Without The Bitter The Sweet Isn't As Sweet

One Shot

Jack sat quietly on the bench alone as he admired the older boy from afar. Alex was with a group of friends. They laughed and joked around, occasionally roughing each other up. At times, Alex glanced up and smiled at Jack. He could feel his cheeks burn red from being caught at staring as his heart beat erratically in his chest.
He continued to longingly gaze at the boy and he sighed, he wanted to be with Alex and just feel him in his arms.

The thing was, Jack loved Alex for quite a while now, but he didn’t know how to express that. The other boy was just so gorgeous with his perfectly styled brown locks and honest eyes. Jack smiled stupidly with the thought of the other boy's crooked grin but then wondered how the hell he'd ever ended up with Alex. Jack was just so average compared to Alex, he was perfect. Jack was just a shy, lanky, punkish looking kid who never really thought much of himself.

Jack was busy daydreaming when he was startled from his thoughts. He felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist as they held him tightly.

"Hey Jacky," Alex murmured against Jack's neck. He peppered light kisses on his jaw and neck. Jack squirmed in his grip and hummed under his breath.
"Hi Lex," Jack responded as he relaxed, feeling content with just being in Alex’s arms. The older boy nuzzled his face into Jack’s neck and lightly nipped at the skin. Jack jumped in surprise, he turned around as Alex tugged him forward, their faces a couple inches apart.

"I missed you," Alex said and lightly nudged his nose against Jacks. His face instantly lit up, his eyes twinkled more as his lips turned up in a smile. Alex smiled in return. "You're fucking adorable Jack," Alex gushed while Jack looked down, a big grin on his face as his cheeks burned red.
"Shut up," Jack whined with a slight pout, "I'm not adorable." Jack moved away from the other boy, his arms crossed in front of his chest as he jokingly glared at the other boy.

Alex cooed and leaned in to softly press his lips against Jacks.
Jack simply huffed and continued to glare at the older boy. His nose crinkled up with distaste, his lips jutted out in a bigger pout.

Alex chuckled and wrapped his arms around the pouting boy and pulled him close to his chest.
Alex would never admit it but he loved the way Jack would pout, his nose would crinkle up when he was mad. Jack just looked so fucking cute, Alex just wanted to scoop him up and kiss him till he saw Jack's gorgeous smile that made his heart squeeze and beat faster.
He leaned in to kiss Jack when suddenly the boy moved away and grabbed the beanie off his head. Alex's hands shot up to cover his head but it was too late. Jack stood a couple of feet away, a smirk prominent on his face as he waved the beanie in front as a taunting gift.

Alex groaned and rolled his eyes fondly.
Here we go again, he thought.

You see, this was a common occurrence between the boys. It all started when Jack first saw Alex. He was breathtaking with his tight black jeans, a hoodie and of course a beanie. Jack swore he fell in love with him that instant no matter how cliché it was. Jack quickly took an interest to the boy and soon noticed that Alex wore a beanie almost every day.
The beanie soon became important to Jack; so many memories were associated with it like silly “fights” and cute playful moments. The first time they kissed, was when Jack had stolen the beanie and ran off with it.
Jack treasured those times when he’d have the beanie with him; he’d wear it around and fall asleep with the scent of Alex around him, he felt safe as if Alex was with him. The beanie was almost like a piece of Alex, something important that the older boy always had with him. Even though neither boy had confessed their love for each other, the beanie was a close second to Jack.

"C’mon, give it back Jack," Alex whined while he pouted, giving Jack a pleading look.
Jack simply shook his head, a mischievous grin on his face.

"Nope," he responded with a wink as he slowly moved backward and quickly placed the beanie on his head.

"Come here you fucker!"

Alex immediately sprung forward, arms reached out for the beanie. Jack squealed and ran as fast as he could away from Alex. The boys ran around the area, their laughs rang through the air.
Jack continued running, his breath came out in pants as he got tired. He slowed down when a body crashed into him as he lost his footing and stumbled towards the ground. Alex quickly wrapped his arms tightly around the younger boy and spun him around. Jack laughed as he held onto the beanie to prevent it from falling. Alex propped him back on the ground and faced Jack.

"Gotcha," Alex declared with a proud grin.

Jack smiled and reached to take the beanie off when Alex stopped him.
"It looks better on you,” Alex said.

Jack's heart almost stopped there, and he looked into Alex’s eyes, the smile on his face bigger.
He slowly leaned in and pressed his lips against Alex’s. His arms snaked around his neck pulling him closer while Alex's arms wrapped tightly around him. He lightly nipped at Alex's bottom lip. Alex opened his mouth, granting entrance and slowly slipped his tongue in, exploring the other's mouth. He sighed into the kiss feeling the warmth spread through his body, as their tongues lazily fought for dominance.
They pulled apart when they needed air, their lips swollen and wet. Jack leaned his forehead against Alex and lightly pecked his lips.

"So," Alex started, "you going to run away from me again?" Alex smirked at Jack; the younger boy immediately blushed. Alex's heart started beating faster; the boy was just so fucking cute. His hands reached out to cup Jack's face. His thumbs lightly stroked the younger boy’s cheeks as Jack’s breath hitched in his throat. Alex leaned in slowly and whispered, lips almost touching, “I lov-“

"ALEX!" A voice screamed in the distance.

Both boys quickly turned their heads, the moment instantly shattered. Alex hastily dropped his hand and took a step away from Jack.
Jack shrunk away feeling disappointed and confused. Was Alex about to say I love you?

He watched as a pretty blonde ran forward and jumped in Alex’s arms; She squealed as he spun her around, very similar to the way he spun Jack. The younger boy bit the inside of his cheek, hating the sight of them together when she leaned in and kissed Alex.
Jack grimaced; his heart ached and stomach twisted with anxiety. It hurt so much to see the boy he loved kiss someone else even though it was his supposed girlfriend. Jack sighed and stared at the ground, his fingers fiddled with his jacket sleeves. He felt awkward to be around them because he was single handedly helping Alex cheat on her. He felt bad but he just couldn’t leave the older boy, he meant too much. Alex was his best friend and lover; he wouldn’t give him up even it meant ruining a relationship and sharing the older boy.
He still couldn’t help but feel jealous watching them kiss and giggle because he knew he could never have that. Jack loved Alex with everything in him but sometimes it just wasn’t enough.

"Jack, I'm going with Lisa now." Alex announced, startling Jack from his thoughts.
He looked up at Alex, and slowly nodded. "Bye... Have fun." Jack mumbled feeling dejected.

Alex quickly shot Jack an apologetic look but Jack refused to look him in the eye. The older boy opened his mouth to say something but quickly closed it and wrapped his arm around Lisa, both boys feeling disappointed and hurt.
Jack watched as they walked away, happily talking. He sighed, the moments of happiness he felt earlier long gone.
He reached up to fix his bangs and was slightly shocked to find Alex’s beanie still on his head. He pulled it off and held it tight in his hands. Jack might not have Alex with him right now but he still had a small part of the boy with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello gorgeous reader! I hope you enjoyed my first oneshot. It's been on my livejournal for a while but it's my first time posting on here. I hope you enjoyed it. I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors; I wrote this a while ago and I didn't really want to re edit it. Please comment and tell me what you think! :)