Status: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

Come Die With Me

Chapter 1 "Principium"

Prologue

I can’t begin to tell you what is swimming in my head at this time. I never thought I would make it this far. I have been put on death row for crimes I wish I could remember, but I haven’t been able to remember anything from these past couple of months. The days go by fast and the nights slow. All I have at night is the sound of screams, echoing in my head. The screaming of the victims I have been told I have killed, but I don’t recall killing anyone. For days I have sat in this cell talking to no one, eating nothing because what use does a man have to eat when he is about to die.

“Prisoner 519,” The tall guard yells.

I haven’t heard my number being called out in a long time, so at the moment I didn't know he was talking to me.

“Prisoner 519, you have a visitor.” He explains bemused.

“Who?” I manage to ask.

“Dr. Ebly,”

I never did like my doctor, she always thought I was crazy. I looked down before she entered the room; I didn’t like to look at her. It wasn’t because she was ugly, she was actually quite attractive. She was quite tall, maybe because of the extremely high heels she wore. I never understood why a doctor would need to wear high heels, but that’s a story for another time. I laugh under my breathe.

“Excuse me?” Dr. Ebly questioned.

“Nothing… What brings you here today Dr. Ebly, just a couple hours before my execution?” I murmur.

“ Please, how many times have I told you to call me Jude, and I just came to say goodbye and that I wish we could have met under different circumstances. You are quite an interesting person.”

“How can you say that about someone like me, someone who has killed people!” I shout.

“I don’t believe you’ve done those things they say you have done...you seem like a nice guy.”

“You know what they say, looks are deceiving.” I smile.

“ I also came to tell you, I’m sorry…”

“Sorry, about what?”

“ I’m sorry that I couldn’t have helped you sooner, before you were put on death row.”

“ I don’t think anything you could have done would have changed the minds of the jury.”

“ I know, and I’m sorry…” She started to cry.

I sat there wondering why this woman would be crying about a person like me. A monster or that’s what I like to call myself. I put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her, and then instantly I am hit in the stomach by something that felt like a boulder. I look up trying to see through the tears that have now filled my eyes. I see the guard from earlier holding up a night stick.

“Prisoners do not touch the visitors!” He bellowed.

“I’m sorry…”

I hear Jude say as she turns around and leaves the cell. I start to stand, gripping my stomach as if I don’t’ my guts would just fall out.

“ I wasn’t gonna do anything.” I whimper.

“ I didn’t know that for sure, just prison policy.”

I sit on my bed and watch the guard leave. I try to quiet the ringing sound in my ears. He hit me quite hard and I don’t believe he knew that. What time is it? I wonder, looking out the window in my cell, and I can tell the sun is just about to set. It’s almost night, I’m due for execution at 10:45 p.m. I wish that time would go faster, the waiting is killing me. Pun intended.

“ Excuse me, Ken, do you know what time it is?”

Ken was the inmate in the cell adjacent to mine. And from his cell he could see the clock in the guard room. He told me that one time at lunch. I have no idea why I remember that, the most random things stick with you.

“ Kenneth,”

“What man I was sleeping?” I hear him murmur.

“ What time is it?” I prob again.

“ What?”

“ The time, what is it?” I ask getting irritated.

“ I don’t know dude, hold on…. Uhhh 8:34.”

“ Thanks…” I whisper.

Now knowing that I only had less than two hours to live made my heart race my palms began to sweat. I wish this wasn’t happening to me. Not now. But I know what I have been accused of, and you don’t get to live after doing something like that. All I can do now is just lay down and think about what I have done and hope that whatever they do will be quick. During this period of time I believe I have dozed off, because I awoke to bright lights, you know the kind that are used in the hospital. The name of them eludes me. I’m laying on a cold metal bed, trying to find out what happen, I see a man wearing a white apron and a surgical mask. The room is bright white, I believe I’m in heaven, but before I make that assumption I hear a man speaking.

“Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you-”

I believe it’s the priest reading the scripture, they would read to the death row inmates. I start to panic but unable to move, they must of drugged me with some kind of sedative.

“-not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. “

I can tell that I am crying, because my eye sight is watery. My mouth becomes dry and I hear my heart pounding in my chest

"Do you have any last words?"
♠ ♠ ♠
"He left in search of a brand new world and found her across the Atlantic. In perfect silence and undying adoration, she followed." - WC