Somewhere Else

Chapter 1

In the lovely 1700's, in London, England, Mint Draygon ran down the stony pathway of her enormous mansion, her sister trailing behind her. They were having a race, you see, and Mint had obviously been winning, and doing it quite well. Besides, there is not much to think about when you are running. Just left, right, left, right, left, right (and maybe an occaisonal hop now and then, when you run into a loose stone.) Not only was the thinking part easy, but so was the speed part. Mint was the fastest in her family, and she was only seventeen. Her older brother Duke was outrageously lazy, not to mention how cruel and utterly dislikable he was. He was very much overweight, and Phoebe, who was fifteen, liked to call him a "fatty".

"Oh, Mint! Please go a little easier on me!" Shouted Phoebe, in a complaining tone.

"Don't be such a baby, Phoebe!" Mint called back, her long blond hair whipping in the wind.

The two sisters were out of breath by the time they got to the end of the pathway, and to the front door, and you must give them some grace, for if you were to run forty whole yards while racing your sister, you'd be quite out of breath as well. Mint, of course, had won the race and therefore deserved to congratulate herself (Phoebe would never be a good enough sport to do it herself).

"YAY! Woohoo!" Excla.imed Mint, "I believe this shows how completely wrong you were Phoebe. You are by far the worst racer I've ever raced!"

Now, although this remark was very rude, it felt good to Mint to put Phoebe in her place. The young, pretty girl was always jealous of her older sister. Phoebe swooped her long, red hair behind her back, and glared at Mint.

"Please don't be so rude, Minty! Just because I said I am a great racer, and you just won, doesn't mean I am the worst racer!"

Mint giggled. "But I never said you were the 'worst racer', I said you were the 'worst racer I've ever raced'. There's a huge difference. Because if you were the worst racer, then that little snail right there could most definitley beat you in a relay!"

Logic was Mint's best skill.

"That is so stupid of you to say, Mint! Stupid! Stupid! STUPID!"

Rudeness was Phoebe's best skill...

Duke opened the front door, and saw his two sisters standing on the doorstep.

"What is with you two?" He asked, "You act like seven year olds! Mother said no racing and look what you've done! You've been racing, and I can see it with my own two eyes!"

"With whose other eyes would you see it, Duke?" Asked Mint.

"No one's! Get back inside now, you foolish juveniles!"

Not knowing what Duke's words had really meant, Phoebe stepped forward.

"Duke, you are not in charge! Why do you always boss us about, if we still have two perfectly good parents?"

Duke snorted in disgust, "Because mother put me in charge. She is sick and cannot be following you two fools around all the time anymore. Father is out working, and he trusts me just as much as he hates you."

"So he doesn't trust you at all?" Inquired Mint.

"He trusts me very much. And he hates you very much. That is why he is only strict towards you! Don't you get it? He very much dislikes you two, and I can see why." Duke rolled his eyes and went back inside.

Mint and Phoebe entered the enormous mansion, which they were pretty much used to by now. They had moved into the house when they were five and seven years of age. At the time, the house had seemed magnificent, and wonderful in all ways possible. But now that time had passed by, it was just as ordinary as the clouds in the sky (which, if you really think about it, clouds are very interesting, and qutie beautiful).

They walked into their large bedroom, and shut the door behind them. Boredom had eventually got the best of them, for three hours had passed, and the only thing the two girls did was lie on their beds, reading literature.

"I'm bored..." Phoebe finally said.

"Not as much as I am." Mint replied, "I want to do something exciting. Something grand! Something magnificent!"

"Quit your dreaming, Mint. Nothing exciting ever happens here. Ever!"

Mint could not stop dreaming, however, for as long as she could remember, she had this memory in her head that would not go away. A memory of a boy, with a hat, and a happy smile on his face. She had met him in a forest, or a wood of some kind, but she could not quite picture the exact scenario. She also had pictured a 90 foot tall woman, with a long white dress, and she was always very delighted to see her. Not only those things, but she seemed to have the image of a long line of dark green bushes, with exotic fruits, berries, and flowers on them. Everytime she asked Phoebe if this memory was true, her sister replied,

"It was just a dream, Mint. I would have been there, because I am always with you. I would know, too."

But Mint never believed this. She knew deep down inside that that very place indeed existed.