Status: On hiatus

Demons and Spiders

4

After showing Clint his room, Natasha was able to escape back to her room by telling him she wanted to clean up before dinner. She was sure he could see through the excuse but lucky for her, he didn't say a thing.

She made it back and laid down on her soft down bedding. She could hear Jane softy snoring on the porch and wished could achieve that level of ease. Sleep wasn't one of her many talents. She never felt safe enough to fall completely asleep and if she actually was able to slip into some semblance of sleep, images of her past floated through her mind.

There was a knock on the door and Natasha sat up to find Thor's mother standing in the doorway, with an armful of silk.

"Queen Frigga," Natasha bowed her head. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I noticed you and Jane's state of undress earlier, I thought I'd bring you some more appropriate clothing for dinner," The woman smiled. Natasha looked down at her leather jumpsuit, if the people of Asgard hadn't noticed her odd attire earlier, it was sure to be noticed at dinner.

"I appreciate it," Natasha smiled, she wasn't thrilled about wearing the odd outfits the women of Asgard did.

The queen laid a dark green dress out on her bed, "I thought this one would look great with your auburn hair and your green eyes, you like green right?"

"I usually wear black but this will suffice, thank you it looks beautiful."

Jane walked back into the room stretching her arms over her head, a giant yawn skewed her face, "Best nap ever."

Jane was wearing a beat up old t-shit and jeans and with her arms over her head her stomach was completely exposed. Jane caught a glimpse of the queen and turned subtly red, "Uhh hello."

The queen laughed lightly, "Hello Jane, I stopped by to bring you two clothing for dinner and then I will escort you there."

She laid a pale golden dress on Jane's bed, "Do you like it?"

"To be honest, I don't think I've ever worn a dress, how in the world do I put this thing on?" Jane stared at the dress on her bed like it was the scariest thing she'd ever seen.

The three woman and Clint walked down the grand staircase, Frigga was leading them to dinner.

Clint was wearing some odd purple and black suit, Natasha figured Frigga must have stopped off to his room first.

The queen was wearing a brilliant silver gown, embroidered with gem stones. Her hair was as blonde as Thor's but eight times as long, curled into some ornate style that still managed to reach her waist.

Jane gave Natasha an irritated frown, the physicist was not enjoying playing dress up.

She looked just as thrilled as Clint had when he'd shown up at their door earlier muttering things about eggplants and 80's hair metal bands.

Natasha though knew how to play the part of some rich socialite, Fury had sent her on enough missions like this one. She wore her dress just as confidently as she wore her leather catsuit. Comfort was another matter though.

Another woman, with dark hair and blue eyes, approached them at the bottom of the stairs, she wore a dark red dress.

"Lady Sif, how nice of you to greet us, I take it Thor invited you and the Warriors Three to dinner?" Queen Frigga asked.

"Aye, my queen," Lady Sif turned to Jane. "I only met you briefly before but it is nice to make your acquaintance officially, I am Lady Sif."

Jane smiled and stuck her hand out to shake it with Lady Sif's, "Same here, I'm Jane Foster."

Lady Sif and Queen Frigga stared at Jane's hand oddly.

"I know who you are," Lady Sif looked down at Jane, the goddess was nearly a foot taller than Jane and Natasha. Natasha had a feeling Lady Sif didn't like Jane.

Jane pulled her hand back and looked back at Clint and Natasha, "I guess they don't shake hands here."

Clint shrugged.

"Well let's carry on, I'm sure they are all waiting for us," Frigga coughed lightly, trying to ease the tension. They walked through a doorway and came into a gigantic golden room. The room was dimly lit and only one gigantic cherry wood table sat in the center of it that was covered in the best smelling food Natasha had ever seen.

Odin, Thor, Loki and who Natasha assumed were the Warriors Three stood as the women entered the room.

Queen Frigga walked over to the head of the table where her husband stood, he pulled out the chair to the right of him for her to sit in.

"Jane! Sit next to me!" Thor pulled out the chair next to him, he was sitting to his father's left.

Loki smiled at Natasha and Clint. He walked over to the pair and leaned in close to Natasha. Natasha could feel Clint tense behind her, desperately trying to keep himself from attacking the god. Natasha subtly reached back and squeezed his shaking arm.

Natasha held her breath.

"For a creature of darkness you sure do look amazing in green," Loki stepped back and smiled at her, meeting her eyes.

Natasha quirked an eyebrow and crossed her arms, "Far better than you for sure."

Odin gave an irritable sigh, "The food will be cold and rotten by the time their banter is over, can we please eat?"

"Yes Loki dear," Frigga gave her son a sweet smile, "Sit next to me."

Loki physically recoiled back and didn't try to hide it. Natasha added mother issues to her mental checklist of Loki's idiosyncrasies.

He pulled out the chair next to Frigga and gestured for Natasha to sit, "Why don't you sit next to the queen? That way you're closer to Odin and can discuss relations with Midgard."

Natasha gave Clint an apologetic look, Clint looked livid. She took her seat next to Frigga and Loki immediately took the one to her right.

He looked up at Clint, "You heard the Allfather, it's time to sit down."

"I don't take orders from you, Monster," Clint grit his teeth.

Natasha coughed, "Why don't you sit next to Jane, Clint?"

Once Clint sat down, Thor's friends finally chose seats, picking the four seats as far from Loki as possible.

Dinner passed with a horrific slowness.

Odin didn't want to discuss political matters at the dinner table and Frigga spent most of her time talking to Thor and Jane.

The food was delicious and the portion sizes were gigantic but because of the genetic modifications to her body, she was never that hungry. So she moved her food around her plate with her fork, attempting and failing at looking busy.

Being directly across from Clint, Loki was having a great time torturing her partner. Giving him looks, grinning at him and other things.

As soon as the last plates had been taken away and Odin politely excused them with promises of speaking about S.H.I.E.L.D. the next day, Natasha managed to get Clint back to his room without another mental breakdown.

As soon as the giant oak doors of his suite slammed shut Clint lept onto his bed, "Did you see how he taunted me Nat? How can they be so blind?"

"I know, I know, keep calm, you losing it is exactly what he wants Clint," Natasha sighed, "Let me handle this, I'll follow him while we're here and see what he's up to."