Sequel: Playing for Keeps
Status: Updating

Almost Perfect

Chapter 24

When Friday came Stacy and Adam could tell that each one of them was on edge. Adam had to go into the studio that day for a while and Stacy was going to stay home with the baby. They were hoping that when Adam got home they would have a reason to celebrate, but neither of them wanted to admit that to the other. They quietly moved around one another as they got ready that morning. Stacy had made breakfast which they ate mostly in silence before Adam kissed her briefly before heading out the door.
Stacy sat there at the kitchen table, completely unsure of how to spend her day. She wanted the lab to call Adam and let him know the results right now but even if they did she would have to wait to hear from him. She wondered if she turned on the TV if one of the tacky tabloid shows would alert her of something sooner.

Stacy thought about it as she worked out on the treadmill that afternoon, she was flipping through the channels on their flat screen TV when she came to the TMZ show that was on every afternoon. She debated with herself for a moment before she put the remote down and listened to the mindless information that was spewing from the speakers. Evelyn was upstairs napping so she wanted to squeeze her workout in now.

Adam and the band were at the studio trying to lay down vocals for a few acoustic tracks.
The band seemed to be walking on egg shells around him, not sure what to say because they knew how delicate the situation was and how important the results of today was to Adam.

“Would you guys cut it out?” He laughed as he walked out of the sound booth.

“We just want to respect you man, we know how important today is.” Mickey spoke up first.

“I know, and I appreciate that but I seriously have a good feeling about this!” Adam tried to lighten the mood, “We don’t have to act like someone is dying here, we can be normal!”

“Alright, alright.” Matt said, not wanting to offend his friend. “Any idea when they’ll call?”

Adam shook his head, “Nope, they didn’t give me a time frame, just said that they would have the results Friday.”

All the guys nodded in response.

“Alright, let’s get back to work!” Jesse clapped his hands and stood from the couch. Adam was thankful that they had all shaken off the awkwardness.

He was just about to walk back into the sound booth when his phone started vibrating.

“Hello?” He answered; the number came up as “unknown”, immediately sending his heart into a frenzy.

“Mr. Levine?” They asked.

“Yes, this is he.” Adam looked at the guys and waved his hand so they would know to keep quiet.

“Mr. Levine, this is Dr. Omnison from the California Hospital Medical Center, we have the results of your paternity test and we’d like you to come down sometime today if possible.” The man on the other end said.

“Can’t you just give me the results over the phone?” Adam asked, he was anxious and he didn’t want to drive all the way there.

“I’m sorry sir, that’s not the way we like to do things here. We need to ensure that it’s actually you we are speaking with since this is such a high profile case.” The doctor spoke.

“Okay, I can be there around 3 p.m. if that works for you.” Adam knew the guys wouldn’t mind if he left shortly to get down there.

“That’s perfect, we will see you then.” After that the two men said their goodbyes and Adam turned to his friends.

He filled them in quickly before grabbing his keys and heading out the door.

Meanwhile, just as Stacy was stepping off the treadmill the TV made a loud beeping noise as an official voice stated, “Breaking news!”

She glanced up in time to see a TMZ reporter come on the screen with the scrolling headline “Breaking news in the Adam Levine Paternity case……”

Stacy quickly turned up the TV so she wouldn’t miss anything and stood there waiting to hear what they would have to say.

“We have breaking news in the case of Adam Levine and the paternity test that was taken earlier this week.” The reporter stated, “We have just gotten word that Kari Anderson, who has accused the Maroon 5 frontman of having a one night stand with her while in Las Vegas, has confirmed that after the results of the paternity test came back, Adam Levine IS the father of her baby.”

Stacy’s vision went blurry and she wasn’t sure she heard the television right. She hit the rewind button on their DVR and played it again, “Adam Levine IS the father of her baby.”

The program cut to a press conference where Kari Anderson stood at a podium and was announcing the news. “This afternoon I was able to get the results back of the paternity test that was taken on Tuesday, they have officially confirmed that Adam Levine is the father of my baby. I have yet to speak with Adam so I don’t know how he’s taking the news but I assure you that I am thrilled with this discovery. I hope that Adam and I can work something out and –“ Stacy shut the TV off, she couldn’t handle watching any more of this disturbing news.

At first she paced through the house, unsure of her next move. She felt like she was in a daze, she couldn’t even cry or scream. She was too much in shock. She wasn’t even sure if Adam knew yet, she couldn’t call him though. She didn’t want to speak with him, she felt like hating him. She trusted him, she went back to him after he swore up and down that he hadn’t slept with that woman!
Stacy was angry and she knew exactly what she had to do.

Adam quickly drove home after going down to the hospital. He couldn’t believe what the doctor had told him, after he confirmed that he was the father of the baby he stood up and stormed out. Something had to be wrong, they had to have screwed up the test or something! There was no way he slept with that crazy bitch and there was no way he was the father of this child. He pounded his fist on the steering wheel, what would he tell Stacy? He had to break the news to her gently, meticulously, in a way that he could get her to agree to stay. He was drugged that night; he wasn’t in his right mind! He would never cheat on her if he was! He thought of all the things he could say to her in order to smooth things over, he couldn’t live without her. She was the love of his life, Stacy and Evelyn were his whole world.

Adam could feel his heart racing as he pulled into the driveway, he didn’t even bother to open the garage and pull in. He just parked the car in the driveway and sprinted towards the front door, opening it and walking in.

When he entered the house he could tell something was different, he glanced around, confused at first.

“Stacy?” He called, walking into the kitchen. No one was there, “Stac?” He called again, heading towards the living room and then downstairs. He checked the workout room and their family room down there with still no sign of her.

He sprinted up the stairs and then up another flight of steps to the top level of the house, slowly walking into their bedroom. “Stacy?” He asked softly, hoping to find her there.

He looked around and it finally hit him, he finally realized what was different about the house. Stacy wasn’t there, neither was Evelyn, and all of their things were gone.

Adam stumbled as realization hit him. He sat down on the bed and looked around, her drawers were all half open and empty, her side of the walk in closet was wiped bare, and all of her hair care and make-up products were removed from the counter in the bathroom.

She had heard the news, she had found out from some other person that Adam had in fact cheated on her and this baby was his. She had to find out this horrible news from someone other than him, the thought of that crushed him.

She was gone, she was gone and she had taken everything she owned with her, she had taken their baby with her. Evelyn, his sweet baby girl was gone.

Adam dropped his head into his hands, his heart sinking into the pit of his stomach. His life as he knew it was over. He quickly pulled out his cell phone and tried to call her but it went straight to voicemail, she had turned her phone off. He assumed she was trying to escape the plethora of phone calls she was sure to be getting right now.

Adam threw his phone violently against the wall and sunk down onto the bed, his body felt weak and his heart was broken.

His life, his almost perfect life as he knew it………was over.

FIN.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm mentally dodging the rotten tomatoes and garbage you are all probably throwing at me right now because it wasn't a happy ending but that's why I told you there will be a sequel!!! I have a lot more in store for Stacy and Adam so I hope you stick around to read it! I'm already working on the first chapter of the sequel and hope to have it up by the weekend. Please let me know what you thought! Don't be too harsh ;)
Thanks for all the support and comments throughout this story! It's meant a lot to me and I can't wait to start posting the start of the new story! It's going to be called "Playing for Keeps" so be on the look out for that! Thanks everyone!