Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chaper 12

It had been almost a week since the couple had their fight and Adam walked out on Stacy after she announced she was pregnant. Stacy had gone to the doctor to have the pregnancy confirmed and found out that she was 12 weeks along, she would be due in March. She had called her parents to tell them the news, they were surprised but supportive. She told them what was going on with Adam and that she wasn’t sure where this would take them but she asked them to please keep things quiet until they worked things out.

She hadn’t heard from Adam much, just that he needed more time and that he was sure he wasn’t ready to be a father. They had spoken on the phone a few times but it led them nowhere besides another fight.

As Stacy drove home from work on Friday morning she decided to call him.

“Hello?” He asked, his voice was sullen.

“Hey,” She said softly.

“Hi, how are you?” He asked. She almost rolled her eyes.

“I’m as good as I can be. I’m on my way home from work. Sam is going to come down to visit this weekend.” She told him. Her best friend was surprised at Adam’s reaction and immediately offered to come down for the weekend.

“Oh yeah, well I’m glad she will be there with you then so you’re not alone.” He said.

“I wouldn’t be alone if you would come home Adam,” Her voice cracked with emotion.

“I told you, I need time.” He repeated for probably the thousandth time.

“Adam it’s almost been a week! How much time do you need?” She was frustrated. “Don’t you think I’m scared? Don’t you think I’m overwhelmed and not ready for this?”

“I’ve just got a lot going on right now okay? I can’t deal with this.” He regretted the words almost as soon as they came out of his mouth.

“Can’t deal with this?” She was crying now. “You can’t deal with the fact that me, the girl you supposedly love is carrying your child and she’s scared to death that you’re going to walk away from her right now!?”

He remained silent so she continued.

“I moved in with you because I love you and I thought you loved me. I feel so unsupported. You’re being so selfish right now Adam, I almost can’t believe it!” She hung up her phone and threw it down in the seat next to her. She was almost home and she couldn’t deal with this anymore.

Adam felt like a fool, he loved her so much but being a father was more than he bargained for.

“You’re an ass.” Jesse, his band mate said as he entered the room.

“What?” Adam asked.

“You’re an ass, you love her yet you’ve left her alone for the last week because you’re afraid to man up? Dude you’re better than that. Get your shit together and apologize to her before you lose her forever.” Jesse slapped him on the shoulder and then walked out of the room again.

Adam began to think, he knew she was pissed now. She went from afraid to mad and he realized for the first time that he could actually lose her. He was so busy thinking about himself and the fact that he didn’t feel ready to be a father that he didn’t even think about her and the pregnancy.

He tried to call her back but she ignored his calls. He knew that he had to do something to win her over again. He began to brainstorm and before long he came up with the perfect idea.

Meanwhile, Stacy had slept the day away, trying to forget about her current predicament with Adam. She slept until almost 5 p.m. before getting up to shower and clean the house up a bit before Sam arrived.

It wasn’t until almost 6 when her best friend came and the two were catching up on the couch when the doorbell rang suddenly.

“I have no idea who that could be,” Stacy said as she got up from the couch and headed to the front door. She was surprised to see Jesse on the other side of it when she opened the door.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” She asked, knowing he knew full well that Adam wasn’t here.

“I came to deliver this,” He pulled out a simple white envelope with her name across it in Adam’s hand writing.

Stacy gave him a curious look before opening the envelope and pulling out the note that was inside. When she unfolded the paper two tickets fell out into her hand. She read them and found that they were for the Maroon 5 show tonight at a local club.

It read:
Stacy,
I’m an ass. Please come to the show tonight.
Love,
Adam

Stacy couldn’t help but laugh slightly at his words; she glanced back up at Jesse.

“Please come, I know he’s really sorry for what he did.” The man tried to persuade her.

Stacy nodded, “We’ll be there.”

Jesse smiled and leaned in to hug the petite woman. “Great, I’ll see you later then!” he paused on the steps and turned around again, “OH! And congratulations on the baby!”

He waved as he walked off of their front steps and Stacy called goodbye to him, smiling. He was the first of the band members to congratulate her on the pregnancy.

She went back into the living room and explained the situation to Sam who was instantly off of the couch and heading towards Stacy’s bedroom.

“We have to find the perfect outfit for you to wear!” She called over her shoulder, already halfway up the steps.

Stacy shook her head and laughed as she followed the blonde up to her bedroom. Sam found Stacy the perfect outfit to wear, something that will make Adam’s jaw drop and make him wish he’d never walked out on her is how Sam described it. Stacy was wearing short white denim shorts that showed off her toned, tan legs and a sheer black top that flowed with three quarter length sleeves, a blank tank top under it and a pair of black leather wedges. She loosely spiral curled her hair and put on silver and black jewelry to match.

Sam was wearing a pair of mint green cropped pants with a floral print tank top and flat gladiator sandals. Once both girls were satisfied with their outfits they headed out for the club, already realizing they were going to miss the start of the show due to the tickets getting to them so late. Stacy was hoping that the opening bands would play long enough so they wouldn’t miss any of Maroon 5’s set.

The traffic was heavy so by the time the two women finally walked into the club the crew was already setting up for Maroon 5 to come on, they had made it just in time.

The tickets that Adam had sent over allowed them access to the balcony of the intimate club so the girls headed upstairs and tried to find an open table so they could sit and enjoy the show.

Once they found a table Sam went to the bar to get both of them something to drink, Stacy had asked her to get her water and told her friend to feel free to drink, just because she couldn’t didn’t mean that Sam couldn’t.

Just as Sam reached the table with two glasses in hand the lights started to dim and you could see male figures walking out onto the stage. The crowd roared with excitement and Stacy’s heart stated to race, it would be the first time she’s seen Adam in a week and her emotions were all over the place.

As soon as the lights came up again her eyes went straight to the front man, he was dressed in his classic jeans and ratty white t-shirt, his stubble was thick and he looked a little more than exhausted. Any other person would think it was just from busy nights in the studio or out partying but Stacy knew that he had been beating himself up over the last few days. She knew Adam wasn’t a bad guy and that in the end he would probably come through but that didn’t stop her from being angry at him for walking out on her and leaving her to deal with all of the emotions of finding out she was having a baby on her own for a week.

The band started to play tracks from their ‘Songs About Jane’ album for close to an hour before they all exited the stage and the lights went dim again. The crowd was yelling for more and it wasn’t long before the lights came up again and Adam was the only one on the stage.

He waited for a moment, allowing the crowd to quiet down before he took the microphone off the stand and brought it to his mouth, “I’ve done some things I’m not exactly proud of lately and I owe someone very important to me an apology. I screwed up and I’m sorry.” Adam looked up at Stacy, making eye contact with her. “I hope I can make it up to you, you deserve more.” Adam turned to the crowd then, “This is a new song I wrote, and I hope you guys enjoy it.”

The rest of the band members walked on stage then and music started to play. Adam began to sing, looking up at Stacy again, ensuring that she knew this song was for her and only her.

I asked her to stay but she wouldn't listen
And she left before I had the chance to say
The words that would mend, the things that were broken
But now it's far too late, she's gone away

Every night you cry yourself to sleep
Thinking why does this happen to me?
Why does every moment have to be so hard?
Hard to believe it

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

Sam looked over at Stacy and saw that she had tears in her eyes, “Are you okay?”
Stacy nodded, never taking her eyes off her boyfriend. This was his apology, he knew he had screwed up and he was trying to fix it.

The taste of her breath, I'll never get over
And the noises that she made kept me awake
The weight of the things that remain unspoken
Built up so much, it crushed us every day

Every night you cry yourself to sleep
Thinking why does this happen to me?
Why does every moment have to be so hard?
Hard to believe it

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

Of all the things I felt but never really showed
And perhaps the worst is that I ever let you know
I should not ever let you go

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

And I won't go home without you
And I won't go home without you
And I won't go home without you

When the song ended Adam looked up to his girlfriend again and nodded at her, giving her a small smile which she returned.

“Thank you L.A.! We appreciate you all coming out tonight!” Adam spoke quickly before waving a hand and running off stage.

Stacy and Sam sat there for a moment, allowing the club to clear out a bit.

“Let’s go find your man,” Sam said lightly, placing a hand on her friend’s shoulder.

Stacy nodded, taking a deep breath.

The pair walked downstairs and made their way to the backstage area where one of the security guards allowed them entry right away, Adam must have given them a heads up they would be coming.

Stacy and Sam walked through the hallway trying to find the dressing room. When they turned the corner Adam had just walked out of the room, looking like he was on a mission. He stopped in his tracks when he saw Stacy, their eyes meeting right away.

“I’ll give you two some time.” Sam whispered before walking past Adam and into the dressing room.

The man and woman slowly made their way to each other, stopping in front of the other before Adam suddenly pulled her to him, embracing her tightly.

“I’m so sorry, I was so stupid.” He whispered into her hair.

Stacy could feel the tears start to swell in her eyes, “Yes, you were.”

Adam let out a laugh, glad that she could still keep her sense of humor even after the horrible thing he did.

“I’m so sorry sweetheart, I was a jerk and you didn’t deserve that.” He told her softly. He gently put both hands on her face and raised it to meet his eyes, “I want to have this baby with you, and I’ll be there to support you.”

Stacy let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. She nodded, unable to find words.

Adam leaned in and kissed her softly, “I’ve missed you so much. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

“I missed you too,” She squeaked. She was so glad he had come to his senses.

“I love you, I’m sorry I let you down, I’m sorry I didn’t get my act together sooner.” He told her.

“I love you too, it doesn’t matter now.” She shook her head. “All that matters is that you did and we’re in this together.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading :) I'm already working on chapter 13 so please leave me some comments and let me know what you think!