Hiker's Tale

Chapter 3

"MOM! Don't leave me!" Trevor called out, reaching a dripping dirty hand up to Tricia.

"TREVOR! TAKE MY HAND!" She called to him. Tricia put her hand down to Trevor, who was on a side of a cliff and screamed. Trevor let go with one hand to pull himself up. Instead of benefiting him, this made him slip down the cliff and fall some thousand feet below. Tricia screamed at the top of her lungs while lightning flashed twice.

Tricia's eyes shot open to see Andy smiling at her with a camera and Trevor, who was better than ever, standing next to him laughing.

"W--what did you just do?" She said with a raspy voice.

"Sorry... I couldn't help myself.." Andy laughed a bit. "You were drooling..." The two boys snickered at the picture taken of Tricia's small sleeping habits. Tricia snatched the camera away.

"Are we there?" She asked, angrily.

"Yeah! COME SEE! Its amazing!" Andy exclaimed, beckoning for her to follow. The mountain was gorgeous. The air was fresh. Glancing around, Tricia could see no sign of a cabin.

"Where are we staying?" She asked, putting her hand above her brow to shade the sun.

"ANYWHERE WE WANT!" Andy put his arms out and smiled. He threw his big pack over his shoulder and took Trevor's hand in his.

"WHAT?" Tricia wasn't used to camping. They usually had a cabin to stay in so this being said took her by surprise.

"Trevor, see that?" Andy said, getting down on one knee to match Trev's height. "Thats the river we'll be staying by. You make sure we stay by that river, kay?" Trevor nodded, showing no sign of fright.

After a long hike through the woods, Trevor began to show signs of exhaustion. Andy could see this and decided to take a rest.

"Pretty good so far, huh Trish?" He asked, taking a swig of water. Trish shrugged.

"Could be better.." A grin grew along her face, jokingly. The two laughed awhile. The family's joy was outstanding. At this time, Trevor had seen enough landscape to already be done, but despite the fact that the hike was hard and painful, the young boy was having too much fun to leave.

The day grew dim as the sun seemed to hide behind the vast lake. Andy stopped the two from walking and pointed to the gorgeous sight.

"Look, we have to watch this..." Gazing about him, Andy found a perfect place to sit. He patted the soft ground next to him, making Little Dog rush over and cuddle up on his side. Tricia sat next to LD and cuddled Trevor tight.

"What a breathtaking sight to end the day..." Tricia smiled and looked over at Andy, who was gazing mesmerized by the sun. The sun's hypnotizing rays pulsed in and out while it slowly faded. All the time it did, Trevor's thoughts were finally coming to his mind: Are there wolves? Bears? Will we be safe? What should we do once daylight is dead? Will we die as well?

Though these thoughts struck him suddenly, just as suddenly they disappeared.

"Alright guys! Let's set up!" Andy cried, patting his leg as he stood up. "Come on LD. This way." Andy stomped through bushels and overgrown weeds to find the perfect place for camp. This outstretched, wide opened place was home to only few of the many animals of that area. Searching around, he found one cave, one bird's nest and one snake hole. Nodding in approval, Andy beckoned for the others to come.

After setting up camp, the four, including Little Dog, all settled down in their sleeping bag's under the comfort of the quite protective tent. Andy felt success. He felt as if he had not found victory, but victory had found him. The trip had been like no other. Trish was impressed, Trevor was hyper off of the landscapes and even Little Dog was happier than ever before. The trip was perfect-- or it seemed. Andy heard the sound of a wolf's cry. The loud, strong, triumphant sound of the wolf's rolling deep cry bounced off the trees and smacked Andy right in the face. Andy jumped up and, seeing that his companions were fast asleep, slowly lowered himself back down. He closed his eyes tight, trying to forget the sound when suddenly it came again. Deeper, stronger, louder than before. It seemed to be circling the campsite from a distance. The sound came again. This time seemingly further away. It was coming from the right side of the camp. Andy shook his head in amazement. He knew that wolves didn't usually bother hiker's unless the smell of blood or meat was lingering by them. Suddenly, the cry came again but this time, it was right outside the tent, much closer than before. Andy propped himself up on his elbows and turned around to see the silhouette of a bold wolf. It snarled a couple of times and howled once more, all its fur sticking up. The wolf's cry was answered by another different wolf. This wolf cried out twice, once in replying and once to call to another wolf. The sounds went on, endlessly, as if the bold, strong creatures were singing. Andy grabbed his hunting gun and slowly made his way to the tent. Little Dog, he noticed, had already left the tent. He gently moved the opening to the tent and stepped out, cautiously making his way to the wolf. Andy propped the big shot gun on his arm and aimed it as he slowly stepped to the sound of a snarling hungry beast. His anger rose, for he now had thoughts of these animals killing and eating Trevor and Patricia. Cocking the gun, Andy peered around the corner when suddenly something jumped up on him. Andy's screamed as loud as he could and pointed the gun directly at the beast. The sound of his scream echoed through the dense forest and endlessly shouted the shout of terror.