Loki looked slightly hurt that he was considered 'just the one from Hiddlesgard' as if he wasn't important at all.

The Wendy's started grumbling and started to back away from Loki. They fluttered over and hovered in front of Tom protectively. The only ones who were slow to follow we're the Lip Lurkers. They liked Loki, he seem to them to be open to mischief, just like them. Maybe they could watch him for a bit and see if they could join in if he did get up to anything.

Loki straightened up and walked out of the shadows towards Tom. His clothing started to shimmy and change shape. It started to change and look different. Loki was changing his appearance into some similar to what Tom was wearing...pyjamas. Tom tried to stifle a giggle. At least Loki was trying to blend in he thought. He would have a quiet word later.

"So..." He paused trying not to smile at Loki.

"Are you hungry? Would you like some breakfast?"

Tom had planned on going running again, but with Loki now here he wanted to keep an eye on him.

Loki looked at Tom. He had not experienced much civility and politeness for a very long time. It felt strange, yet vaguely pleasant. He thought about it then nodded. He needed to eat.

"I wish to eat, yes." He replied.

The Wendy's started growling again.

Tom turned and looked at them.

"I appreciate your concern, but we now have a houseguest and until he behaves otherwise..." Loki raised an eyebrow. Tom continued. "Until he behaves otherwise we will treat him in a respectful manner. Do I make myself clear, because this is how it's going to play...OK." Tom gave the Wendy's a 'Tom Has spoken stare' and they all fluttered down on to the bed and stayed very quiet, watching and listening to Tom intently, even the Lip Lurkers stopped playing under the duvet cover and listened to Tom.

"You train your pets well." Loki said smirking. Tom turned back and gave Loki the 'Tom has spoken stare.' Loki stopped smirking and stood silently watching Tom's every move.

"Right." Said Tom. "If everyone understands the situation we will go and have some breakfast."

The Huggles fluttered up off the bed and over to Tom. They were expert breakfast makers and were keen to help out.

"You guys want to prepare breakfast?" Asked Tom. The Wendy's bounced and chattered excitedly at the mention of being allowed to make breakfast again.

"Ok, but remember that we eat the inside of the egg, cooked, not the shell. Last time my eggs on toast were a little...'crunchy' and there was no actual egg on my toast."

The Huggles mumbled apologetically and then flew off towards the kitchen, Sparkz following behind them. He could not resist blowing a raspberry at Loki as he flew past. He giggled as he caught up with the other Huggles. The sound of clattering saucepans and Wendys chattering could soon be heard.

Tom turned and looked at Loki.

"I need to ask you questions."

"Then proceed" replied Loki with a wave of his hand. He walked over to the bed and sat down on the edge. He looked at Tom. Tom sat down on the other side of the bed to Loki. He still didn't trust him.

"You said the Magnussville and Freddietown have disappeared..." Tom paused and swallowed.

"Does that mean that... Magnus and Freddie are...?"

"Dead?..." Loki said bluntly.

Tom flinched, he didn't want to hear this, especially when the words came from Loki.

"No not dead, at least I believe they are still alive but their time is limited." replied Loki.

"They are here in Midgard, or whatever you call this place.They were taken by him, thrown through the void to here. They are alone, separated and lost. The longer they a here..."

Loki paused and looked to the floor, he caught himself and quickly return to the conversation.

"The others tried to fight but he was too strong, so Hiddlesgard suffers. He is using that weakness to his advantage. Some have gone into hiding but he is finding them and sending them here. Without their prescence their town fades, eventually ceasing to exist. All disappear, the buildings, the people... Everything..." He looked directly at Tom. "The Wendy's too"

Tom looked up alarmed.

"The Wendys?... But can't they stop Loki, like they did before?"

Loki continued.

"He was very thorough this time. He had a plan. We knew he may have come back, but we thought his focus would be on you. He was angry with you. He made sure to deal with the Wendys first."

Tom listened to Loki shocked, his friends and the Wendys in Hiddlesgard were being threatened by the real Loki and the whole of Hiddlesgard could cease to exist, and now the Hiddlesgard Loki was suggesting that Tom was under threat from the real Loki. He wasn't safe, even here!. He swallowed hard and tried to remain composed.

Loki looked at Tom. His gaze deep and penetrating.

"Have you noticed anything...different?"

"Different?... Me?..." Tom thought hard. "No, not that I can think of." He chuckled. "I did forget to restock the food cupboards the other day but that was just because the Wendys were eating and drinking everything..." He paused the smile gone from his lips. He didn't like the way Loki was looking at him.

"You are starting to forget..." He said flatly.

"Don't be silly!" Laughed Tom.

"I have a very good memory. I never forget anything."

"Really?" Said Loki. He had Tom's diary on his hand. He pointed to an entry. It was dated yesterday.

Tom's face fell, he had forgotten a meeting. He never did that.

Loki continued.

"You are affected by this too. Hiddlesgard is part of you. It comes from you. If it ceases to be, part of you will be gone too. I say part... As yet I do not know exactly how it will affect you fully. You may lose yourself altogether."

Tom sat on the bed with his mouth open. He didn't know what to say. He couldn't think straight right now. The enormity of what Loki was telling him... He swallowed and blinked. He looked back at Loki.

"So what happens next? Can we stop this happening?...Reverse it?"

"We need to find Magnus and Freddie. We need to find them soon. If he knows I have met you he will try to stop us. Your Wendy... She may be able to help us too. We need to find her."

Just then something loud and expensive sounding crashed to the floor in the kitchen. There followed loud chatterings and what seemed to be an argument breaking out amongst the Wendys. It was enough to wake Tom from his stunned state.

"I... I have to go and see what they have done. Stay here. I will be back."

Tom then dashed out to the kitchen, leaving Loki in the room. He looked around the room. It was plain and not very grand. He pulled a face. It served a purpose he supposed. He preferred something a little grander looking, some a bit more regal. Loki look down onto the bed, something was tickling his hand. The duvet cover was moving around his hand. He got up and lifted the cover. The lip Lurkers slowly emerged and fluttered up to Loki's face.

"So my little friends what have you been up to?" Loki smirked. "Listening to conversations, hidden from sight, not very good behaviour is it? I am impressed" Loki smirked.

The Lurkers chuckled and fluttered closer to Loki. Yes they liked this new houseguest. Loki held out a hand, the Lurkers fluttered down on to it. Loki smiled.

"Perhaps you maybe of use to me. Now go to the others, we will talk later."

The Lurkers chuckled and fluttered away to the kitchen. Loki wanted to see more of where Tom lived so followed the Lurkers out of the bedroom.

The dwelling seemed plain, certainly not up to Loki's Hiddlesgardian standards, but it seemed comfortable enough.

Midgard intrigued Loki. He had always been in Hiddlesgard, he had only ever known life in Hiddlesgard. His mischief making was well known there. Midgard was new. He could pick up on a bustling city vibe, a tingle of opportunities and things he could achieve here. He had a quiet smile to himself.

He had found a way to get to Midgard... He... Well he had found a way to get here. Now he needed Tom's help. Without Tom's help Hiddlesgard would disappear and as he was very much part of Hiddlesgard himself... Loki did not want to dwell on that thought.

He padded barefoot in his pyjamas along the wooden floor, slowly following the Lip Lurkers. He could grow to like these Wendys. He could get to like them. They were not like the other Wendys. They were up for mischief making just like Loki. The other Wendys were... Too bouncy...too happy. Loki did not do happy.

As he got closer to the kitchen he could hear the Wendys chattering and the clattering of saucepans. He then heard Tom. Speaking calmly and firmly about placing the cups the right way up and no humans do not eat tea towels and just because the microwave goes 'ding' does not mean that the Wendys can play with the buttons.

The Lip Lurkers cackled at Loki then fluttered ahead into the kitchen. They headed straight for their favourite cupboard and disappeared inside. Loki stood in the kitchen doorway and observed the mayhem going on in front of him.

Tom was following behind the Huggles as they prepared breakfast. He was hurriedly trying to tidy up behind them. The Huggles were keen but quite messy breakfast preparers.

Tom turned and saw Loki standing in the doorway. He caught Loki's look of wide-eyed bemusement.

"Ah..." Said Tom a bit flustered. "Breakfast is not normally as crazy as this." He ducked as a damp tea towel whizzed past his ear and 'splatted' against the far wall of the kitchen.

"I don't know what has got into them this morning." He smiled apologetically.

"Nooooo!" Tom lunged at a pan of baked beans which one of the Huggles was going to pour into Loki's cup of coffee.

"Sparkz I told you, you can't do that! Give me the beans!"

"What has got into you guys this morning?"

Two of the Huggles started chasing each other with wooden spoons. They uttered challenges to each other before launching into battle. Tom ducked and weaved out of the way while trying not to spill the pan of beans. Sparkz annoyed that his 'special' drink for Loki had been thwarted went over to the microwave. He started pressing the buttons... A lot.

'Ding'...'Ding'... 'Ding'...

"Sparkz, don't do that." Tom spoke firmly

"Ding"... "Ding"... "Ding"...

Tom put down the beans and walked over to Sparkz.

"Sparkz, I said no!" He spoke firmly and gave Sparkz the 'Tom has spoken stare'. Sparkz stopped pressing the buttons, he gave Tom a defiant glare back and fluttered out of the kitchen into the living Room. He turned on the television.

"0k everyone into the living room. I shall finish breakfast." He addressed the remaining Huggles.

The Huggles stopped fighting with their spoons and all of them but the Lip Lurkers fluttered off into the living room, grumbling as they passed Loki in the kitchen doorway.

Tom quickly made the kitchen presentable and beckoned Loki inside.

"Please...sit" he waved to a chair. Loki sat down.

"You have breakfast like this every morning?" said Loki raising an eyebrow.

"No" said Tom. "Today was different. You are what made it different."

He stared hard at Loki.

"You may not have been directly involved in the events in Hiddlesgard when I was there but to the Wendys you ARE him . It will take a lot for you to gain their trust. They should not have behaved the way they did but do you blame them?"

"I can see how they may have formed an opinion of me. We have similarities but we also have our differences." replied Loki.

"I merely came here seeking your help."

"Then if you need help, we need the Wendys. I need Wendy. You need to help me find her. You could also try getting along with the others." suggested Tom.

Loki nodded.

"Now it seems we have a very busy day ahead of us...so let's get started..."