Touching Spirits

Touching Spirits 003:

Chapter Three
"How's he doing?"

"So far, so good," Luka said as the two of us kneeled on top of the jumbotron and watched as Sidney skated around the ice with his other teammates, "He's been here a month, Iz, he's not doing too bad."

"Has he shifted fully yet?"

"No," he muttered and I sighed, "I know, I know, I'm trying to convince him."

"When does his season start?" I asked because I realized that they were in the middle of training camp now.

"Next month," Luka said and I nodded my head.

"You have next month to make him shift completely," I said and Luka looked at me.

"That's insane, Izzy! He's my responsibility!" he growled and I looked at him.

"This isn't about responsibility anymore, Luka! The darklings are moving, I got a call from
Ryan last night, they're gathering all over the place," I explained and Luka sighed, "Montana's already lost six spirits."

"Darklings?"

"They found out that they get a power boost when they drain us," I explained and Luka looked at me shocked, "You need to be extra careful at night. I know I've caught their scent in the city."

"You have my back?"

"Of course," I said and then leaned over the big machine that hung high over the large ice, "So this is hockey?"

"Yeah."

"Cold in here," I muttered as I grabbed onto the wire and leaned over.

"It's ice, of course it's gunna be cold," Luka teased and I smirked and playfully shoved him, "This is his fourth practice."

"How is he?"

"I guess he's good, I don't know a thing about hockey," Luka said and I stared down at the ice and saw that Sidney had glanced up towards us, "I see that the best player is that Lemieux."

"Why's that?"

"Been playing for a long time, from what I understand," he explained and I looked at the man known as Lemieux.

"That name sounds familiar," I muttered and then looked at Luka.

"That's what I thought too, so I did some research," Luka said and I leaned up and turned to face him.

"What'd you find?"

"He came to our district in '84, he was eighteen," Luka said and I looked down towards the ice.

"Wait what? He's been here since '84?"

"Yeah."

"So he's what, thirty nine?"

"Yeah," Luka said and I smelled the air, "He's a spirit, Izzy."

"What is he?" I asked smelling that he was, but not being able to tell what.

"Don't know, father walked in and I had to put the file away," Luka said and I nodded my head.

"I'll look tonight," I said and he nodded his head, "He doesn't look well."

"He's been fighting a heart problem for a while," Luka said and I looked at him, "I think he hasn't shifted in a while and his spirit is giving up on him."

I sighed and then looked back at the ice, "And he's never had a slip up?"

"Never, I didn't realize that there was an athletic spirit," Luka informed as I watched as he skated back in forth on the ice and then made his way over towards Sidney.

"This is definitely interesting."

"I don't understand how he's never slipped up. Not once, and he's been in Pittsburgh for over twenty years," Luka said and I sighed.

"Maybe there's hope for your boy yet," I muttered as I stood up and stretched, "I'm going to do a little digging, call me if you need anything."

"Don't get caught."

"Please, father says that if I wasn't a wolf I would have been a fox," I smirked and he looked at me and laughed.

"That's definitely true," Luka teased and I smirked towards him, "I'll catch ya later, Iz."

"Bye," I said and then jumped up high off of the jumbotron and landed on a beam at the top of the arena. There was a fire escape that I climbed up and opened the hatch to the roof off the arena.

It was a warm August day, and I looked around the city to see the traffic all around. I saw the construction across the street, Luka told me they were building a new arena, and that the one we were in now was going to be torn down. I shook off my thoughts, and slid down the igloo, stopping at a beam and then jumping high and landing on my feet. Man, I loved not being human.

I ran down the street and made it to my car, a Nissan Xterra. I jumped into the driver's seat and pulled out of my parking spot, driving my way home.

As I arrived to my home, I parked my car and heard some commotion coming from the front of the house. I made my way over towards there to see that Ryan was there pushing another person and yelling at him.

"Hey!" I called, but was ignored, "Hey!" I yelled and ran over towards them and pushed the man off of Ryan who tried to tackle him to the ground, "What's going on here?"

"Nothing," the man muttered as he glared at Ryan, who was standing behind me.

"Something's going on?" I growled and walked towards the man. I knew he was on the force with Ryan, but I didn't know why they were fighting.

"Bella," Ryan called and I felt his hand on my shoulder, "Come on, go inside, this is nothing."

"Nothing we need a wolf for," the man growled and I glared towards him.

"Derek!" Ryan growled and then grabbed the back of my shirt before I could get a punch at the guy, "You don't disrespect Isabella!"

"You're so far up her ass that you don't even see what's going on!" the man known as Derek yelled.

"What is going on?" I asked as I glared at him, but he showed no emotion, "What's going on?!" I repeated showing more anger and I knew that my eyes were glowing.

"Your damn father sent us on a suicide mission! That's what's going on!" he growled and I took a step back, completely confused.

"I don't understand," I said and then looked up at Ryan, completely taken back by what's going on.

"He-"

"Derek!" Ryan growled and then looked down towards me and his eyes softened. He sighed and then looked up towards the guy again, and back towards me, "When we got to Philly, the territory was so far gone, there was nothing we could have done. We lost three guys alone from our district, and the more in the others."

"It's that bad?" I asked and he nodded his head, "How much time until they migrate?"

"Don't know, but the southern part of district five is completely gone, that's darkling territory now," Ryan explained and I looked at Derek.

"You lost a friend, didn't you?" I asked and he looked up at me and nodded his head, "I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do to bring him back."

"Bella-"

"I'm looking into this," I said and started to walk away.

"You're not even of age!" he yelled as I walked towards the stairs, "There's nothing you can do!"

"There's always something that I can do," I yelled as I turned around and smirked towards them and ran into the house.

It was true, I was only eighteen, an adult in the human community, but still a child in the spirit community. The coming age is twenty, and until then, we were not allowed to know much information about what was going on in our world; however, with me being the leader's daughter, I was allowed to 'peek' into it.

I headed towards the file room and did what I originally came here to do, find out who that Lemieux person was. I found his file and then walked over towards the table and turned the desk lamp on. I was the only one in the room, and it was quiet. I opened the files and inhaled all the information about the thirty-nine year old, Mario Lemieux, height: 6-4, weight: 230lbs, birthday: October 5, 1965. He was born in Montreal, QC, Canada, married in 1993 to a human.

'...God I wonder what the council thought about that...' I laughed as I read that last part because we didn't like the face that spirits had relationships with humans, '...I wonder if she knows?...' I thought and then continued to read about his four children, Lauren, Stephanie, Austin and Alexa. The only child that seemed to have a spirit was Austin, and it says in the file, that he was born prematurely and was going to die. Mario made a deal with the council and a dying spirit was torn from a man close to death and placed into the child, a rare and wondrous opportunity.

'...I guess she knows about our kind...' I thought seeing that her son was a spirit, '...I don't know how she wouldn't...' I took a deep breath and continued looking through the file, it gave me the address to where they live, says he shows up to the meetings when called upon, but I've never seen him before, he hides rather well. I grew frustrated when I couldn't find where it said about what spirit he and his son were.

"Can I help you, Isabella?"