Status: COMEDY

Kessak

Don't Leave Me

Saturday, April 27th, 2013. 5:40PM.


"What the fuck, Ty!?" Phil invited him over to Bozie's, entering without knocking or ringing the doorbell. The slammed the door shut behind him, furiously, startling Tyler for a moment who was just eating a bag of chips.

"What!? What's going on!?" he spoke with his mouth full of Lays original. He took his feet off the coffee table and lowered the volume of his favorite show, Everybody Loves Raymond.

"Don't fucking act like you don't know what I'm talking about!" Phil's tone of voice was high, his eyes a deep shade, he almost looked frightening.

"Baby, I don't know what you--"

"I heard what Dreger said this morning, okay? I know you're going to test Free Agency in July." he spoke, still angry with what the insider had said on TSN's radio.

Tyler sighed, and bit his bottom lip while looking at the ground where Phil was standing. "Sit down," he motioned his head over too the space beside him on the couch. Once Kess sat down, he began explaining. "I just want to explore options I--"

"Why!?" Phil's eyes were watering. "You don't want to be with me anymore?"

"No! No, that's not why!" Tyler shook his head.

"Is it because you want to be with someone else?" Phil continued.

"No!"

"You're hoping the Avs will offer you a contract, aren't you? You want to go back to Denver, so you can see Drew.. It's true, isn't it?" Phil wouldn't let Tyler speak.

Tyler's eyebrows instantly furrowed at the mention of his ex, Drew Shore, from when they used to play for the University of Denver Pioneers, who currently is a Florida Panther. They had secretly dated for a year, and now remain as friends.

"You can't even deny it!" the tears streamed down Kessel's cheeks.

"I love you, not him, not anyone else." Ty said softly, trying to calm his boyfriend down by holding both of his hands.

"Then why are you leaving?" Phil cried.

"I just want to see what other teams have to offer. It's clear that the fans and management here don't want me.." he responded, sadness filling the air.

"Goddammit that's not true..!" he tried to make him feel better, now. He knew how harsh Toronto could be.

Two years ago, Phil told the media at the end of the failed season that they need to 'ease up on Bozie.' And then before Trade Deadline day this year, he was interviewed after a game and said that obviously he would 'miss Bozie because he is a good friend of mine, right?'

"Yes it is, and you know it." Bozak replied. "Besides, I'm sure you would rather be with your new best friend.." he mumbled.

"What?"

"James." Bozie looked into his eyes, referring to JvR.

"Don't try to change the topic," Kessel rolled his eyes.

"I'm not. Every since he came here, you've been laughing and chatting beside him at team dinners, hugging him longer during goal celebrations.. I could list things for hours." he threw another chip in his mouth.

"W--Wha--Well, what about you and Naz?" Phil shot back.

"What, you mean the guy who all the fans want in between you and James on the ice?" Tyler said, silencing Phil. Ty sighed heavily, his self-esteem was low, and he just didn't want to fight right now.

"You're still our top liner, don't forget that. They wish you were playing tonight. Everyone missed you last game. You're a huge part of the team's success, baby.." Kessel's voice had become softer, more gentle, and careful.

"And then the fans are all more than happy knowing that I'm injured. I bet they wish it wasn't minor.." he murmured.

"Don't say that!" Phil squeezed Tyler's hand.

"Do you want me to lie?" Bozie stared at him. "Do you want me to lie and say that they don't look at me as a 'third liner'?"

Phil bit his bottom lip, looking at the carpet under the coffee table. The room grew quiet again, until Kessel broke it again, "I wish you could just pay attention to the people that really love you."

"You should get going," Tyler said. "Pregame warmup is in an hour."

Phil swallowed, and nodded his head slowly. He stood up, removing his hand from Tyler's. He started walking towards the front door, without looking back.

He turned the door knob, but stopped in the door frame. Once he turned around, be noticed that Tyler ha also stood up by the couch. They looked at each other, thinking, communicating, and feeling the urge to run into each other's arms.

They both knew that if Nonis were to offer Bozie a 4+ million dollar contract, he would stay. But with everything going on in the Leafs roster and upcoming unrestricted free agents--it wasn't sure if they were going to re-sign Tyler or not. It broke Phil's heart. The management, the staff, the fans, they all knew the chemistry the two linemates and best friends had. They all knew they were good together with the 'Bert And Ernie' bromance the 'buds' shared on and off the ice.

"If you love me," Phil said quietly, loud enough for Tyler to hear. "You won't leave for the money.." He then turned to the door, and left.

He left Tyler standing, not knowing what to do in July.
♠ ♠ ♠
sobbing