Status: :) R&R and I love you.

Abused

Twenty-nine

ZAK’S POV

”Nick, she’s there! I found her!” Zak shouts and looks at Nick. They are both staring at Nadine in shock. They’d never have thought that they’d find her in the water. ”Thank God”, Nick mutters. ”What is she doing?” he asks Nick, who is staring at Nadine, his eyes blown wide.

She is waist deep in the water, even deeper. It must be freezing. Besides, she doesn’t seem to be herself right now. Zak fears that she may be partially possessed. She keeps staring blankly ahead of her. ”Nadine!” Zak calls, hoping to pull a reaction from the girl, but nothing happens. She doesn’t even bother to turn her head to him. Is she suicidal? What is this? Zak swallows concernedly.

He is slightly relieved. They were supposed to meet up hours ago, and soon it’ll be morning. He had called Nick and Aaron about 30 minutes later, when Nadine hadn’t shown up. They decided to split up, but he and Nick met up a minute ago. Then they found her. For a moment Zak thought that maybe she’d just disappeared. His biggest fear was that she’d drowned.

”Nad!” He hears Nick call out, but the girl doesn’t react. In fact, she is taking steps deeper into the cold, dark water. After the third time he calls out for her, she blinks and for a moment and seems to realise where she is. Then she falls backwards and her head goes under the water.

”Nadine”, Zak whispers in fear and rushes towards her. He runs all the way, until then dives into the freezing water without a moment of hesitation. One thought keeps repeating itself inside his head. I have to find her. I have to find Nadine and save her. I can’t let her drown. Adrenaline pumps trough his entire body, and he swims to the place he saw her moments ago.

He dives deeper, reaching out his hands. He accidentally gets some water into his nose, and he coughs. Suddenly he finds a hand, and he lifts her out of the water. He looks at her face. Yes, it is definitely Nadine. She looks almost lifeless. Zak knows she isn’t in danger anymore, but he is still very concerned. Why would she do such a thing, all of the sudden? She wouldn’t, it’s not like her. Was he too harsh on her? He blames himself for sending the girl alone in the darkness. He shivers thinking about the demons that could’ve put their dirty hands on her. If he finds any scratches on her, he’ll cover the entire island with Bibles and Holy Water.

”Nick! Get Aaron here. And a boat! We need to get out of here. She’ll get a cold or something”, Zak shouts, carrying Nadine away from the water. Nick rushes to him, calling Aaron in his walkie talkie.

”We found her”.
”Yeah. Get here. Yeah, we’re still there.”
”No. She was in the water. Call him. Good. See you in a bit bro.”

Nick’s words almost go unregistered as Zak keeps staring at her pale face. He lets himself think about it now. If he had turned to another direction, he would’ve come too late. She would’ve drowned. She’d be dead right now. Deep in the water, lying somewhere in the seabed. He knows that he’d never have stopped looking for her. He’d always hoped that one day they’d find his Nadine, alive and happy.

Nick stops in front of Zak, his eyes still blow wide with amazement and concern. ”Bro”, Nick says, touching shivering Zak’s arm gently. ”Are you alright?” Zak just nods and swallows. ”What the hell just happened?” Zak asks quietly, his voice almost failing him. He coughs. He’s never felt so small. Maybe the day he saved Nadine from the crazy psychos who tried to stab her. But, somehow he’d always known that he’d get her back. Now he hadn’t. He had really freaked out after that call he received from her. She had called him, screamed his name out in panic, but hadn’t replied to him. He had asked her several times where’d she gone.

”I don’t know bro, I don’t know.” Nick sighs. ”Aren’t you cold?” he then asks. Zak just shakes his head a no. ”I hope she’s fine.” Zak rushes a few steps away from the water, as if to ensure that when she wakes up, he’ll have enough time to catch her if she decides to run back into the sea. Zak knows Nadine isn’t stupid. Why had this happened?

Zak puts her on the ground gently. Nick takes off his jacket and puts it on her. Her lips are slightly bluish, but she has started to cough the water out of her lungs. ”Nadine”, Zak whispers, taking her hand in his. ”Nad, can you hear me?” his voice is silent, very concerned. Nick feels helpless, because all he can do is look and wait for Aaron to get back to them.

Nadine mumbles something. Zak can’t make out what that is. Meaningless words. She cries and sobs. And then her eyes finally crack open. Zak kneels next to her and meets her gaze. ”Oh gosh, sweetie! You gave me a fucking heart attack!” Zak nearly shouts at her.

She doesn’t react to it. She just keeps staring blankly ahead of her. Then, recognition flashes in her eyes and she screams. ”Zak! No. Don’t! No! I still need you. Please. Please! Let him be. Have me. Take me.” The same mumbled mixture of apologies and begging goes on and on. Zak pulls her, lifts her onto his arms and hugs her tightly. ”Sweetie, you’re safe with me. I’m right here. I’m sorry for making you go trough it.” She keeps crying and sobbing.

He can’t imagine what she’s seen. He doesn’t even quite understand what has happened. He assumes she’s been somewhat possessed, and for experience he knows how tough possessions can be. Nadine will carry such an experience with her for the rest of her life.

”Zak”, she whispers, recognising him. ”You’re here.” She almost sounds surprised. Joy makes Zak’s heart warm. He didn’t lose her. He got her back. He runs his fingers trough her cold, wet and messy hair, trying desperately to comfort her. Never has he seen her this upset. Not even the day her fater beat the shit out of her. Oh yes, she had been upset. He had been really angry, too. But she hadn’t really cried. Maybe a few tears. Not the day she was stabbed, she didn’t really cry. During the lockdowns she hasn’t really shown any fear. She’s a badass girl, stubborn. But now, she is visibly shaken and afraid. ”Yes, sweetie. Take a deep breath. You’re safe”, he whispers, bringing his lips to hers.

Zak waits for her to stop coughing before kissing her lips gently. Her skin is so cold and pale. He’s sure she’s caught something horrible. Or maybe he’s just over-reacting to it. But there’s nothing he can do about it now, than hold her close and hope that the heat of his body will safe her from pneumonia and such. She kisses him back and sighs. ”Zak.” He can’t describe the feeling her words cause in his heart.

Suddenly she punches him. No, more like pushes him violently away from herself. Zak tries to catch a hold of her, afraid that she’ll run into the water again. ”Let go!” she screams. Zak looks shocked. What has he now done to her? Why is she so upset?

He runs after her. Nadine stops and bends over. He makes a disgusted face as she throws up everything that’s inside her. She coughs and her hair gets covered in puke. Zak steps right next to her, places his hand gently on her shoulder and pulls her close to himself. With his other hand he grabs her hair and holds it for her. ”Lean on me”, he whispers. Nad turns to look at him, her eyes questioning. He just nods. Before she can even say anything, she needs to throw up again. ”Let me help you, sweetie”, he whispers. Nad just shakes her head and pushes him away. ”No. Don’t you think I’ll let you get covered in my puke”, she retorts and takes a step away from him. Zak chuckles, relieved. She’s beginning to sound like herself again.

Zak just follows her and places his hands on her shoulder. ”Nad, ’ts fine”, he says silently and breathes in her scent. Why is she throwing up this much? Maybe she is sick. He wants to ensure nothing is wrong with her. They’ll need to visit the hospital or he can’t have a piece of mind.

Nadine’s body still trembles, and she tries to control her breathing. Zak picks her up and carries her back to Nick. He doesn’t care that he’s cold and wet and freezing. It’s more important that Nadine is safe and alive.

Zak places her on her feet, not going far from her, afraid that she’d throw up again. She doesn’t look too good. She keeps a hand on her stomach, staring blankly in front of her. Zak sighs, looking at her. She looks so fragile, hurt. Her confidence has always made her seem bigger, more aggressive than she actually is. Now she wouldn’t threaten a fly.

Suddenly she loses her balance, but Zak manages to grab a hold of her before she falls onto the ground. ”Nad”, he whispers, concerned. ”Would you like to sit down?” he asks. Nad just shakes her head a no stubbornly. ”I’m fine.” He bites his lip. ”Please. Sit down. You’re not fine.” She sticks her tongue out at him and allows him to help her sit.

Nick plays with his walkie talkie, hoping that Aaron and the others will be back soon. He can’t stand seeing Zak so cold and a hurt expression on his face. They’re like brothers. What hurts Zak, hurts him just as much. And right now, Nadine is hurting Zak by looking so miserable.

Zak doesn’t really expect it, but suddenly Nadine bursts out crying hysterically, her pupils wide and black. She keeps staring at the skyline, horror marrying her features. He quickly wraps his arms around her and brings her close to his chest. He shushes her gently. ”Nad. It’s fine. Just let it out.” She keeps sobbing, a blur of words coming out of her mouth.

”...I can’t see it anymore.. It’s gone”
”...and you have to.. just make it stop..”

Just as Zak is about to ask her what is wrong, Nadine closes her eyes, presses her hands on her temples and lets out a heartbreaking cry. ”Zak!” she screams. He can see her face flush of fear, and that she’s obviously having a headache. ”Make it stop. Make them stop!” she screams, in great pain.

”Nick”, Zak says, looking panicked. He doesn’t know what else he can do. He holds her close to his chest, whispering to her that she’s fine. That she doesn’t have to be afraid any longer. That Aaron will be back any moment and they’ll get out of there. ”Make him stop!” she keeps screaming, trying to kick Zak desperately, as if fighting some unseen force. ”Nad. Nad! Relax, sweetie. I’ve got’cha. What? Make what stop?” Nadine's eyes look at him blankly. It’s like looking at a blind person, because she isn’t really looking at him. She is looking straight trough him. ”Him. Make him stop”, she whispers coldly. ”Tell him to stop.”

Zak just kisses the top of her head gently and promises her that whatever is now bothering her, will stop soon. He prays that Aaron will come soon because he feels so helpless. He needs to find someone who can help her. Someone who can give her something, dry clothes at least.

A deep, demonic growl makes it to his ears. To his horror, it comes from Nadine’s chest. It’s followed by a pained scream. ”Make it stop, make it stop, make it stop!” she begs desperately. He squeezes her hand in his, hoping that the attack will end soon. ”Whatever you are, now causing her pain, let her go! Hurt me!” he shouts. ”Hurt me..”

Nick is looking at them both, wondering what he could do about it. She is obviously somewhat possessed, partially at least. He has some Holy Water with him, but it’s elsewhere right now. He can’t really go get it before Aaron and the others are back.

Nadine keeps begging and Zak is sure that he can feel his hear shatter. Against a man he could fight. He could protect Nadine from a person. Her fater isn’t a threat. He could actually punch that dickhead in the face. But a demon is a whole different thing. Zak can’t go into her head and pull out the evil. He can only watch and hope that it’ll leave soon.

Another growl turns into a loud scream. Drool is dripping from her mouth in small paths. ”God, please. I’m asking you to help her”, he whispers, kissing her hand. ”Help her. Save her.” He doesn’t expect that’ll make the entity suffer. He just thought that maybe this once he could have some help, or at least scare the demon a little.

Nadine sighs, grabs his hand almost painfully and sobs some more. Zak has never seen her like this, safe for the one time she was possessed before, but then, it only lasted a couple of minutes and it was gone as quickly as it had arrived. This time Zak has a feeling that this demon will cause them more problems in the future.

”They are there! They are coming”, Nick whispers, relieved, when he sees three familiar figures approaching them quickly. ”Bro! What’s happened?” Aaron shouts. Zak just shakes his head, pulling Nadine closer to his chest, and Nick runs towards them to explain, as well as he can.

Soon the boat arrives. Nick and Aaron pack some of their equipment, but they decide to leave a few cameras rolling. Despite the possession they’ll still need to produce an episode of Ghost Adventures for their fans and the Travel Channel. Besides, they’ve always wanted to come here and check out Poveglia. Zak sighs, carrying Nadine to the boat in his arms. He is happy that they have another day time to investigate, but he thinks that perhaps it would be better to postpone the lockdown with a day or two. They have time. And, Nad isn’t coming with them next time, he’s sure of it. He doesn’t want to put her in any danger, ever again.

The man who brought them to Poveglia earlier looks slightly scared, mostly just curious. He wasn’t supposed to pick the crew up until at 6:30 am. Right now it’s only past four in the morning. He knows something’s happened, but because he has heard the stories of Poveglia, he doesn’t bother to ask more. He can clearly see that the girl on Zak’s arms has gone trough something awful. A shiver goes trough him as her starts the engine.

”Nad”, Zak whispers to the nearly sleeping girl. Nad manages to smile at him, giving him some courage to believe that after all everything is going to be just fine. ”Do you want to talk about it?” Zak asks, almost expecting her to burst out crying again.

Instead Nadine just smiles. ”Tomorrow. When everything is better.” Zak thought about it in his head. Tomorrow. Everything will be great again.