Status: :) R&R and I love you.

Abused

Five

I stare at the slightly dark computer screen. Night vision seems to be working just fine. Billy is checking the audio for the very last time, we just got the last two X-cams set and ready. The sun has finally set, and it's even darker down in the basement. The clock is around 8 pm, a bit over by now. It will be pitch black soon. Zak, Nick and Aaron are ready to start their lockdown.

I wonder if it feels bad to know that you are actually locked inside a building. If something happens, you can't get out just like that. But luckily I have no reason to worry, because I have four other guys here, and they are professionals. Besides, it's Zak, Nick and Aaron who will be in a hell of a trouble if there are evil spirits here. Not me. I still feel a rush of adrenaline pump trough my body.

Zak is still setting up his camera, Aaron and Nick are by the door, ready to go upstairs and start the lockdown. "Okay, guys, let's go!" Zak says and lifts his camera on his shoulder. Aaron nods. "See you in a bit.. if you are still alive.." Aaron says and snorts. I roll my eyes. "It's you who's gonna die if anyone", I answer calmly. Nick heads out of the door in the hallway where we heard whistling earlier in the day. Right before we ate our healthy food from burger king. Yesterday pizza, today hamburgers.. what next? Tacos probably.

"Let's rock!" Aaron says and waves at me and Billy before heading outside right after Nick. I wave back at him. "So, you know what to do.. Just keep an eye on the X-cams, Nad you're responsible for the cams, Billy is for the audio", Zak says. As if he hadn't explained this ten times during the day. "Yeah yeah, now go ahead..", Billy says and motions Zak to go with his hand. Soon Zak turns around and I can see how he disappears in the darkness. Then I hear the door of the basement being shut. Here we go.

It takes about ten or fifteen minutes before they are officially locked inside the building, and they start their investigation. We watch the x-cams with Billy, who is also listening to the audio in the meanwhile. I am watching the X-cams 2,3,5 and 6, meaning the living room, kitchen, bedroom and the balcony. I don't have to stare at them all the time. I just keep an eye on them. It's pretty boring, because nothing happens for most of the time. And because of night vision, there are no colours but this shade of green and white. And black.

Billy has a walkie talkie on the table, right next to a couple of digital recorders and a spirit box, in case they lose or brake theirs. "You hear us?" Zak's voice checks trough the walkie talkie. He sounds excited. "Yeah", I confirm. Billy is listening to an EVP session they are doing in the living room. "Got anything, Billy?" Billy takes the earbuds out of his ears. "Nah, nothing really." I can see Zak talking to the other guys in the living room. "Okay, thanks", he says and they move on.

For about an hour I just stare at the screen, and nothing happens at all. Billy doesn't hear anything unusual, they don't catch any EVPs and the spirit box stays quiet. I keep an eye on the clock on my phone. I feel a bit tired, even though it's only soon ten pm.

After another thirty minutes they come in the basement to have a small break after the first two hours of investigating.

"This place was claimed to be so active, but we aren't getting anything at all", Nick complains. Zak just nods and listens to his digital recorder again. "Absolutely nothing but silence", he says and sighs. "Cheer up guys, we've got upstairs and all!" Aaron says. He then yawns lazily and sits on a chair next to me. "Just wake me up before we go again", he says and closes his eyes. I poke him in the shoulder. He grins playfully and his eyes flicker open. "Just kidding. I'm not tired."

The scary feeling I felt earlier has completely disappeared. For ten minutes we just talk and joke, before Zak decides that it's time for them to return in the living room area. They are going to do another spirit box session and if nothing comes up, they are going to move forward. They leave the basement again, and I am left with Billy, watching the monitors again.

"Dude, I've got absolutely nothing. No chills, just nothing. This place is empty!" Aaron says and jogs at Zak. They didn't get anything from the spirit box session. I mean, nothing at all. Zak told me that they usually get something the first time they try in an active place. And this place is active, at least it was very active during the day!

They take another break after a bit less than two hours. It's already past the midnight, but they are not tired at all. It just boring for them.. Because they haven't captured anything.

Zak places his camera on the table and rubs his face with his hand. "Man.. This is so fucking stupid. We aren't getting anything at all." Aaron looks at Zak, then he looks at me and grins. "What is it?" I say as he then smirks. "Bro, I've got a super idea", he says. I blink a few times and then he says: "If they don't hate us, they won't harm us, right?" Zak looks at him and nods slowly. "Right." Aaron then looks at me again. No, no, no no no... "But if we used a bait instead.." Zak looks at me.

"Nad, you wanna do it?" This time I think before I say anything. Of course I don't! But how could I say it without making a coward of myself. "I'd rather not", I end up saying. "Coward", Aaron whispers and I smack him. "Nad, please.." Zak begs. I roll my eyes. "No." "A pretty please.. I'll be there for the whole time.." He tries with his cutest puppy eyes. I mentally face palm. "No." "Come on, Nad.. I'll make it up to you", he says. Then he looks at me with this 'I beg you'- face. And I can't say no. Oh, fuck this. I wonder what is going to happen. Nothing good, I know for sure.

**
It's DARK. It's so fucking dark that I can't see anything. And I mean it. It's pitch black. It feels like the whole world was black. I have a pretty heavy camera in my hands. I left the basement ten seconds ago, and I already miss it. Billy just closed the door behind us.

I try to peek at my camera screen. The nigh vision makes everything look like a mixture of green, black and white- No other colours. I can see Zak right in front of me, like he promised he'd be. And for his own safety, he might want to keep that promise. I won't be very happy if I find myself alone in the dark with a digital recorder. I can guarantee.

"Kay, guys, let's get movin'", he says. I can hear him speak, but what bothers me is that I can't see him. I shoot my camera towards him, as I nod. Even though he can't see it. I follow him with slow steps. I try hard not to trip and brake the camera. It doesn't look very inexpensive.

I find out that I have an obsession to shoot at the floor when I walk. It feels like I was expecting there to be trap or something. I follow right behind Zak, no more than a couple of feet away from him. I feel so helpless in the darkness. If someone attacked me, I wouldn't be able to defend myself. I couldn't see anything. I am ready to run at Zak if I feel anything touch me. Anything that isn't Aaron. He tried to scare me right at the door by grabbing my hand. But because of his loud laughter, it wasn't very hard to guess it was him. Not a ghost.

We walk up the stairs and arrive in the living room area. And it's still pitch black. I am very nervous. It's my first time EVER doing a ghost hunt. And even worse, with cameras. And not to mention that we are inside a house that is claimed to be very active.. and we are also locked inside of it. And people have told us during the interviews that yes, these hauntings are definitely evil. I feel my hands start to sweat. The room feels very uncomfortable. Just like in the hallway earlier today- I walk faster to stay closer to Zak.

My head feels heavy. "Dude, I've got the chills!" I hear Aaron say. He then suddenly gasps. I shoot at Aaron with my camera. I can see that he is now absolutely frozen, just standing very still and quiet. "It feels like someone's touching my arm right now.." I step a bit closer, but still check that I wont be far away from Zak. I can see that Aaron looks a bit scared, but mostly just excited. "Who's in here with us?" Zak shouts. But of course, no one answers.

The room starts to become very active. Not only does Nick get the chills too right after someone or something touched Aaron, but Zak feels something grab his shirt roughly. I have to admit, I couldn't even laugh at his absolutely horrified face, because I was just as scared. It was awful. The feeling of being absolutely helpless, defenceless.. Because the attacker can't be seen. You'll never know where you'll get attacked.. It's like there was danger behind every corner, just waiting for you to walk past it.. I shiver.

"I've got chills too..", I mumble. Zak reaches out for a digital recorder. "Nad, take this, and.." I stop him before he gets to finish. "Okay, but don't you dare to say that you'll leave me alone here with that thing in my hand.." He chuckles. "Wasn't the plan, don't worry.." I hit record and hold the recorder in my left hand. "Aaron, here's yours. Nick", Zak says.

He then starts doing an EVP session. My hand feels really sweaty and I am afraid that I'll drop the recorder somewhere on the floor. It's not a very inviting thing.. to look for a digital recorder in a haunted living room, when you are unable to see.

Despite all the activity, Zak doesn't capture any EVPs. "Let's move on.. Nick and Aaron, go in the kitchen. I will head upstairs with Nadine", he says. "Okay", I hear Nick say. He walks towards the kitchen with Aaron. "Nad, you okay?" I blink in confusion a few times. I didn't even notice that I had frozen like that. "Yeah, sure.." I mumble and step closer to him. He jogs at the staircase. I run and try to follow very close. It's not very nice to be alone in the dark.

"Watch your step", he says when he climbs up the stairs. They are creaky. It brings up some awful memories from my childhood. I just shake my head. No, not here Nadine. I am already afraid enough. I climb the stairs up two at a time, not wanting to stay there any longer than necessary.

"So, we're headin' in the bedroom of this girl, who has been claimed to fall down the stairs to her death", Zak explains. I shoot at him with my camera. He might want to use that for the show, so.. He opens the old door and steps inside. I am a bit shaken already, but I follow him. He walks in front of a giant bed and he stands there. "There are various claims of attacks in this room." He has his camera- voice and face. I roll my eyes. Thanks a lot, Zak, now I feel a lot more comfortable, because I know that I might get in trouble here.

"Wanna help me a bit, Nad?" I look at him. "What do you want me to do?" I shift nervously. "Get on the bed", he says and grins. I laugh. "No, I mean really.." He smirks "I'm serious. The spirit of this room doesn't like women. I wanna see if the spirit will get upset if she gets a woman in her bed", he explains. I get serious and hesitate. I take a step closer to the bed, but then stop suddenly. I look at Zak. "I'm right here", he says in the dark. His voice gives me the courage to step a bit closer. I force myself to get on the bed. I sit there nervously and stare at Zak. "W-what next?" I manage to say. Damn, even my voice sounds shaken. Calm the fuck down, Nadine. There's nothing here to be afraid of.

"Kay.. I'll start askin' some questions..", he says and I hear him step a bit closer to the other side of the room. I can't help the sound of discomfort escaping from my lips. I cover my mouth with my hand and hope that he couldn't hear it. But of course he could. "Hey.. I'm right here", he says softly. I nod and try to get a bit more comfortable on the bed.

"Are you here with us?" he asks loudly. I wait. My heart beats fast. What if something attacks me? Or him.. But nothing happens. I sigh from relief. "You have scratched women who visit this room.. Why don't you like women? What have they ever done to you?" Zak continues to provoke the spirit, but again, with no result. It's pitch black and quiet as in a grave. "Why do you hurt them?" Nothing. It's silent. The silence makes me even more nervous. "Show yourself to us! Use my energy. Attack me, hurt me!" he almost shouts. I squeeze my eyes shut and pray inside my head that nothing attacks him, that the spirit doesn't take this too seriously. Really, ghost hunting is not for my nerves. Zak is a professional, but I'm not.

I slowly open my eyes and try to keep the camera still, while I keep shooting at him. He stands in place, trying hard to hear something. I jump when I suddenly hear Billy's voice trough Zak's walkie talkie. "I think I heard somethin' like a growl.. Did you guys hear it?" Oh my god. A growl? "No, we didn't.. Gonna listen to our recordings..", he answers to Billy. "Kay..", I hear Billy's voice. Zak presses his recorder very close to his ear, but it seems that we didn't manage to capture the growl on tape.

"Nad, gonna check your recording?" he asks. I shake my head, when I realise what he just asked. "No, you'll do it!" I say and grin when I reach out my hand to give him the recorder. "As you wish..", he mumbles and takes it. He listens to it. And then he just freezes. "Hey, Zak.. You okay?" I ask, when he just stands still. He brings a finger on his lips, gesturing me to be quiet. I just nod and wait. "I think you captured it..", he says and steps closer. "Here..", he says and motions me to listen at the recording.

"Show yourself to us! Use my energy. Attack me, hurt me!" I hear Zak's voice shout in the dark. I look at him, when I can't hear anything unusual. Then he just smiles and the look on his face tells me that I should just wait. And, then I hear it. A deep, low growl.. The voice is very disturbing.. Demonic. It's definitely NOT a human. I look at Zak and freeze, when I realise that the cause of the voice is probably somewhere near us. We just can't see it. "Doesn't sound like a girl..", I mumble as Zak returns me my recorder. He laughs. "No.. Sound's very.." I take a deep breath. "Demonic", I say. He just nods.

"Let's try with the spirit box.." he says and I can see it in his hand. He places his recorder on the bed, right next to my feet. I soon hear the awful sound that the spirit box makes. It works by scrolling trough different radio frequencies. If any voices come trough, we'll hear words. And that's what makes it so scary..

This complicated device looks like a tiny, round box. He covers it with his hand, so that it can be heard what he's saying. "Is there anybody with us now?" He removes his hand from the box and listens. No voices come trough, only some weird voice mixture that sounds like a broken TV. "Tell me your name!" He shouts. One he removes his hand from the box again, I hear a silent "nope". I freeze. My breath hitches in my throat. "Zak, did it just say nope..", I ask silently. He just nods and gives me a comforting little smile. "Nadine is there.. Is that your bed? Do you like her being there?" he asks. I try to sit very still. For ten or twenty seconds nothing comes trough. Then, suddenly it says "hurt". My heart beats ten times faster, when I realise what the spirit probably wants to do to me. It wants to hurt me because I am laying on her.. or his.. bed. The demonic, dark voice that keeps coming trough.. It's very hard to tell, if it's a man or a woman. Or neither.

I breath quickly, and I hope that Zak doesn't notice that I am scared. "Are you going to hurt Nadine?" Seconds seem to be so much longer here in the darkness than in the basement. His words seem to get stuck in the air, and reach my ears a very long time after being said. "Are you hurt?" he asks, trying get an answer. But the spirit stays quiet.

I feel a cold blast of air. Like in the hallway earlier. "Hey- Zak, you feel that?" I ask silently. I sigh in relief when he steps a bit closer. "Feel what?" he asks. "It's like freezing in here..", I mumble. He moves his hand in the air. "Yeah.. I can feel it now.." He turns off the spirit box to grab an EMF detector. I shoot at him with my camera. "EMF spikes often tell about a presence of a spirit. Electromagnetic fields are something that ghost are said to be made of.." he explains. I can only see how he is shooting at the device with his camera. "Zero.. One.. One and a half.." I hear him mumble for his camera. "Back to zero.."

My arm feels hot. Too hot. I test the air near my arm with my other hand, but only my arm feels like it's burning. I yelp, when I realise that I am now probably dealing with something paranormal. I try to tell Zak, but I can't make any voice. I suddenly feel like a hand on my arm. The burning sensation moves up, towards my throat. My heart beats a way too fast. I try to cover my arm with my another hand, but of course, there is nothing. I can still feel the cold hand on my arm. It causes me to shiver.

My throat is suddenly on fire. It feels like there was something sharp, too. I drop the camera on my lap. I try to scream, but nothing comes out. It feels like I was chocking. Like there was a knife on my throat.. "Zak..", I manage to whisper. He turns his camera towards me, and then I manage to scream. "Zak. I can't breathe!"

He runs at the bed. "Are you touching Nadine?" he shouts. I hear like a knock somewhere behind my head. "Leave her alone. Hurt me!" he shouts. Zak sits on the bed, and suddenly I can breathe again. "Nad, you okay?" I manage to nod. "I think.. I don't know.. Something happened to my arm.." He reaches in his pocket to grab a flashlight.

He points at my hand with the light. He inhales sharply. "What is it?" I ask and try to see my arm. And, I see three long scratches. They are bleeding a bit. They start before my shoulder, and I can feel them on my throat as well, so I assume they continue under my shirt, over my chest. "It.. It scratched me?" I ask and look at Zak, who nods slowly. "Let's go back in the basement..", he says. The best idea of the whole day!