Picturesque

1/1

“Klaus, I’m sure she’ll show. Don’t worry.” Rebekah said, reassuring her older brother. He simply nodded, flashing her a smile as they made their way downstairs to the party that was in full swing. Klaus got many compliments from the guests, at how great his party was, but he only smiled. He made his way over to a small table, leaning against it as he took a sip of his drink he collected from one of the waiters. He scanned the crowd for a familiar face, and frowned when he couldn’t find the person he was looking for. He finished off his drink, setting the cup gently down in the center of the table. He scanned the room once more, his eyes landing on the person whom he was afraid wouldn’t show. Their eyes met, and she grinned eagerly as they made their way to each other.

“Caroline, you came.” He said shocked. Caroline stood before him, wearing a blue dress that was littered with sparkling gems. Her blonde hair was pulled back, with the exception of a few curly strands, which fell perfectly at the side of her face. She smiled, stepping closer to Klaus.

“Did you doubt I would?” She asked, tilting her head to the side just slightly. Klaus nodded, and then smiled.

“Care to dance?” He asked, offering his hand. Caroline nodded, taking a hold of his hand and following him to the dance floor. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and smiled as she felt his arms slide tightly around her lower back. They swayed to the music, as the sound echoed in their ears. “I’m glad you came.” Klaus whispered, as the music transitioned to another soft song. Caroline buried her face into Klaus’s shoulder as she sighed happily.

“Me too.” She simply said. As the song finished, Klaus stepped back, untangling himself from Caroline.

“Come with me.” He said, grabbing her hand and leading her to the door. She held on tightly, following him with no question. They walked down the quiet street, their fingers still intertwined. The only light was coming from the moon.

“Why did you invite me, tonight?” Caroline asked, out of the blue. Klaus shrugged.

“Because I fancy you, of course.” He said, smiling. Caroline smiled as well, looking down as she walked.

“Oh.” She said. Klaus held tighter to her hand, pulling her closer to him. They had stopped a few minutes before, and now Klaus stood in front of her.

“Do you fancy me, Caroline?” He asked, lifting her head so that he could meet her eyes. She looked up for a minute before her eyes dropped to his lips, and then down to his bow tie. She smiled, lifting her hands to readjust it. “Caroline, do you?” He asked. She looked up into his eyes again, nodding slowly.

“Yes, of course, but Klaus.. I’m with Tyler.” She said, making Klaus straighten up and a frown overtake his face.

“Well than why did you accept my invitation?” He asked angrily, taking a step back. Caroline frowned, reaching out for Klaus’s hand. He shoved them in his pockets, keeping his eyes on the ground.

“I couldn’t refuse it. That would have been rude.” Caroline said, crossing her arms. Klaus shook his head.

“Yes you could have, Caroline. You reject me all the time.” He said, his voice quieter but still harsh.

“I-I didn’t want to.” She said, shivering, finally aware of how cold it actually was. Klaus saw this, so he pulled off his jacket and draped it over her shoulders. At first she resisted, but when she was that Klaus was persistent, she gave in letting the warmth consume her.

“Why not?” Klaus asked with a pleading tone.

“Because, Klaus, I wanted to be with you. When I’m with you, I’m happy, and I feel like I can truly be myself. I feel safe, and secure. It’s different when I’m with Tyler. I don’t feel those things, and I like them. I like feeling them.” She said, taking a breath. “I love Tyler, I do, but I can’t be around him without feeling trapped, and I don’t want to hurt him.” Caroline finished, tears apparent in her eyes. Klaus stepped forward, wrapping her into a tight embrace. He kissed the top of her head, letting his lips linger. “I don’t know what to do.” She added, shakily, pulling her arms out from between them, and wrapping them around Klaus’s middle.

“Do what you feel is right for you. What will make you the happiest.” Klaus said, closing his eyes. Caroline didn’t respond, and he so badly wished he knew what was going on inside her head at this moment. He felt her nod.

“You’re right, Klaus. I need to do what makes me happy.” She said, taking a step back. “What’s best for me, and what will help me rather than hold me back.” Klaus nodded, feeling the space that was warm with Caroline’s body heat begin to get cold. He smiled down at Caroline, who smiled back at him. It was a sad smile, but a smile all the same. Klaus stood quietly, unsure of what to say.

“Caroline..” He started to say, but trailed off. He couldn’t say it. Not now, not in this situation. Caroline looked up at him, relief filling her face.

“I need to talk to Tyler.” She said, a smile forming. Klaus frowned, and looked down at the ground. He knew this was going to happen. “I need to talk to Tyler, and tell him he’s suffocating me, and I can’t do it anymore.” Klaus’s head shot up, just in time to close the few steps between them, their lips crashing together passionately. The heart ache and fear that Klaus had just felt washed away, as his lips moved with Caroline’s. He held onto the back of her dress tightly with one hand, the other wrapped in her hair. He didn’t want to let go, in fear that he would lose her just as fast as he had got her. They broke apart for just one moment, smiles filling both of their faces.

“I love you, Caroline.” Klaus finally said.

“I love you too, Klaus. I always have, and I’m sorry it took so long for me to realize that.” She whispered, pressing their lips together again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so this is my entry for a contest. It's not my best, but I'm content with it. What do you guys think about it? [: