Sequel: The Darkness Inside
Status: Mike PoV (mainly) Slash Fic (Complete)

A Different Kind of Love

Doppelgänger

It had been a few months since Maxs' untimely end or premeditated murder, that is what it's called when one plans out someone's death? Not that it mattered, he hadn't noticed the oppressive feeling he been having till it was gone with Maxs' death. He shuddered thinking of it, if he felt that threw David and Max wasn't Davids sire, he didn't want to know what it would have felt like being directly linked to Max and worse what would have happened to his mom and Sam. All good though, Max was gone and they where at the boardwalk.

He gotten used to being part of their little pack, not sure if it was because of what he was or he just lulled into it. He even stopped giving David dirty looks for tricking him, though granted he sure as hell prefer David to Max. Just David kinda gave him chills now and then he'd catch David staring at him with this odd predatory look and then crack a smirk when David would see that he got caught.

Now with Maxs' death, the funny part was, while half vamps return human, without a master over them, all other vampires have a master status, no longer bound to each other, or no longer forced to do the bidding of their former master. Everything was now by mutual interest, or being part of the pack. David encouraged blood sharing to ensure a bound between them all. With Max gone they lost a bound that he guessed psychically linked them so they could "feel" each other. The blood sharing was weird at first, but enjoyable. David though still leader, also joined this sharing, not just linking everyone to him, but linking himself to the others as well. No one had an advantage over the other to abuse this bound like Max would.

Speaking of Half, they woke that evening to find that Star had taken Laddie and ran, where, they wasn't sure. David didn't take it well, he may not have liked Star, but he seems to have this controlling possessiveness that went beyond the vampires need to keep what they claimed as their own. What's Davids, is Davids and he didn't like letting what belonged or that he thought belong to him go. David was snarling mad when he went looking threw the cave and couldn't find Star.

Heh, he on the other hand didn't care. Star had made it clear what her reasons for wanting him was. Dwayne wasn't to happy to see Star had taken Laddie, seemed Dwayne had gotten attached to the kid, but Dwayne wasn't nearly as angry as David and decided to just let it go.

Marko and Paul volunteered to go find Star and drag her back, possibly kicking and screaming. David had actually said no to it, that Star was getting unstable as it was, even if he didn't like it, better her gone. David wasn't as interested in Laddie, Laddie was something left over from Max, so he didn't have as much interest in recollecting him, sides children that young can draw the wrong kind of attention and often never developed abilities properly due to the weakness of being stuck in a child's body.

Now he was perched on his bike on the boardwalk with them, Davids' Bike on his right, more forward as if even when parked he needed to show he was in the lead, Dwayne was practically next to him, Paul, then Marko behind.

He also wasn't paying attention to whatever was being talked about or going on around him, too busy messing with his "new" Walkman, trying to get the Bon Jovi' cassette to play. He shakes it and knocks on the back of it, sand, sand, sand everywhere and it got into everything. Blow on it a few times, snap, cassette in, play. It came to life, so now he truly wasn't paying attention as he slipped the headphones over his ears and started listening to Livin' on a Prayer. The Walkman cost him nothing, the last owner also wasn't going to come looking for it, like ever. At least he didn't have to get used to killing, only good part of fully turning was the loss of moral values, otherwise he'd probably been in shock and turning himself in to the cops for murder. Wait, no, for being a serial killer. Cause they killed at least three times a week.

The interesting thing he had noticed, was they all could feed off of about two good sized healthy people in a single killing, two to three of them per human, which often turned messy, they where messy anyway even on their own, getting two or three of them on one human turned into down right carnage, especially when fighting erupts over the kill.

::Share.::

Glances up and then over to Paul, the source of the mental message. Paul was grinning. Another little trick, they could communicant mentally, with the blood bound between them, it made it very easy, they also could read minds. When David got around to telling and then teaching him, he'd slugged David, after all the bastard let him be all worked up and worried and when he realized David had likely read his mind and let him be nervous. He lost it and slugged him, which actually knocked David on his ass. David got up and laughed it off like it was nothing, like his anger was something cute. Coarse he knew David would be able to kick his ass, but when he got mad, he got mad and the fist went flying. Guess it is good David found his sudden outbursts of anger amusing or cute, though he kinda rather David would just knock him out instead.

:: Nu, uh.::

Return reply and Paul seems to start to pout, Marko's snickering at Paul, knowing what Paul was trying to do, which probably was trying to take advantage of his being so new and may not have actually laid claim on the thing. Another thing about vampires he learned, they aren't big on sharing once they lay claim on something. Once the kills over with and if there's something the prey had you want to keep, you better grab it before the other, cause once claimed, it's rare if the object is given up, allowing others use of such object temporary might happen, but not while the owner was still interested in it. He wasn't any different, the only thought came to mind when Paul prompted him to share was: Mine, mine, mine, mine! Paul would just have to wait till he got board with it enough to let him play with it.

After some time the cassette ran out, so he takes it out and flips it, to play the track on the other side. Again closing off the world around him listening to the cassette, even lightly bobbing his head to the tune, that was till Paul screamed something out that sounded like he said: David has tit's. He looked behind him, Paul was standing up, leaning over the bike looking off at something. He pulls the head phones off and looks around.

David who was not amused, was looking at Paul, Dwayne was looking where Paul was with this weird stare. Marko had his hand to his mouth grinning, not quite biting it, but more like against his mouth in a sly way, also looking where Paul was, so he decided to turn his head and see what the hell had Paul riled up and got everyone's attention. David was now also looking in the direction Paul was as well.

Ok now he was staring." Holy shit." It was Davids exact double, only this one was a girl, Same hair color, eyes, hell even dressed nearly like David, knee high riding boots, black shirt leather jacket, some tear on the knee of her jeans, they looked almost black, but where blue, still, it was crazy how much her and David looked alike, that they could be identical twins, well if David wasn't' a century old and the girl wasn't obviously human. She had nice lips to, but was just weird looking at Davids female look alike, sure she was pretty, even hot, but it was weird and kind of creepy how much she resembled David.

He looked behind at Paul who looked about ready to holler something at the girl, that's when the mental conversation started up.

:: Don't you dare Paul.:: David, even mentally you can hear the cold tone of his voice.

::No fun!, just going to call her over.:: Paul, hint of a laugh to his words.

:: More like jeer her over with hey chickie, chickie, and grabbing yourself.:: Marko, finding it funny to tattle on Paul, not that it wasn't obvious, it was Paul after all.

:: Shush, you! You wasn't supposed to tell! Narc.:: Paul, still laughter in his voice.

:: Doesn't matter, she's gone now.:: Dwayne, calm voice, like he didn't care either way how things would go.

:: We're leaving.:: David sounded calm, but his tone meant it wasn't a request.

:: Your only mad because she wears your face, prettier too, but has a nice ass and tits, shit I'd tap that! The fuck of death!:: Paul was a strange one and still had that laugh in his voice.

David suddenly took off, we where expected to follow, so we did, this was going to be an interesting night, Paul wasn't likely to stop going on about her, Marko would encourage him and David would likely try to ignore them, or tell them to shut up. David hadn't used that warning tone yet, one when you gone to far, actually he only herd it once, even then he could tell it was a warning, back when Star was getting on his bike that night of the challenge and David called Star over to him. Tonight was more like David wanted to think about this before giving Paul leeway to alienate the girl, least that was the feeling he was getting.

**** Later ****

A few nights latter and they hadn't spot her, she wasn't someone easy to miss, but likely she had already left or she just didn't come their way. David had decided he wanted to talk to her, or more like he was thinking of turning this girl, maybe the fact she was Davids spitting image, just female was the reason, or he was replacing Star, no telling the reason, but David decided he see if this girl had what it took to go all the way. She fails, they would have a meal, she passed, they'd have a new member and this time without worry of Max wanting to kill the fledgling for being made without Maxs' permission. Another detail David let drop, Max didn't allow them to sire, he had forbade it. They had tried turning others, but few succeeded and those that made it all the way often got removed by Max.

" I spy, with my little eye... A Shevid!" Paul had decided to nick name their quarry, much to Davids annoyance, yet again Paul was the first to spot her, or then again, she spotted them, they all turned to look, and she was staring their way, or more like Davids way.

The girl seemed to be sizing David up, looking him over, David had already did his look over of her the other night, now he just smirked. Probably because the girls thoughts.. She obviously was attracted to David. Would that make her, what was it, oh yea, vain, since she seems to approve of and even desires David who could pass as her twin brother.

::You should tell her your her long lost brother, after doing her.:: Marco decided to be the comedian tonight, even if he was a little more sick than Paul when he does.

:: I don't want to fuck her Marco, her attraction works good enough, means we don't have to convince her to come play with us. If I wanted to do myself I could just masturbate.:: Seemed David thought the idea of doing someone that looked like him to be awkward as well, but David could joke like the rest, now that he had his plans in motion.

:: How do you do this with girls, that is if they don't have a bike?:: He had to ask now didn't he.

:: Well Michael, she'll have to ride on someones back if she has no bike, or if she at least knows how to ride one, one of us can always loan her a bike.:: David was looking at him for some reason now.

:: Wait, uh my bike?:: Why would he suggest his bike? He was barely able to keep up, it just didn't have the horse power theirs had or was made to take the ruff terrain of the beach.

:: Sure it's perfect, you were able to keep up, despite the set back, what better way to test someone than have them be able to keep up with a handy cap? :: David was practically cooing this out at him.

:: Where am I going to sit?:: He glanced around at the others. He has never had to ride with someone else before and he certainly did not want to be the rider on the back.

:: With me, Michael, but this is all hypothetical, she could have a bike or doesn't ride.:: David again cooed this at him, which was a bit unnerving.

Meanwhile the girl had started walking towards them, while they where having their little mental conversation. Likely Shevid as Paul calls her, wondered about how they where all quiet yet throwing each other glances, or a laugh escaping Paul when no one was talking out loud. This probably spooked people, why few got close, other than probably sensing the danger, or the tales that might be floating around about them. Either way most didn't come near, but this girl was walking right up and right for David.

Paul stuck his hand to his mouth cupped, as if about to burst out the loudest cat call he could, but Dwayne grabbed his arm and pulled it away from Pauls' mouth and shook his head, likely giving Paul a private mental message about don't mess up Davids plan.

"Nice bikes." The girl glanced over their bikes, though keeping most of her attention on David, but then gave a weird look to his bike, it looked out of place next the others.

It was his bike and as much as he says he'll get a better one, he just couldn't replace it. He didn't care if Shevid approved of it. The girl seemed to decide on not commenting, while the bike might be out of place, she decided he was a member and not a hanger on wannabe in the gang.

" I'm Mercedes by the way." The girl was forward, not waiting for a response, confident.

" Like the car, can I make you purr?" Paul drew out the word purr.

" Sorry not my type little man." She gives Paul a warm smile, but the coolness of her eyes said she wasn't interested.

Now what was going on in her mind at that moment wasn't to kind, she wanted nothing to do with Paul and was intent on David and Pauls' distraction was annoying her.

:: David watch out, much longer and the chicks going to rip your clothes off and make you scream her name, Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Benz! Vroom, Vroom!:: Paul may not be able to have his leeway with her verbally, but he was going to take this one and run with it telepathically.

:: Yea, she's upgraded to automatic, don't need to go threw shifts to get to the last gear on her, she does it all her own.:: Marco deciding to join the laugh.

:: As funny as you two are, enough of the jokes, it's distracting.:: David didn't seem phased by their games, but needed to focus.

" You ride?" Davids forgoes responding on the bike compliments, though if David ever said a thank you or a please, hell would have to have frozen over.

Paul went silent as well everyone else remained so, though Paul seemed full of hyper energy and eager to get the test going. David wasn't taking time with conversation and going right to the challenge and everyone knew better than to interrupt or distract him now.

" I have a bike, but it got wrecked a couple nights ago, so it's in the shop." The girl Mercedes seemed cool on the outside, much like David, but her thoughts where anger about someone fucking up her bike.

" Michael." At David saying his name he knew what was wanted, so he got off his bike and sat behind David. Sigh he was hoping to avoid this, why did this girl have to ride and turn out to not have her bike with her.. Somehow he thinks David was aware of the girls lack of a bike and being a rider. Probably dug into the girls mind that first night they saw her.

" You can use Michaels' bike, you know where Hudsons Bluff is over looking the point?" David must use that line every time he figures.

"Not really." she gives his bike a sort of skeptical look." Can this thing even make it?" Shevid didn't have to say it like that, the girl was game for the challenge, if its what would get her next to David. The girl casts a glance at him, thinking that she should be in that spot not him. Oh that was fine, he'd trade with her if he could.

" Michael is able to keep up on it, unless you don't think you can handle it?" David smirks, almost sneering, daring her to try.

" I can handle it just fine, if he can keep up with you on this, then so can I." She came off certain of herself, maybe slightly arrogant, but her thoughts said: Is this guy really worth it?.. And then they stray to He's good looking, hot even and the leader of a gang, shit yea I'm going to do this.

Soon as he tossed her the keys, David revved the engine of his bike to life and just as they took off he herd Paul call out.

" Mikey gets to ride bitch!" followed by wolf whistles from him and Marko.

He flips them off for their troubles which only made them hoot and cat call as they followed behind. He decided to hang off Davids shoulder, no way was he going to loop his arms around and hug close to David to hang on, wasn't like either of them had to worry about falling from the bike anyway and David ignored the grip on his shoulder.

He could see the girl follow behind, she wasn't at all hesitant, but the bike wasn't made for this terrain, so she still had a moment to get it under control, she must been used to off road bikes and didn't expect the difficulty she got, but she soon caught on and sped up, gaining and keeping up with the group.

They all yelled, he even joined in. The weird thing about it was, it wasn't so much them showing off and goofing while enjoying a ride, sure that was part of it, but it seem to have a meaning. One time he seen this thing on wolves when he was board and nothing was on T.V. it was on how they howl to each other so their pack knows where they're at. Their own hoots and howls was a call out to say hey here I am, much like those damn wolves... Actually he fell asleep on that documentary, it gave him the weirdest dreams that night.

David was urging her on between his own calls, hoots and howls, like David had with him. Now how was she going to take it when she gets to the cliff, he couldn't picture this girl trying to hit David, but nor could he picture her as totally freaking out. Mercedes was trying to get in the spirit and hoot herself, though she was very hesitant and unsure and had no idea the meaning it held to them, beyond it being guys goofing around and having a good time riding like maniacs.

**** At the Cave ****

Well Miss Mercedes made it, she got to the edge of the cliff and skidded to a stop, stopping a few feet away, she'd had not gotten as close as he had that night, causing him to have to ditch the bike, but close enough. She had gave David this what the hell look. Mercedes thoughts ran along the lines of this guy is fucking insane. The game David played on her had scared her, but she calmed herself quickly and asked him right out if he was suicidal. The girls thoughts had settled on this guy is dangerous and insane, but makes him hotter.

The girl was infatuated with David, but didn't show it other than that she mostly ignored everyone else to focus only on David. She kept cool under pressure, she wasn't quick to fight, nor would she back down, she had gladly followed when David offered her to come with them.

:: What you want me to go get to eat this time?:: Marko was asking David, though to the girl he'd look like he was lost in his own thoughts as he petted a pigeon he had picked up from its roosting spot.

:: Humm, could try pizza, can work with those toppings.:: David debating what to get, likely going to play nasty mind games. This little mental discussion also was going on while David did his quick explanation of the hotel to Mercedes, who seemed a little impressed and even said she liked it.

:: Could do something different than food.:: This earned him a glance. He shrugged.

:: What you have in mind?:: David was curious to know.

:: Could give her some of Pauls' "special" blend:: This earned him a burst of laughter, especially from Paul, well mentally.

:: That's brutal, we're trying to test this girl not kill her. You have one cruel streak Mike.:: Dwayne, but there was laughter in his comment, meaning he was all for the idea.

:: She survives toking Pauls' special stash, she can survive anything and if her brain doesn't melt from the tripping out on it, she could hold up to anything.:: Marko, finding the idea amusing, but all for it.

::Shit, do it, do it, do it, damn it, do it! I'll donate for a good cause, I got one already rolled and ready and waitin', just give the word.::

:: Humm, well could prove entertaining at least and it's something different than the usual... Ok we'll try this, see what happens.:: David after the agreed upon task, takes a seat in the wheel chair that seemed to double as his throne of sorts.

:: No way in hell I'm going to miss this.:: Marko, finds a spot next to Paul on the fountain, pigeon in hand.

:: Heh, I don't think any of us want to miss this.:: Dwayne takes a seat on the couch to watch the action.

He had stretched out on his belly on the fountain's edge opposite side of David, but he had to prop up on his arms since Marko and Paul where blocking his view of Mercedes. Poor girl, he almost felt sorry for her, he had seen what that shit did to Paul, it was more than enough to deter him from smoking it when offered.

Paul pulls out the fattest longest joint he ever seen. And holds it out to Mercedes with one hand, lighter in the other." Hey Mercedes, you smoke?"

" Yea, Smoke Mercedes?" David pulls out a joint from his own jacket and pops it between his lips, lights it and starts to puff on it, eyes on her.

Mercedes was hesitant at Pauls' offer, unsure, but when David stuck one between his lips, She grabbed the fat joint from Paul and the lighter, flips it open, lights it and starts to puff, hold it in, then slowly lets loose the smoke." What do you think?" she then looks at David a smirk across her face, almost identical to Davids own smirk. She had even taken a seat near as she could to David as well.

" Well aren't you a rebel." He returned the smirk, his voice was cold and mocking, this didn't seem to phase or deter his look alike. " So where you from?"

Mercedes eyes where already looking glassy, whatever Paul put in that joint, it was starting to work fast." I'm.. Some." She giggles," I can't remember, oh I know I came from Seattle, tired of the weather, parents are douches, so on a road trip.." She starts trailing off as her face takes on a dreamy state as she stares at David.

" Oh? Why are you traveling and why to Santa Carla?" David was practically interrogating her, though Davids voice came out pleasant, not cold, either way the girl liked having Davids undivided attention.

" Want to see places, find cool spots to hang, I was passing threw, wouldn't have stayed, except some jack ass backed his truck over my bike... But gad I did. " She gave David this dreamy smile, now Mercedes was looking really out of it, her eyes where dilating and she started staring at things in front off her and giggling at them, even took a swipe at something only she could see, but she toked that joint still.

David continued asking questions it was more for conversation and to see if the girl had something to hide, as any of them would known if she was lying. The conversation finally ended when Mercedes fell to the floor twitching and foaming at the mouth.

They gathered around to look at her. Well this wasn't good, she looked like she was about to die." How long she going to do that?" He pointed at the twitchy Mercedes.

" Don't know, never gave a human one of those before, she should live. I think." Paul shrugged.

" If she dies, can I have the body?" everyone looks at Marko who just puts his hand to his mouth, that Cheshire cat grin smiling from behind it. What ever Marko wanted the body for, he didn't want to know.

" She's not dieing, just tripping hard." Dwayne, who then leans down and nudges Mercedes who swats at the air and starts mumbling incoherently and twitching on the floor.

"Oh, dude I remember, cyanide kills humans!" Paul nods grinning like he just said something that he was proud of. This earned him looks from everyone, well except the convulsing Mercedes.

" You put cyanide in the joint?! Why the hell did you do that?" David seemed a bit irritated, not mad, but certainly irritated at this new bit of news.

" Helps keep the trip going longer." Paul's smug and sounding proud of his achievement.

David just shakes his head and kneels next to the girl then pulls off his gloves and with a sharp fingernail, cuts his wrist and puts it to Mercedes mouth." Next time, we're getting the food." David looks up at Paul. " You are an idiot."