Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chapter 20

Stacy went to her parent’s house that night and allowed her mom to take care of Evelyn while she tried to work through what was going on in her relationship. She needed alone time to think about things; think about what she was going to do about Adam. She loved him, but she couldn’t trust him anymore. If this was in fact his baby she would have to stand by while he had a baby with another woman because he’d have to do the right thing and be father. She would have to share her boyfriend, the father of her child with some other woman and a love child. Stacy couldn’t even handle the thought of that, but she also didn’t want their daughter to have to be carted back and forth between houses and split the holidays between two parents. She would never take Evelyn away from Adam, he loved her too much.

Stacy ignored Adam’s calls for days, not ready to talk to him about anything yet. She spent her time working and with Evelyn, she gave her mother strict orders not to be in contact with Adam because she needed time and she needed to decide what was best for her and Evelyn right now.

It was going on the second week of no contact with Adam when she finally broke down and answered his call on a Tuesday night.

Adam was so stunned that she answered he almost forgot to speak. “You answered,” He said, surprised.

“I did,” She said softly. She hated this, she missed him and she knew Evelyn missed him but his betrayal was too great.

“I miss you,” Adam told her honestly. Stacy didn’t respond, she was still too angry to let him see her be weak. “I know you’re upset still and I want to give you time to figure out what you want but I did want to call and tell you that there will be a paternity test done next week.”

“You wouldn’t even need a paternity test if you didn’t sleep with her Adam,” She hated that it had come to this.

“Stacy, darling please believe me. I did not sleep with her! This woman is psychotic. She’s demanding money, she told Jerry that she would make this whole thing go away if I paid her $500,000! She’s clearly trying to black mail me!” Adam told her, hearing that made Stacy question the whole thing.

“So what are you going to do?” She asked.

“I’m not paying her a dime! That is not my fucking kid and I’m going to prove it, not only to you but the whole world.” Adam’s voice took on a tone of anger. “Stacy, I need you to believe me and I need you by my side through this. I would never do something like this to hurt you, I love you.”

“Adam, I can’t be around you right now. It hurts too much, I’m sorry.” She shook her head, she couldn’t go back home, not yet. “Every time I think of you or see your face, I picture you in bed with that hooker.”

“Can I at least see Evelyn? I miss her like crazy,” His voice was soft again, he sounded so broken.

“Yes, of course you can.” Stacy agreed. “I work tomorrow, would you like to take her for the day?”

“I’d love that,” Adam said quietly, the thought of seeing his baby girl made him feel a bit better.

“I can drop her off at 6:30 tomorrow morning on my way to work, alright?” She asked.

“Okay,” Adam nodded even though she couldn’t see him. “Thank you Stacy, this means a lot.”

“I’m doing it for her, she misses her Daddy.” Stacy was too proud to say she was doing it for him.

“Either way, I appreciate it.” He could tell the conversation was coming to a close. “I’ll see you in the morning, I love you.”

“Goodbye Adam,” It stung that she couldn’t say it back but he understood that she was too upset right now.
♠ ♠ ♠
I accidentally posted chapters 20 and 21 out of order so if you already read 21 and got confused I apologize! I hope you enjoyed both though! Keep the comments coming! :)