Somewhere Else

Chapter 5

"I'm Anne!" Said the giant woman (or should I say said Anne?).

"It's a pl-pl-pp-pleasure to m-m-m-meet you, m-m-m-ma'am." Said Mint, trying to stay calm. She kept her voice as soft and gentle as that of the flapping wings of a butterfly. It seemed to work, for the giant was not perturbed.

"What is your name?" Anne pleasantly inquiered.

"M-m-m-m-Mint Draygon. And this is my s-s-s-sister Phoebe." She answered.

Phoebe waved. Anne's jaw dropped, and she stared at the two sisters in shock. Or perhaps she was appalled rather than shocked. Surprised, maybe? Well, it does not really matter, because all those words mean the same thing.

"Did you say 'Draygon'?" Asked Anne.

"Yes." Mint answered, feeling less alarmed now that the giant woman seemed shocked. "What is so significant about Draygon, if you don't mind my asking?"

"You don't know?" Anne seemed a bit amused. "You should know how significant you both are. You're regal! You're royalty...your majesty."

Mint shook her head, "I belive you're a bit befuddled. You see, we're not but ordinary girls. Maybe you're confused because we are so wealthy."

Anne disagreed, "No, I know that name. You are the daughter of Pintz Draygon, queen of Somewhere Else."

"Queen of where?"

"Somewhere Else."

"Somewhere else? What exactly do you mean. You're being a bit vague."

"Okay. I'll rephrase it. Just past that cherry blossom tree is the land of Somewhere Else. That is the name of the place, Somewhere Else. And don't ever forget it." Anne smiled, "Understand?"

"So, if I were to go passed that cherry blossom tree, I'd be in 'Somewhere Else'?" Mint asked.

"Certainly. Well--only if you believe you will be. The people who don't believe in Somewhere Else, cannot go into Somewhere Else." Anne glanced at Phoebe, who had the look of a one year old trying to comprehend the word "No."

"So," Said Phoebe, who had gathered up her courage, "Can we go into Somewhere Else?"

"Of course! You are the princesses and we need you!" Anne replied.

"Why do you need us? Aren't things much better without princesses?" Asked Phoebe.

"Not in our case. You see, you're the only ones who can defeat the evil queen who has taken over. Her name is Nuit (pr.onounced Nwee, its French for night.)

"Oh no, no, no, no, no!" Cried Phoebe, "I'm terribly sorry, but I'm afraid we must be on our way."

"You can't leave now! We've been waiting for you forever!" Said Anne in desperation, "We need you!"

Mint and Phoebe exchanged looks. Phoebe beckoned for Mint to follow her, and they walked behind a large tree. After realizing that no tree could possibly hide them from such a large being, Phoebe guided Mint through a series of bushes, and they snuck inside them. The leaves were surely hiding them, but it was unneccesary to be hiding. Phoebe was quite good at the unneccesary.

"Mint," Phoebe remarked, "We cannot stay here. We only wanted to camp for one day, mind you! ONE! We mustn't stay here any longer. Besides, I have flute practice..."

"You musn't be so selfish. Anne said that Somewhere Else needs us. Think of all the people who are suffering, and we don't even know from what! The evil queen Nuit could be trapping them in cages with giant cats for all we know. You wouldn't wish that on anyone, now would you?"

Phoebe paused. As she thought about it, the message began to sink in. There were real people out there that needed her help, and she and Mint were their only hope of survival. Now she only had one question to ask,

"Anne? What has Nuit done?"