Status: :) R&R and I love you.

Abused

Thirty-one

The noise of the traffic gets mixed with the sound of people walking on the street. It’s an early evening, people are getting home from work, meeting some friends at the local bars and restaurants. No wonder, it’s already Friday. Even though I’d consider the last couple days the longest days of my entire life, it’s finally Friday. I can’t really say that I’ve been looking forward to this or anything. It’s more that I just want to get it over with.

The sun is setting, and the sky is full of beautiful shades of red and orange. Normally I’d say it looks amazing, but right now it just reminds me of the lump of fear inside my chest. I have a very bad feeling about everything but I can’t really tell Zak about it. He would freak out and forbid me from joining the lockdown. I’m not literally going to be on the lockdown again, simply because Zak wouldn’t let me. And partially because I don’t want the events of our last investigation to repeat themselves. But Zak seems to think that if he lets me out of his eyes this time I’m honestly going to lose my head or something.

I’m going to be nice and comfy with Bil and Jay in the nerve centre. Bad news is that it’s also on Poveglia, so I’ll need to go back there anyway. Something inside my head thinks that the entity could easily walk trough the walls and stop by for a nice visit, but I surely hope it doesn’t- I block the disgusting thought away and try to focus on the bright side.

But then again, I don’t really know what the bright side of this is. That I get to be with the crew? Maybe. Or the excitement of the lockdown? As long as it doesn’t get too exciting. I must admit, though, I’m a bit nervous for Zak. I’m afraid that the same dark entity wants to revenge him or something. I know it sounds stupid, but I can’t help being an over-protective girlfriend.

It’s three to eight in the evening. We are going to start the lockdown at ten, as usual, and there should be a car picking us up from the hotel at ten past eight, which is probably why I can feel my hands sweat and my body tremble a bit. I have to pretend that everything’s fine simply because I mustn’t upset Zak anymore. I can see he’s concerned by only looking at him.

He’s packing some stuff, cameras and such, on the other side of the room. His face looks utterly worried. His eyes are not calm and blue like water, they are darker than usually. I know he’s thinking what I’m thinking but neither of us can say it aloud. I sigh. His mouth is squeezed tightly shut and every once in a while I can hear him inhale sadly and then sigh. And the worst thing is that I entirely blame myself for it. No matter how hard he tries to claim it’s not because of me, I know it is. He’s worried. If I had stayed at home he could now investigate without having to worry about me all the time. I mentally slap myself, because I don’t need to ruin this. I’m going to do my best so that they can have a great lockdown, enjoy themselves and enjoy ghost hunting. I’ve already ruined too many lockdowns. Maybe this is going to be the one I’m not gonna ruin.

A silent whine escapes my lips, when a mental image of another kind of hand (instead of my invisible imagination hand) slapping me springs to my mind. I squeeze my eyes shut in shock, trying to make it go away. I take a deep breath and when I allow my eyes to flicker open, there’s a face only a few inches away from mine. I gasp in fear and then chuckle. Zak’s face.

”You scared me.” He just smiles gently. ”Are you okay?” he asks, slightly concerned. He still looks like he’s deep in thought. ”Yeah. I’m great”, I reply shortly, meeting his eyes, hoping to catch the happy shade of blue instead of the dark, concerned shade. ”I thought you said something.. Just wanted to check”, he then mutters and cups my face gently with his hand. I lean on his palm and smile. ”Nah. I just mentally slapped myself”, I reply and he chuckles at it. ”Sometimes you’re confusing, Nad”, he then whispers, looking slightly more amused and then leans in to kiss me quickly. I kiss him back and smile against his lips. ”Seriously. You should stop worrying. I’ll live. I’m a big girl. I know how to tie my shoes in case I’ll need to run from the ghosts”, I mumble and he laughs. He then sighs silently and shakes his head. ”I know that. But I’m just worried.. Worried that the same thing will return and do something.” I reach closer and brush his lip with my thumb. His eyes flicker open and closed. ”I know you’re not letting it.”

I giggle. ”And I never surrender without a fight.” As long as I’m fighting against something I’m able to see. Like, a human would be great, thanks. I hate trying to escape from spirits. It’s unfair that they can see me but I can’t see them. ”I know. You’re so stubborn”, he retorts playfully, his eyes now shining more happily than before. It makes me feel better about the whole thing. ”Am not!” I shout back, grinning. ”Are too.” I narrow my eyes at him. ”Am not.” He chuckles. ”You are, Nad.” I stick my tongue out at him. ”Am not. You’re more stubborn than me.” I’m just arguing because it’s fun. ”You’re the most stubborn person I’ve ever met.” He looks at me. That smug bastard thinks he’s won this. Nope. ”Then you haven’t met too many people”, I whisper, making a smug face at him. ”And buuuuuurn”, I say, laughing at the face he makes. ”Keep doing that and I’m gonna show you what really burns!” he threatens, snickering. I gesture with my hand. ”C’mon then, big boy!”

He gets up and jumps onto the bed I’m laying on. I can barely breathe because I’m laughing so hard at him. He wraps his hands around me, and before I get to see his burning revenge, someone knocks on the door. ”Why am I not surprised?” Zak mutters, narrowing his eyes at the door. ”Go get the door, will you? I have to get the cameras ready”, he says and hesitantly gets up. ”This is shitty”, I whisper and make a pouting face at him. ”I know”, he replies and returns my frown. He then holds out his hand and we get up.

I rush to get the door. I swing the door open, almost hitting Aaron in the head with it. ”Whoa, Nad!” he says, laughing and surprised. He manages to step aside before getting hit by the door. I just laugh. ”Geez, my heart came trough my chest!” he chuckles, placing a hand on his chest. ”But honestly, Nad.. Are you guys ready? The car’s waiting for us so you’d better drag your asses downstairs”, he tells happily. How can he always be so cheery? I nod silently. ”Yeah”, I whisper, suddenly feeling very uncertain about everything. What if Zak’s right? What if I’m doing a terrible mistake and ruining everything for everyone by going back there? But he didn’t want me to stay alone at the hotel. He thought that someone else would’ve needed to stay with me and that would have meant ruining the lockdown for one of the crew members. And I’m not gonna do that. I just shake my head, trying to cheat my mind and make it forget the unpleasant thought. Nothing bad is going to happen.

”Zak’s in there, packing some cameras.” Aaron just nods and peeks over my shoulder with a grin. I assume Zak waves at him, because Aaron makes a face at Zak.

”I saw something today, something I was gonna get you but then didn’t”, Aaron says excitedly. I narrow my eyes at him. ”Oh?” is all I manage to get out. ”I saw this amazing GPS dog collar thingy and Nick and I were so going to buy you one, but then we didn’t because they were pretty expensive and we couldn’t pick the best colour and-..”, he starts to explain, smiling a little smugly. ”Okay. Wait. You wha-?” I make a weird face at him and punch him in the shoulder. ”Ouch!” He makes a a face at me before poking me in the side. ”So that Zak can’t lose you during a the lockdown!” He then bursts out laughing so hard his face turns red. I can’t help laughing, too. ”Hell, bro! You’re gonna lose your head if you do it.” Aaron smirks. ”Yeah. Luckily Nick was smart and decided that we just need to buy a lock so that we can lock the nerve centre from the outside.” I roll my eyes at him. ”Very funny.” Aaron snickers. ”I’m serious.”

”What’s funny?” I suddenly hear Zak’s voice right under my left ear, jump, and almost fall forward. He manages to save me from hitting my head onto Aaron’s shoulder. Then I can hear him snicker. ”Fuck you, Zak”, I mumble and turn to glare at him. He just looks at me innocently under his dark lashes. ”Fuck you too”, he replies and laughs at my face.

”Are you ready to go bro?” Aaron asks. Zak just nods, throws the camera bag onto his back and grabs me by my hand. ”Yeah.” He seems to double check that he didn’t forget anything. ”I’ve got my camera, some digital recorders..” he then feels his pockets, ”my phone, the key card, Nad..” I poke him when I hear my own name. ”Dick. It’s not possible to leave me behind without noticing. Forget me and it’s gonna be the last thing you’ll ever forget”, I mutter at Zak and poke him again. He chuckles. ”She’s being grumpy, eh?” Aaron asks, amused. ”As usual”, Zak replies and Aaron laughs. ”Am not grumpy, you smug-looking bastard”, I reply. He laughs at that, too. ”I don’t even bother to argue about that”, Zak says amusedly.

Nick is already waiting outside by the car. As he sees us, he raises his hand to wave. He doesn’t look concerned or unusual in any way. He looks like the normal Nick and it makes me feel a bit more confident about the lockdown. Actually, what the hell is wrong with you, Nadine? Since when are you afraid of a stupid lockdown? You’re gonna kick the ghost’s ass if it tries anything. Yes. True. That’s what I’m going to do.

”Hey”, Nick says and smiles a little tiredly. He looks like he hasn’t really slept well last night, either. We were out quite late. Yes, we might have been in a bar for an hour or two or maybe a few more. And Zak and I might have stayed until the early hours and we might have done a something else too and it just might be that we haven’t really slept last night. I chuckle at the thought and gain an odd look from Aaron.

I just punch him playfully and he pretends to cry. ”You’re stupid”, he says, mimicking a small kid. He pushes me away from himself. I make a pouting face at him. ”You’re more stupid”, I reply and he sticks his tongue at me. ”You’re an idiot”, he states with his best little kid accent. ”I’m not playing with you anymore”, I reply roll my eyes at him. ”You’re being mean”, he whines and fakes a sob. ”Niiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiiick!” he then screams loudly. Nick just rolls his eyes at us, and I can just see that he’s thinking we’re not acting like adults. ”You called Nick for help?” Aaron just nods, still trying to look small and helpless, which isn’t really working out, because he looks like a sad Elmo. ”You’re a shithead, Nad, and you know it. You bully us small, innocent children”, he then says and huffs. ”Dick”, I mutter. ”What?” I hear Zak ask somewhere. I burst out crying. Okay, maybe I’ve called him a dick too often.

Nick is going to drive this time. It’s mainly because Zak doesn’t know what the word patience means and the traffic can be really bad in the evening. And I’m quite to happy that I can just lean my head on his chest, breathe in his scent and lie to myself that everything is going to be better than fine.