Status: Completed. Any feedback is appreciated.

Wayde Woods Massacre

CHAPTER 4

A couple more hours slipped away and it was soon midnight. The rainstorm had not let up. The puddles were now a single thin layer of water covering the ground. Suzette thought it was so fitting, it wasn't even supposed to rain this weekend, but as it usually happens when things go bad they only continue to get worse.

No one had moved or spoken much in the last two hours. The only one who was active was Fat Bill, who periodically made rounds to the windows to make sure they were as safe as possible. Though he couldn't see outside, it gave him a little comfort to check. Gave everyone a little comfort to see him check. Though he did grip the spear tighter when he walked by the shattered window. Nichole ended up falling asleep in Manny's arms, perhaps from the comfort he provided to her. Everyone else was wide awake, fear dictating their every thought.

Tony and Manny weren't the only ones who now knew whatever was out there wasn't an animal. Megan finally relaxed just enough to think about it, and put two and two together. Somewhere in the back of Ben's mind he knew it too, but he was successfully distracting himself from that thought.

Fat Bill once again stood to do his rounds. As he got to the first window he looked out, aided by the porch light. He couldn't see much, a few yards and the outline of their lifeless vehicles. But everything seemed normal. He went to the next wall and looked out the window but as usual only saw blackness. He gazed down at his spear and gripped it tighter, wishing he had a gun. That's when it dawned on him! He felt so stupid for not thinking of this before!

"Tony!" He called out into the room.

"Quiet down, man," Tony replied, "What is it?"

"Just thought of somethin'. Earlier I went 'n' checked out the bath house. The back part was a little tool shed thing. There's a gun on the wall!"

Tony almost jumped out of his chair. "Are you serious? Do you think there was any ammo?"

"Probably," Fat Bill answered, "What's the point of havin' a gun that ain't got any bullets?"

"Why would there be a gun here?" Manny wondered out loud.

For the first time in awhile Ben spoke up, on his feet at the prospect of some legitimate protection. "This is the woods. There's all kinds of snakes and predators around here. Probably in case guests needed it." He then turned to Tony, "Did they say anything about a gun being up here when you rented the place?"

Tony thought for a moment, then shook his head. "I don't know man, they talked a lot. I didn't pay attention to much of it."

"It may be our only hope," Ben said.

"Alright," Tony started, standing up, "Bill and Manny will run out to the shed and get the gun and any ammo that's out there."

Nichole was instantly furious, "Why the fuck does Manny have to go?! Are your legs broken?!"

"It's okay," Manny tried to reassure her, "I need to do what needs to be done."

But Nichole wasn't having any of this. "If Manny has to go, you have to go Tony."

"Fine!" Tony yelled, "Manny you stay here and guard the place." He tossed the flare gun into Manny's hands. He tried to wear his 'don't give a shit' attitude, but he really didn't want to go out there. Not in the dark, not in the rain, not so far away from the group.

"You ready Tone?" Fat Bill asked.

"Yeah, I'm ready," Tony lied. Bill opened the door and they began running toward the bath house.

* * *

Bill and Tony ran like never before. Bill, being heavier set, was never a big fan of running. But tonight he was giving it all he had and suprisingly was able to keep up with Tony. Still, it seemed like forever until they were finally at their destination. The bath house also had a porch light, which was good because otherwise you couldn't see anything in the darkness of a rain-filled night.

Tony got to the door first. He tried furiously to open the door. It was locked!

"I THOUGHT YOU GOT IN HERE BEFORE!" Tony yelled through the deafening rain.

"NO!" Fat Bill replied, "I SAW THE GUN THROUGH THE WINDOW!"

Tony and Bill kicked at the door with all their might. Multiple kicks hit their target and the door seemed to be weakening. Finally Bill motioned for Tony to step back and he thrust himself through the door. Instantly it gave in and swung open, Bill hit the floor.

"You alright?" Tony asked, helping him to his feet.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Bill said back, brushing his jeans off.

"Let's just grab this gun and get the hell out of here," Tony sighed. The night wearing him down.
Fat Bill began running his hands over the dark wall. Searching without his eyes.

"What are you doing, Bill?" Tony asked, confused.

"I'm lookin' for a light switch." Bill answered, still breathing heavily from the run.

"The power is out dumbass," Tony replied.

Bill became angry. He usually wasn't easily insulted, but this situation was anything but usual. He swung around and grabbed Tony by his shirt, bringing him closer to Bill's face.

"Fuck you dumbass!" Bill spat, his voice wasn't loud but displayed his anger very well. "The goddamn porch light was on, that's means there should be power running to this goddamn shed. You understand now?" Bill kept ahold of him and watched the terror on Tony's face.

Tony knew Fat Bill was a kind man, but could easily kill another man with his bare hands if he wanted to. Tony didn't think Bill would ever hurt him, but he wasn't going to push his luck.

"I'm sorry Bill, I'm just stressed. That was stupid of me," he pleaded.

Fat Bill slowly released his grip. Tony deserved a beating, but Bill felt bad for grabbing him like that. It wasn't right, not in this situation. "Okay then," was all he could mutter. He tried the walls again and found the light switch. He used his finger to push the switch up and thankfully a dim, yellow light came on.

The gun was hanging up on a wall over a workbench. Tony carefully lifted it off the hooks and brought it down in front of him. It was a shotgun, double barrel.

"Please let there be ammo," Tony whispered to himself as he opened the weapon. But there was none.

Tony and Fat Bill began quickly rumaging through the dwarers, looking for ammo. They worked hastilly, knowing there was no time to waiste. The contents of the dwarers were being tossed sloppily onto the workbench. Tony finished with the dwarers on his end and set down the shotgun so he could search the cabinets, pulling out various work clothing and welding supplies and tossing them on the ground.

Finally Tony saw it. A small box of shotgun shells was staring him in the face. He snatched it up and looked inside, it was full! A huge smile spread across Tony's face as he turned to Bill, "We're in business big buddy."

"Oh my god!" Bill muttered, a look of sheer terror on his face.

* * *

Megan stood looking out the window, wanting Tony and Bill back in that cabin. Tony was her boyfried and she wanted him safe. But as she stood there she knew she cared more about having Bill back. Bill was big and tough, absolute horror to anyone who pissed him off, but a savior if you needed protection. He could put his arm around you in the most comforting way but would also scare off the bad guys. She didn't know that Bill could scare off whatever was out in those woods, but he would die fighting it away from her. That's who Bill was, he would take a bullett for someone he cared about.

Megan turned away from the window and placed her back against the wall beside it gingerly. She scanned the room the best she could with what dim light came in from the porch. Nobody was doing good. Manny was now sitting in Tony's guard chair, gripping the flare gun so hard his hand was shaking slightly. Nichole was sitting with her legs up in a recliner, biting her nails like it was her last meal. Suzette laid on the couch motionless, staring into space. Jenny looked the worst off all, sitting on the floor in a corner of the room. She was still crying and rocking gently, holding her stomache. Megan really wanted to comfort her but she didn't know what to say, she needed comforting herself.

"Are you okay, Megan?" Ben's voice interupted her thoughts. He was standing next to her.
She forced a smile for him, "I'm fine, Ben. Thanks."

In a somewhat surprisingly bold move for Ben, he placed his hand on Megan's shoulder. "It's okay for you to cry Megan," he said, "you don't always have to be the tough one."

This caught Megan completely off guard. She looked at him for a moment, then the tears began to fall. Catching Ben off guard, she fell into his arms. "I'm so scared, Ben. I don't know what to do."

He embraced her the best he could. He had no idea what to say, but he did his best to comfort her physically. She remained in Ben's arms and sobbed, something she hadn't done in a long time.

* * *

"What the fuck is it, Bill?" Tony asked, his voice shaking uncontrollably.

Bill's eyes were still wide, the whites of them piercing the dimness of the shack. "I just saw someone outside," he finally said.

Tony could only imagine what this person must have looked like to put that look of fear on Fat Bill's face. Bill didn't scare easily, he had been in numerous fights and loved it. Tony knew when a guy like Fat Bill is terrified, things were guarenteed to go bad.

Slowly Tony turned around, but no one was there. He looked for a moment into the rain outside before whispering to Fat Bill, "Where did he go?"

As if by request, lightening lit up the outdoors and they could see a man standing a good distance away from the shed they were in. Even at that distance they could tell how big this man was and he made Bill look like a child. Their visability was limited to mostly a black figure but they could distinctly see the outline of a machette in the man's hand.

The outside went hidden once again. Tony and Bill were frozen there, too scared and too unsure of what to do. After a few moments the lightening flashed again. The shadow figure was moving...straight toward them!

"Jesus Christ, it's coming this way!" Tony cried out.

Fat Bill scanned the shed in a rage of speed. "HERE!" Fat Bill yelled, spotting a door. With a little force the metal door swung open. "GET IN THERE!" he yelled at Tony.

Fat Bill went in first and Tony began to run, but tripped over the pile of welding supplies he had piled on the floor. The shotgun flew out of his hand and slid under the workbench and the box of ammo fell loose as well. Quickly Tony got to his feet and ran through the door.

Once Tony was inside, Fat Bill slammed it shut and locked it using a big metal lever half way down the door. They stepped away from it and Fat Bill looked around, squinting in the darkness.

"It's the bath house," Bill whispered, "We're in the bath house." Fat Bill wiped the sweat off his face and looked at Tony, instantly noticing the lack of a weapon. "Where the fuck is the shotgun?" he asked in alarm.

"Fuck," Tony mumbled. He then looked up at Bill, "I dropped it when I tripped."

"Oh my god," was all Bill could muster. Some sort of giant psychopathic killer was after them and their only gun was locked in the next room. The room that at any second would also contain their hunter. The shotgun was the whole reason for running out to their deaths to begin with. And now Bill realised that this probably would be their deaths. His legs ached and he didn't think he would have the stamina to sprint back to the cabin. Bill's head was full of questions, why did he have to rememer the stupid shotgun? Why did Tony come with him instead of Manny. Tony may have been the star athlete at their highschool, but Manny was truly better. Stronger, faster, smarter - Everybody knew it, even Tony.

Bills thoughts were interupted as Tony touched his hand and pointed toward the door, whipering, "Look."

The handle to the metal door slowly turned, making no sound. It seemed to take forever before the handle was turned completely, both Tony and Bill held their breath the entire time. Small nudges were being applied to the door, someone was attempting to open it from the other side. Apparently giving up, the handle slowly turned back to its original position.

Tony let out his breath with a sigh of releif, Bill held on to his. BANG! The door violently shook as it was being forced open. BANG! BANG! BANG! The tries were relentless, every bang making Tony jump and Bill fill more with dread. BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Everytime the knocks got louder. Now the top hinges broke off with a metallic ting. In a few moment the giant would be on their side of the walls.

Tony ran over to door that led outside. He unlocked it and jiggled the handle but it wouldn't budge. He began thrusting his body against it, trying desperatly to force it open. It had to be locked from the outside. "Shit! It's locked!"

Fat Bill barely even noticed. He was frozen in the chilly embrace of a feeling so foreign to him: fear. He watched as the door was at its end, his mind racing. At first the life he feared for was his own. Then his mind slowly led him to the cabin. All of his friend were in there. Well except for Tony, who was going to die with him. Poor Manny and Nichole had just got engaged. And Megan... Bill closed his eyes. He loved Megan like a sister. He couldn't let her down. Bill knew he stood little chance against the monster on the other side of the door, but maybe he could do something. At least return Tony to her for a little while.

It was like something clicked on in Bill's brain. He jumped up and instantly planned everything. He quickly scanned the room and found a small tool box. Apparently just incase any emergency repairs were needed in the bathhouse, or maybe it was just there by accident. Maybe it was there by some stroke of pure luck. Bill searched through the tool box hastilly and eventually pulled out a screw driver. It was long, a little over a foot in length.

Tony had not taken notice of Bill's recent activities. He was still attempting to open the front door.

"Knock it off and get over here!" Bill hissed.

Tony followed the order without hesitation. "What's the plan?"

"Just get against that wall. And when the time is right, run through that door," Bill commanded without even glancing at Tony.

Bill knew it was close. The door was thick and strong, but about to give. He braced himself, holding the screwdriver like a knife and getting into position.

BANG! BANG! BANG! CRASH!

The door fell flat on the ground and the intruder barraled through. Bill waisted no time, with a warriors cry he lept up and ran straight for the killer. The guy was strong and grabbed both Bill's arms, keeping the screwdriver from entering his body. Dispite Bill's struggling, he could not move, instead he looked over at Tony.

"RUN, MAN! FUCKIN RUN!" Bill screamed. Tony, previously in shock at what he was witnessing, ran. He ran straight past Bill and the psychopath. Straight through the tool shed and straight out the door. Straight past the shotgun.

With one shove, the giant threw Bill against the wall. Bill hit hard and fell to one knee, but quickly regained his stance and charged once again. The giant reached out and grabbed his throat, squeezing hard. Bill was gasping for air as he raised up the screwdriver and forced it right into the giant's arm.

To Bill's relief, the giant let go. Bill fell to his knees once agin, trying to breathe.

But any notice the giant took of being stabbed was short lived. The giant to one step forward and grabbed Bill, lifting his entired body off the ground. At first Bill yelled, screamed at the situation. Screamed into the situation. But he stopped as the giant just held him there and noticed what the killer looked like.

The giant was wearing a camoflauge jacket. Hunting, not military. He was also wearing dark brown pants and thick black boots. His face was covered by a ski mask, but this was not an usual ski mask, it was made of leather. He noticed long, black hair coming out the back of the mask.

Even though Bill had intellectually known it, he still hadn't come to terms with the fact that this was a man. Seeing what happened to Michael, seeing what happened to the door, experiencing the sheer size and strength of this thing, it had to be a monster. And yet, what stood there holding him up like a child was a man. A man who was going to end Bill's young life.

The moment of contemplation was over. The giant slammed Bill into one of the bathtubs. Bill let out a scream as he landed on his arm and felt it snap. Looking down he could see a bloody bone jutting out. His breaths were in short, strained gasps. The giant escaped back into the tool shed, only to reamerge weilding his machete.

Bill watched in terror as the giant walked to the tub. He looked down at Bill as if to offer the chance for final words. The thought rushed into Bill's mind to say Fuck You. It was what they always said in movies, and this was, if nothing else, just like a horror flick.

As soon as Bill started to speak the blade of the machette came crashing down against his body. He could feel the blade rip through his skin like paper and slicing through his guts. Bill's mouth was open in a scream, but no noise escaped. With wide eyes, Bill saw the machette raise again, crashing back down on his body. The tub was begining to fill with blood. Bill was begining to feel hazy, a feeling he welcomed as it eased the pain, but only a little. He saw the killer raise the machette once more, and closed his eyes. He tried to picture something else, he didn't want that bastard to be the last thing he ever saw. But he couldn't get the image out of his mind fast enough, and with one final swipe the machette crashed into Bill's heart. Fat Bill was dead.