Somewhere Else

Chapter 13

"Alright, well, we'd best be getting back on our way to Mañana." Hjalti said.

Mint and Phoebe climbed up onto Hjalti's back, and they were off again. Riding through the hills, past the trees, under branches, over logs, swimming through rivers, and jumping on stones, they eventually ran into a huge wall. It was made of large white bricks.

"It must be a barrier of some kind." Said Hjalti, "Someone is trying to keep people away from Mañana."

"Perhaps its Mañana who wishes you to stay away from Mañana..." said a familiar voice.

They all looked over and saw The Cluemaker leaning against the wall.

"I saw the lovely lady asking some builders to build this wall as fast as they possibly could."

Mint hopped off Hjalti's back,

"Why would she do that?" She asked.

"I'm not quite sure, love. But I'm guessing it was out of fear. She might've heard about a very large wolf coming to her house." The Cluemaker glanced over at Hjalti.

"Well, Cluemaker!" Shouted Phoebe, trying to be noticed. "Maybe Hjalti can leave, and you can help us the rest of the way."

The Cluemaker did not seem to hear her,

"Hjalti, don't you realize how incredibly horrifying you look? Maybe you should not pursue the home of a fragile woman without first informing her." He said.

Hjalti chuckled,

"Oh, you're funny, but also very right! I should have told Mañana before I started chasing her house down." He laughed and laughed.

"Cluemaker?" Said Mint.

"Yes, Beau'iful?" He replied.

"Could you lead our way, and Hjalti may go rest at his home?"

"Anything for you, love." The Cluemaker said charmingly.

"But--but-!!" Phoebe cried, "I already made that suggestion! How come you didn't hear me when I said it?"

The Cluemaker looked over at Phoebe,

"I'm terribly sorry, dear. Maybe you just weren't loud enough..." He apologized.

Phoebe's face turned red. Not from anger, she was blushing. Did he just call me "dear"? She asked herself in her head. She sighed happily. The Cluemaker looked a bit disturbed, and turned away from Phoebe to look at Mint.

"I shall stay with the two of you for a while, and help you with my trusty old clues, ok?" He said

"Alright! Sounds great." Mint smiled.

"I'd best be on my way then." Hjalti said, "Thanks for the adventure, ladies. I am very excited to get back home and rest."

And he left, looking quite relieved.