Broken

Sent Away

I came home at three in the morning accompanied by two royal jerks who call themselves cops. Yeah. Whatever. My mom opens up the door and her eyes land on me standing between the two idiots, hands cuffed behind my back.

She sighs. "What did she do this time?"

"Your daughter 'Liv' here was caught vandalizing the school. Again. Spray paint. She also smashed a few windows."

"Was Derek with her?"

"Yes ma'am. We just dropped him off at his home." God give me a break. Ma'am. Who says that anymore? "This is the last straw for the school. She's been expelled."

"Lovely." She doesn't even look at me. "Sorry for the inconvenience officers."

They un-cuff me and I glare at them as I storm into my house. I slam the door then collapse against it, rubbing my wrists gently. Those don't ever get any more comfortable to wear. I follow my mom into the kitchen and watch as she pours herself a glass of red wine.

"I'm really sorry mom, it won't happen again." That must've been the eighth time I've said that to her.

"You're right Olivia. It won't. You're moving. And you won't have that infernal cell phone either."

"What do you mean 'I'm moving'?"

"Exactly that. You're moving. Your father and I are not. We've discussed this. We decided one more screw up, one more arrest, and that was it. We're sending you away."

"Away! Away where?"

"Remember your old nanny? Alison? Well she lives in California and owns her own vineyard. She's agreed to take you in as an alternative to juvinille detention center."

"California? A vineyard? Mom I'm fine. I swear this was the last time."

She took another sip of her wine. "You and I both know it isn't. I'm tired of the lies and the sneaking out. I'm tired of waking up at three in the morning and apologizing to the police for your behavior. I'm tired of being judged by all our friend because YOU'RE the screw up. I can't handle this anymore, Olivia. Pack your bags. Now. Johnson will escort you to Alison's vineyard as soon as you finish. No phone, no iPod, no spray paint, no knives, no pictures. Nothing. We'll be going through your luggage before you leave."

Tears stung my eyes. She acted like she didn't even care! Like I was nothing to her! How could she do this to me? "Mom, I promise it won't happen again. Just-just give me a chance to prove myself and I will! I swear it!"

"Olivia. This IS your chance. This is your chance to remain my daughter. If nothing changes, I'll refuse to acknowledge that I ever had a daughter."