The Unwanted One

The Unwanted One

I look around the square of our district. Everyone for district 12 has started to arrive. I watch all the gloomy faces. I can't help but feel pity for some of the families, those who have already lost a child, but still have to watch as their other children could possibly be called. I kick a rock in frustration. I look over to the line of boys, and smile at my brother, He was looking at me too. I'm worried about him. He'd never be able to make it through the games. As strong as he is. He's too kind.

I remember when our mother had caught Katniss Everdeen picking through our trash. Peeta deliberately burnt two loaves of bread so he would be forced to give them to the pigs, instead he threw one to Katniss. It was after her father died. She was starving, and the boy had always had a crush on her. I sigh thinking about the whipping I got because I wouldn't let her touch Peeta.

Before I know it, it's my turn to sign in. The peacekeeper pricks my finger and places it by my name, my blood is my signature, how awesome is that? I leave the line and head to my age section. I look around again. Marveling at how nice everyone looks. We're supposed to dress up for the slaughter. I look down at myself. I'm in a dark blue dress, with a black belt around the waist that makes my breasts a bit more predominate. My short choppy black hair is sticking up in every direction, there really wasn't anything I could do about my hair, nor did I care if it looked like hell. My green eyes roam around. They focus on the stage. Surprisingly enough Haymitch Abernathy is sitting up on stage next to the mayor. Haymitch is the only victor district 12 has ever had.

I met Haymitch once. I think back to that day, trying to remember it.

It was raining the streets were nothing but mud. I was trying to get away from my mother and father. The only kid they care about is Peeta, I know it, they know it, Peeta knows it, hell the whole district knows it. I found myself out side staring at the Hob. Haymitch was stumbling out of it, liquor in hand. I don't think he even realized it was raining. That's how plastered he was. I knew what was going to happen even before it did. He was stumbling, drunk, and it was raining and muddy. before i could call out to him to be careful he went down. I shake my head just watching. I expected him to curse and get up and continue on his way, but he didn't. He didn't even move. Just laid there. I groan, knowing I couldn't very well let him stay there and be found by the peacekeepers. I made my way over to him. He was conscious just looking up at the sky letting the rain hit his face. He heard me approach him.

"Come to laugh at the drunken victor, Sweetheart?" He asked and looked at me. I shook my head no.

"I'm gonna get you home, Haymitch." I spoke quietly but loud enough that he could her me over the rain.

He didn't reply to that.

I bent down, grabbing his two bottles of liquor and tucking them under one arm. With my other arm, I grabbed Haymitch, hoisting him up. When he was standing I swung one of his arms over my shoulder and put my free arm around his waist letting him lean on me.

"You don't have to help me, Sweetheart." He growled.

"Yes I do, because if I ever get reaped, you'd be helping me." He looks at me but doesn't say anything. We make our way to victory lane. Where his house is.

We reached his house and I opened the door, walking us booth inside. I sit him down on the only clean spot on his couch there is and set his alcohol beside him. I don't say anything, but i walk around his house finding the kitchen, I find a semi clean rag and wet it. Walking back over to Haymitch he looks at me funny.

"You have mud all over you face." I stated. He nods.

I take the rag and whip of his face. before tossing it beside him as well.

"Whats your name sweetheart?" He asks.

"Echo Mellark." I state.

"Ah, the unwanted one." I grit my teeth at what he said.

"No worries sweetheart. I'm unwanted to."

I stand up and go to leave, but before I can, Haymitch grabs my arm.

"You ever get reaped, I'll stay sober enough to help you survive." He says then releases my arm.


I'm interrupted from my thoughts by district 12 escort, Effie Trinket. She's already done her opening statement and shown the video, I didn't even notice.

"Now," Her annoying high pitched voice squeals. "We'll be doing something different this year. The male tributes will be picked first! Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!"

I feel my heart race thinking the worst, feeling the worst in the pit of my stomach. Something bad is going to happen. I just know it.

Her hand hovers over the glass bowl filled with the names of all the boys from the district. Peeta has never had to enter for tessare so the odds should be in his favor, he should be fine. He has to be fine. I watch as Effie pulls a name and goes back to her microphone. She clears her throat. "Peeta Mellark."

My world stops.

My eyes snap to Peeta, his eyes are watering. I know he's going to cry. I feel like crying. I can't lose my brother. I can't. My heart is racing my palms start sweating I can't breathe. He gets to the stage and turns to face the crowd his eyes meet mine. I think he realizes it before I do. As Effie walks over to the girls bowl her hand hovering above it. He shakes his head at me. Why is he shaking his head at me. Then as soon as I speak I know why.

"I volunteer!" My voice screams as I'm racing out of my section and to the isle.

Effie looks at me with shock written on her face. "Dear, I admire your enthusiasm but you have to wait till I pick a name."

Before I can say anything, Haymitch speaks. "Just let her go. You don't need a name if you already have a volunteer." Effie nods.

'Well come on up dear." I look at Peeta and nod quickly making my way up to the stage. "Whats your name dear?" Effie asks putting the microphone to my mouth.

"Echo Mellark." Effie lets out a gasp.

"I'm willing to bet that Peeta over here is your brother." I just nod. "A round of applause for district 12's first volunteer!" Effie shouts enthusiastically.

All of district 12 is silent. I look at our parents, mother has a small smirk on her face and father is looking everywhere but at me. Then I see it, in unison the crowd around places three fingers to their lips and then put them to the air. They know why I volunteered. Of course they do. I'm the unwanted one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and let me know what you think. I'd really appreciate it.