Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chapter 11

It has been a month since the incident with Joe and Stacy was finally getting back into her normal routine. She had been back at work for two weeks, it felt nice to be busy again and have something to focus on. She had been spending most of her time at Adam’s, unable to sleep in her own bed anymore. Adam didn’t mind though, since they had said their first I love you’s things couldn’t have been better. They spend most of their free time together, which was something Adam had a lot of. The band was still on a short break after their tour and was deciding what they wanted to do next. Their record label was working on setting up a tour overseas so Maroon 5 could travel to Europe and Asia, an idea that excited Adam.
In the last few weeks the couple had done dinner with both of their families and was starting to get much more serious. Stacy had never met Adam’s family before but it went well, she really connected with his father, finding the man very easy to talk with and instantly took a liking to him. Adam’s siblings were all friendly and welcoming to her which she was thankful for, she was worried that because Adam was in the lime light and she wasn’t that they would think we was after his money.

“My family loved you,” Adam told her as they drove home that night. “I’ve never seen my dad take such an interest in talking with one of my girlfriends.”

Stacy smiled over at him as he squeezed her thigh, “I’m glad. They were really great Adam; I enjoyed spending time with them.”

Adam was navigating the car through the busy streets of L.A. to bring them back to his house when he got an idea. Stacy watched him, she could almost see the wheels turning inside his skull, he looked very thoughtful.

“What are you thinking?” She asked him curiously.

“You should move in with me.” He stated it like it was the most casual thing in the world.

“What?” She laughed. They hadn’t even been dating for a year yet, wasn’t that a little quick?

“You stay with me all the time now as it is, you should move in with me!” He grinned at her. “It’s a great idea!”

Stacy thought about it for a moment, she did stay at his place more often than not these days and she hated being in her town house alone after what happened there.

“Stacy think about it, you don’t have to answer me right now.” He said softly, he glanced over at her. “Just know that I love you and I think we have something really great here.”

Stacy smiled at him, “Okay.”

“Okay?” He asked, happiness in is tone.

“I’ll move in with you.” She grinned.

Adam let out a hoot of excitement, “This is amazing!”

Stacy laughed and joined in his celebration, the couple quickly talking about plans for them to go to her place over the upcoming weekend and packing up her things.

The couple had wasted no time getting Stacy settled at Adam’s home, ending her lease on her town home and moving all of her belongings into his place. They quickly and easily fell into a comfortable routine of work and spending time together. The band had started rehearsals for their shows on the tour they would embark on overseas in less than two months and Stacy had started picking up a few extra shifts here and there to make up for all the time she had off recently. They spent their days off together or with their friends, enjoying this new phase in their relationship.

Stacy was currently on the phone with her best friend Sam, trying to find a weekend she could go and visit her. She was looking over her calendar when her heart sunk.

“Holy shit,” Stacy gasped.

“What’s the matter?” Sam asked, clearly concerned.

“I’m late.” Stacy knew she didn’t have to explain any further than that, the girls had been through more than one pregnancy scare together.

“Are you kidding? Maybe it’s because of the stress from moving?” Sam was always the optimist.

“Maybe, but over two weeks late? That seems excessively late when I’m on the pill.” Stacy wasn’t sure what to think.

“Well go buy a test! Put yourself out of this misery of not knowing!” Sam exclaimed.

“All alone? You’re always here with me when I have to do this!” Stacy was panicked. She and Adam hadn’t been together that long, they’d never talked about kids, she didn’t even know if he wanted them. They hard practically just started saying I love you!

“Well do you want to wait until you come see me?” Sam asked.

“I can’t wait that long, I’ll give myself an ulcer from worrying so much!” Stacy shook her head, she had to know now.

“Okay, here’s what we are going to do,” Sam was always the level headed one. “You are going to drive to the drug store and buy a pregnancy test right now. Then you’re going to call me when you get home and I’m going to talk you through the whole thing.”

“Alright, I’ll call you in 20.” Stacy hung up the phone and grabbed her keys. She glanced at the clock in the kitchen; Adam wouldn’t be home for another few hours so she’d have plenty of time.

Stacy hurried to the drug store and bought a box of two pregnancy tests and then quickly drove home. As she entered the bathroom she hit her speed dial number 1 and called Sam back.

“Hey, I’m home, I’ve got the tests.” Stacy was speaking quickly and Sam could hear the nervousness in her tone.

“Just breathe; you don’t even know you’re pregnant yet.” Sam tried to reason with her friend.

“I’m currently peeing with you on the phone.” Stacy tried to make light of the situation.

“And that’s okay!” Sam laughed.

“Okay, two minutes.” Stacy was practically shaking. She had never been this late.

Stacy and Sam talked for a few minutes about her trip up to Sam’s, making plans about what they should do while she was there. They were both so excited to see each other that they momentarily forgot about the task at hand.

“Stac, it’s been two minutes.” Sam softly reminded her.

“I know, I’m trying to put it off.” She responded. She slowly stood up from her and Adam’s bed and walked into the bathroom. The stick was on the counter and she could hardly move her feet to look at it.

She took a deep breath and then picked it up, flipping it over in her hand.

There on the tiny screen read “Pregnant”. Stacy dropped the stick and almost fell to the ground.

“Oh my god,” She breathed.

“What? What happened? Are you?” Sam could be heard from the other end of the phone but she sounded so far away. “Stacy? Come on! Talk to me!”

“I’m pregnant. I’m fucking pregnant.” She muttered. She was only 23, she was dating a man that was 6 years older than she was and she had never talked to him about having a child.

“You’re pregnant?! Holy shit!” Sam didn’t know what to say.

“Sam I’ve got to go. I’ll call you later, I need to figure out what I’m going to do about this. I have to tell Adam, I don’t know what he’s going to do! Holy shit, I don’t even know if he ever wants kids! And I’m fucking pregnant! I’m going to pass out, oh my god.” Stacy was rambling.

“Just try and take a few deep breaths. Just don’t do anything drastic and please call me when you can!” Sam said before her friend hung up.

Stacy threw away the evidence and tried to figure out how she was going to tell Adam this. She paced around their bedroom for a while before going downstairs and starting dinner. Adam would be home in less than an hour and she had to act normal while she figured out what to do.

Stacy was stirring the alfredo sauce when she felt arms wrap around her waist, causing her to jump.

“Whoa! Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I figured you heard me come in.” Adam laughed at his girlfriend, leaning around to kiss her cheek.

Stacy had been so wrapped up in her own thoughts that she hadn’t heard him come in.

“How was your day babe?” He asked, rubbing the small of her back.

“Uh, fine. Nothing out of the ordinary,” She laughed and looked back down at the stove.

“Nice to have a few days off of work I bet.” He said, making small talk as he slid up onto the counter top next to the stove.

“Mhmm, it’s great.” She nodded.

“Baby, is everything okay?” Adam asked, looking at his girlfriend, concerned.

“Baby? Who said anything about a baby?” Stacy asked, having a moment of panic.

“What?” He asked, looking at her alarmed. “Stacy what is the matter? You are acting so strange.”

“Nothing, I’ve just had a stressful day and I’m anxious to finally go and see Sam, I miss her.” Stacy lied; she wasn’t ready to tell him just yet.

Adam hopped down from the counter and took the spoon from her hand, “Why don’t you let me do this and you go lay down for a little while. I think you have yourself pretty worked up.”

She nodded and headed to their bedroom upstairs. She lay down underneath the covers and let out a deep sigh, slowly drifting into a restless sleep.

**********************************************************************************
Stacy walked downstairs to find Adam setting the table for dinner.

“Adam I have something to tell you,” Stacy said, wringing her hands.

He set the plate down on the table and looked up at her, “What’s up babe?”

“You may want to sit down.” She told him.

He looked at her concerned but took her advice and sat down on the chair in front of him and then looked at her, waiting.

She took a deep breath and then walked closer to him. “Adam, I’m…..” She took a long pause, looking at him closely. “I’m pregnant.”

“What?” His face had shock written all over it and she began to fear that he would be angry.

“I’m pregnant.” she said again.

“I heard you,” He took a deep breath and stood up, “You’re really pregnant?”

She nodded, “Yes. I took a test this morning.”

Adam’s face was void of all emotion until all of the sudden a smile spread across his face, “Baby this is fantastic! I’m going to be a dad! We’re going to have a family!”

Stacy let out a sigh of relief; she couldn’t believe he was so happy about it.

“Stacy!” He said, trying to catch her attention. She looked up at him but all of the sudden his face was blurry.

*********************************************************************************

“Stacy! Hey, sweetheart wake up. Dinner is ready,” Adam’s voice could be heard as she came back from her dream, she could feel him gently shaking her.

“Huh? I fell asleep, sorry.” She sat up and looked at him. He was smiling at her, kneeling across the bed.

“Are you ready for dinner?” He asked, standing up straight and looking at her expectantly.

“I need to tell you something first,” she said softly. She took a deep breath, her dream fresh in her mind gave her a new wave of courage to tell him.

“Okay,” He still stood there, waiting to hear what she had to say.

“You may want to sit.” She pointed at the bed.

He gave her a concerned look but followed her orders. “Okay, go ahead.”

“Okay, this is really hard for me to say…Adam I’m….” She looked at him, he was staring at her intently. “Adam I’m pregnant.” She blurted it out, feeling like she may throw up right then and there.

“Excuse me?” He asked.

“I’m pregnant.” She said again, this time a little slower.

“Holy shit…” He whispered more to himself than anyone.

She watched him as he stood up and began to pace back and forth. “Pregnant….okay….you’re pregnant. Holy shit….”

“Adam, talk to me, you’re scaring me.” She didn’t know how to take his reaction.

“I’ve got to get out of here… I’ve gotta go….” He grabbed his hoodie from the closet and looked at her one more time. “I’ll uh…I need some fresh air, I’ll be back.”

She sat there staring with wide eyes at the bedroom door where he had just practically run out on her. What just happened?

She started to cry, he had walked out on her. That was the last reaction that she had expected. That wasn’t the Adam that she knew.

She pulled out her phone to call him but it went straight to voicemail like he had rejected the call. She left him a voicemail telling him to please come home so they could talk about this.

She waited for two hours before finally crying herself to sleep. He hadn’t called back and he hadn’t come home.

Stacy woke up a few hours later and it was 1 am, she got up off the bed and walked down the stairs, hoping to find Adam but she wound up disappointed.

She looked at her phone and still, he hadn’t called.

She dialed his number again, this time it rang a few times before going to voicemail. She sighed defeated.

She was just about to head back up the bedroom when she heard the door that led to the garage open. She stopped and turned around, heading into their small laundry room that connected the house to the garage. She flipped on the light and Adam was there, kicking off his boots.

“Hi,” She whispered, relieved that he was home.

“Hey,” He said, he wasn’t looking at her.

“Where were you, I was worried.” She told him honestly.

“I went for a ride on my bike,” He moved past her and walked into their living room.

“Adam, please talk to me about this.” He could tell that she was about to cry and he couldn’t handle looking at her. Everything had just gotten so fucked up, he wasn’t even sure he ever wanted kids.

“I thought you were on the pill.” He spat, he couldn’t stop the words from coming out.

“I was! I am! But sometimes you can get pregnant on the pill.” Tears were streaming down her face now.

“Shit Stacy, I don’t even think I want kids!” He exclaimed.

Stacy’s heart dropped. She knew she had always wanted kids, obviously not this soon in life but if that was God’s plan for her who was she to say no?

She didn’t even know what to say. She just stared at him, hoping he’d change his mind or say something else.

“I’m going to go stay with Mickey for a while, I need to think through this stuff and I can’t do it while I’m around you. I’ll call you when I’m ready to talk.” Adam walked upstairs and she could hear him opening and closing dresser drawers.

She walked upstairs and stood in the doorway. “That’s it? You’re going to leave me here to deal with this on my own? I’m afraid too you know! I’m only 23 and I’m not exactly ready to have kids!”

He threw the rest of his things into his bag and then paused to look at her for a moment, “I’m sorry,” He whispered before brushing past her and she listened as the garage door slammed a few moments later and he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun, dun, dun...and the plot thickens. :) Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming please!