Sequel: The Darkness Inside
Status: Mike PoV (mainly) Slash Fic (Complete)

A Different Kind of Love

Sam's Mental

Well it happened, apparently their mom had herd snippets of Sams' conversation here and there about vampires, but had been ignoring it, a kid thing, he'll grow out of it, that was up until Their mom had walked in on Sams' phone conversation to do with him. One can guess what the conversation was about when the freaks on the other end of the line where none other than Santa Carlas' wannabe hunters, the Frog brothers. The we're not staking Mike was what did it. Mom could ignore the thing about vampires, pass off what happened with Max and the garlic in the food, but when Sam started thinking his brother was a vampire and talking about not staking him with those little freaks, well off to the mental ward for Sam.

" You're going to have to tell her, prove it, I don't want to be locked up in a straight jacket, that therapist hates me!" Sam was reaching all time high in whiny pitched voice. " You know what they do in those places? They cut out part of your brain so you will be a harmless drooling idiot. I know that hag's going to say I need to be locked up and have my brain cut out!"

" Lobotomy... Not good..." Milferd happened to be over and sipping noisily on the straw of a juice pack. " I had therapy... Mom wanted to get rid my imaginary friend... Turned out... Wasn't imaginary, they, Billo... Had started throwing things and doing... The whole Entity thing... That was scary... Weird things happen in Santa Carla." Milferd then gives him a pointed look and returns to his noisy juice sipping. " My great... Great... Grandpa... Was a werewolf." And that was random.

" Werewolf? Really? Hey my grandpa might be an alien, he said he was when I asked him." Sam almost will believe anything. " But that doesn't solve me getting out of seeing this head quack and being forced to take multicolor pills that will make me stupid, I don't have any muscle, I can't be stupid like Mike."Swat to the back of the head." Owe, child abuser!"

" Twerp, don't make me gag you again." He allowed Sam his little pop shot snarks, they where done in humor, but it didn't stop him from slapping Sam for the crude little remarks. Sometimes he thinks Sam only says them because Sam knows he'd not really hurt him. Aside the whole kill crazy hunger for human blood part, which he makes sure to keep fed so that doesn't become a problem.

" What you need is Ms. Emerson... To get a dose of reality, Santa Carla style... She won't think your crazy no more... My mom says... Santa Carla is cursed... Or something... She believes the stories, so does dad... Since Billo.. Did his thing... Can take Ms. Emerson to an old burial ground... Spend the night, she'll believe in supernatural stuff... If she doesn't get possessed."

" Oh hell no, I read Pet Symetary, no way is mom going to spend the night anywhere near anything like that. No Freaking way." Yes he reads, when he had no where to go and it was raining. Unlike Sam he didn't mind anything horror, except damned Pet Symetary, it actually was one of the few things that had actually gave him nightmares. Read that thing and then say it doesn't freak you out.

" Wait that, that horror book you told me about, saying animals and people come back from the dead as demon possessed corpses to kill you with knives and eat you?" Sam then grabs a pillow and starts hitting him with it." Ass hole, now I'm going to have nightmares because of you!" He had been pretty descriptive telling it to Sam and even read the gruesome scenes in it where the little boy is brought back from the dead and starts cutting up family and friends. Also didn't help that he said he was going to bury Nanook in that cemetery when Nanook dies.

" Your friend's the one talking about going to one of those places, not me!" Sam still hit him with the pillow, very ineffective, but still made a point.

" Yea and now I'm going to be thinking about that book and about that stuff is real and could really happen Sucker face!" Sam looked at Milferd and calmly said." We aren't going anywhere near cursed evil demon burial grounds and not with my mom. Sides I don't think I'd be able to get her to spend the nigh." Swat." owe! What was that for?" Sam rubs the back of his head.

Milferd snickers." OK... No burial ground, but then leaves him to just show her the truth... All you have left... Or it's shrink... And pills... "

" Because your were actually thinking about trying to get mom to go to it dork." Sam could be insane sometimes, maybe he dose need a therapist.

" Well, I'd have the Frogs there, they are paranormal experts, nothing would happen, but mom wouldn't stay the night anyway." Sam puts to much stock into the Frogs knowing anything.

" Yea right, sure they know." He rolled his eyes showing how much he believed in the Frogs along with the sarcasm in his voice." And I don't want to show my mom anything, she'd just have a heart attack or something if I did. " he hadn't shifted in front of Sam and Sam knew he'd not feel comfortable doing it in front of his mom. And likely he'd have a very hard time shifting back to looking human as it was highly likely that his moms reaction would stress him enough that he wouldn't be able to concentrate on changing back. Interesting fact, shifting to the vampires face was easy and actually if emotions are high, can be involuntary... Shifting back required concentration and he was far from good at concentrating when stressed or upset.

Sam starts digging threw his comic "survival" guides. He pulls out The destroy All vampires one, which was now well worn and a few others, demons, werewolves and ghouls. Really where did those Frog kids get this stuff. " Might find something about ghosts, or something supernatural, but less horrifying than Mike showing off pointed teeth." Sam then sticks his tongue out at him.

" Ha, ha, more than just a little fang or I'd not care as much and then there's the whole she's not going to like finding out surprise, your son sucks blood for a living and quit his day job, but that's OK right?" He stared at Sam, Sam just shrugged.

" Well got better ideas? I'm not going to be taking no pills or get locked in a straight jacket." Sam was likely over reacting, therapy couldn't be that bad.

" Uh, here comes mom." He could hear her walking up the stairs and she was likely to look in on them.

" Shit!" Sam started grabbing for the horror comics, snatching one out of Milferds' hands that had to do with werewolves. Sam got all the comics together and shoved into a box and then hid them under his bed just in time as their mom walked in. " Hey! Mom." Sam sounding suspiciously too excited to see her.

Their mom just looked between them." Nice to see you getting along and that your spending time with Sam, Michael..." Mom then smiles at Milferd." Well I'll leave you boys to your fun, just don't be up to late." She then looked at him." Make sure to lock the door on your way out, one of the neighbors said someone's been going and messing around with his sheep at night, nothing stolen, but there was boot prints in the dirt around the barn and don't want to take chances." She then disappeared leaving them alone.

Sam was sort of looking off at a wall, looking a little red.. Oh god he didn't.. " Oh damnit Sam." He was making a face now, his mind over working at the information it was putting together and the image he was getting was another one of Sam he wished to burn from his memory for all time. " Stick to the house, or you will end up getting shot."

" What... What's going on?" The kid looks at Sam and then him." You go."

"Sleep walking!" Sam blurted out, cutting off Milferds question." I walk in my sleep sometimes, I don't remember what I do, just sometimes I wake with my shoes on. I'll try to not sleep walk into the neighbors yard now." Sam looks at the floor embarrassed."

**** Month Latter ****

Sam had managed to talk him into revealing the truth, especially when he told him about the shrinks questioning Sam if his brother ever touched him inappropriately. Some how the your brother is a vampire can equal to suppressing the fact your brother molested you or is currently molesting you and imagining such person as some kind of monster to deal with such a traumatic thing is a way to cope. Your brothers a monster and can't help the things he does. Shit he'd rather his mom know the truth than her to be thinking he molested Sam, yuck. He wasn't into kids, more so his brother. Even as screwed up as his morals where now, he couldn't see himself ever touching a kid in that way.

Milferd was here, the kid wouldn't miss seeing a vampire shift for the world. " So... When she gets here... You going to just shift and show her?" The kid was looking at him eagerly. Damn Sam had the weirdest friends, no normal geek friends like in Phoenix. Santa Carla, strange didn't cover it and if you where a resident human that grew up in this town, likely you was weird and like their grandpa, didn't like strangers, or company or people and had weird hobbies. And if you where an adult that knew better, you didn't go to town, mainly the boardwalk, especially the boardwalk at night.

" Um no, I'd rather not scare her right off, though trying to tell her calmly about it might not be affective, or that she'd believe it, it will at least have her some what ready... And maybe not freak out. To much." He slips head phones on and clicks the tape on. He still was carrying around the Walkman." What? I want to at least have some time to relax before the shit hits the fan." Hopefully their mom won't be to worried about him in Sams' room, well with Milferd here anyway. Last weekend he was talking to Sam alone, his mom was checking on them more than was usual.

Their mom obviously didn't want to believe what she was told, but it's a damn shrink, they're supposed to know something right? But coarse he'd never do that to Sam and of coarse he wouldn't, but those damned therapists can play it so convincing, like they actually know someone more than they know themselves. Well this one doesn't and he wasn't going to go for it mucking up his mothers head. Imagine what it would have said if it knew Sams love of animals? Oh yea, there would be a shrinks field day, Sams' love of animals would be due to some kind of lack of having enough support from family or some shit. Always got to blame someone in the family for a member having some kind of problem right? So he debates having head doctor for his next meal.

Puff, Milferd was sucking on his inhaler, Sam was talking to him about going to the comic store to see if any new comics came in and to pick up more werewolf comics for Milferd to read, since he had werewolves in the family.

" You know... That comic said werewolves... Curse skips a generation, so I have kids, they will grow up... And become werewolves... The first change... Happens around puberty... Still deadly, werewolves have no control during the change and crave human flesh... I think I'll be... Adopting instead... I asked my grandpa about werewolves, he said never you mind, so story might be true... My dad's not a werewolf, but was just an old story, so might have cured... The curse by now."

" Could try to find out, you might be a werewolf and don't know it, can watch you on a full moon, see if you change. Would have to chain you up just in case." Sam seemed like he was actually going to try this,

He was clamping his jaw so he didn't burst into laughter at the image of a wheezing werewolf chasing some human meal, only to give up the chase to stop and puff on that inhaler.

**** kitchen ****

When their mom arrived home from work, he made his way out of the room to talk to her, Sam and Milferd followed, no chance of this being private, no they had to make him feel like a side show and stare waiting for him to actually shift. When he did, both Sam and his mom yelped, Milferd just puffed away on that inhaler. They even got their mom calmed down, though she was diffidently shaken by the fact, more so when it came to hearing about Max and what a real close call that was.

Sam actually told her that he and the Frogs got rid of Max, this got Sam a lecture about doing stupid dangerous things and grounded for a week. Then it was his turn to get lectured for helping and letting Sam do something so stupid and dangerous and for actually letting this go a year hiding it from her. Eventually he managed to calm enough himself to change back.

" That was wicked." Puff, puff, Milferd went, how much that thing can puff he wasn't sure, he bet the kid has to buy a lot of them.

" OK, I'm not insane, Mike's not a pedo trying to give me candy from his magic van... I don't need therapy, no pills and the shrink is a lame wad, ass scratcher." Sam and his ever colorful words of wisdom.

"Sam!" even in shock at seeing him like he was, their mom still turns and chastise Sam.

"Ok Mike isn't a pedo with candy on a bike and the therapist is a lame but scratcher. No more therapy?" Sam asked after barely attempting to cover his rude sarcasm. Their mom sighs in exasperation.

Mom looks at Sam then him, she tries not to cringe. " I'll cancel the appointment... "

"Yes! I mean that's to bad." Sam was grinning,

Their mom went to bed, Sam decided he was tired and dragged Milferd along to read up more on werewolves.

Now alone still in the kitchen, he was about to leave when his grandpa walks in and started munching on his oreos and coke. " Finally told her eh?" the old man takes a drink and a handful of the oreos and walks back out mumbling about damned vampires, leaving him to stare at the old mans back as he went upstairs to his room. Their grandpa knew about vampires and what had happened to him and hadn't said anything? What the hell?
♠ ♠ ♠
There is a valid reason for the therapist to be translating Sams' belief that Mike is a vampire into something that meant Mike was molesting Sam.

I once read a book thinking it was about vampires, turned out to be a true story where a kid started calling his uncle a vampire as a form of oppressing the fact that his uncle was molesting him, his mind in order to cope with having such an act done by someone he trusted, convinced itself that his uncle was a vampire, a monster that couldn't control itself and was preying on him as his victim. the kids coping with the situation was to developed a delusion that his uncle had been turned into a monster. Based on this, it would seem realistic that a therapist would think Sam might be developing the same coping mechanic to explain why he's being molested by his brother.

(except Mike really is an undead vampire in this case.)