Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chapter 23

The next day was a difficult one for the small family. They woke up that morning to the sound of Adam’s alarm at 8 a.m. alerting them that they must get moving in order to make the appointment for the paternity test at 9:30 at a hospital across town. Adam was sure there would be tons of press there waiting to see if Stacy would be there supporting him.

He smiled slightly as he rolled over and slung his arm over her back, pulling her closer to his chest. He was glad that she had forgiven him and he was sure their lives would go back to normal in three days when the results were revealed. Adam would go in today and have the test done against the woman accusing him of having a one night stand and then in three days’ time they would find out that he was or was not the father. Adam could feel it in his gut that he was not the father, he just knew that there was no way that he could do that to Stacy.

“Good morning,” She mumbled against the pillow. She heaved a great sigh as she turned to face him.

“Good morning,” He brushed her hair back from her face and smiled at her.

“Although, I’m not sure just how good it is,” She smiled back weakly at him.

“I know, but in a few days this will all be over.” He assured her.

After a few minutes the alarm went off again, the 9 minute snooze coming to an end. Pulling themselves from the warm sheets, the couple began to get themselves ready for the day before heading out of the house and towards the hospital. Evelyn had stayed with Stacy’s parents the night before so she wouldn’t have to be exposed to the media and all of the chaos that would surround the paternity test.

Adam and Stacy arrived at the hospital and quickly walked through the mass amounts of media and paparazzi. Adam had kept his sunglasses on and kept a protective arm around Stacy who shielded her face with her hand as they moved about the crowd. Once they were inside the hospital they breathed a sigh of relief, it was easy to feel claustrophobic when they attack you like that.

As they reached the lower level where lab was Stacy spotted the girl that was supposedly pregnant with Adam’s baby and she felt her body stiffen. Adam must have noticed because he slipped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer, trying to calm her down.

When Stacy and Adam checked in they sat in the small waiting room on the opposite side of the room. Adam was not about to make small talk with her, but Stacy could tell out of the corner of her eye that the woman was watching them closely.

“Kari Anderson?” A woman with a white lab coat came out from the back and spoke loudly, glancing around the room for someone to stand up. Stacy watched as the hooker stood up, she was wearing a short mini skirt and a tube top, something so cliché Stacy thought. The woman looked over to the couple and then strutted towards the lab lady. They went into the back and Stacy let out another deep sigh.

Adam reached over and rubbed her thigh, “Only a few more days of this nonsense and then our lives can go back to normal.” He reminded her softly.

Stacy just nodded, hoping he was right.

“Mr. Levine?” A male came out of the back and called Adam’s name, waiting for him to stand.

Adam leaned over and kissed Stacy’s cheek, “I’ll be right back.”

Adam quickly went into the back and Stacy sat out in the waiting room, which was now completely empty. She was thankful that the media wasn’t allowed inside the hospital because she would find it much too stressful to be stuck in the waiting room with all of them.

She waited no longer than 10 minutes before Adam came out again, it didn’t talk nearly as long for him as it would for Kari to get what they needed for the paternity test.

Stacy stood up and walked towards Adam who was smiling, “Well now we are one step closer!”

Stacy nodded, still unable to smile at him. She just couldn’t get rid of this nagging feeling that something was going to go wrong, she was nervous for Friday to arrive when they would call with the results. She felt like she was a part of some awkward Maury Povich show just waiting for the gray haired gentleman to announce, “Adam……you ARE the father.” She shuddered at the thought and quickly shook her head, attempting to clear her thoughts.

“Ready babe?” Adam asked, holding out his hand for her.

She took it and followed him as they exited the hospital and quickly walked back through the mass amounts of people waiting outside just hoping Adam would stop to make a statement. They climbed into the Land Rover and went to pick up Evelyn before heading home for what would seem like the longest three days of their lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's only one chapter left after this! I've already started working on the sequel though so don't worry! ;) I hope you enjoyed this little chapter....your feedback is appreciated as always. Thanks for reading!!