Status: This is my first time writing something for you guys- I hope you like it!

Eat Something

Four

Josh clocks out and grabs his hoodie. He reaches out for my hand but I pull back. I don't want him touching me. He barely knows me. He'd cringe at my cold skin.

He flashes a smirk and walks out the door, motioning for me to follow. He leads me to his beat up green pick up truck. I can tell he has probably never washed the thing. He opens the passenger door for me, not because he was being chivalrous but because he has to almost rip the door from it's hinges.

I jump in the car and reach for my seat belt, I don't trust this car. Only... there isn't one.

The car ride is short to get to the park, around five minutes. He plugs in his iPod and turns on a sceamo song.

"WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO, BETH?" He needs to scream himself to be heard over the awful music. I look at him for a moment, definitely not this. He turns it down enough to talk in a normal voice.

"Come on, tell me you don't listen to Metallica!" He looks shocked. Why? That's a distinct style of music.

"No I like more... chill music." He doesn't like me. He's not gonna like me. Why do I care? Of course he doesn't like me, who could like me?

We're stuck at a red light and he plugs in a cord to the weird push in light/fire thing for cigarettes. He hands me the other end that has a headphone jack.

"Alright, give me an example." I take the cord and plug it into my phone. I play my favorite song: 'Casimir Palaski Day' by Sufjon Stevens.

The song is only about halfway over and we're pulling into the park parking lot, winding slowly around every turn. Josh is nodding his head ever so slightly to the subtle beat of the song. I can't tell if he actually likes it or is trying to like it for me. We pull into a spot under a willow tree and he turns the car off. The music is still playing and we listen to the depressing words.

"Well, that was... different. Not bad but I wouldn't have expected that kinda music. Cool. So a walk then?" He flows from one topic to another. I go to grab my bag from the car floor and he touches my arm.

"You're not gonna want that where we're going. Leave your phone here, too." He smiles and hops out of his seat. I think for a second:I just met this kid. I don't even know his last name. And he wants me to wonder a park with him without my phone? I have nothing to lose. Let's go.