Status: Finished

The Lost Boys

Convince Me

I eyed Chris carefully, trying to determine whether or not he was truly asleep. I had relaxed considerably on the ride home. About 20 minutes into the drive I had started to joke around with Chris, but we were all beginning to feel fatigued and I had started to nod off.

“Hey Chris!” Josh had to yell over the music he had blasting. Chris’s head snapped to attention. I knew it! He had been preparing to pull the same prank he had been for the duration of the ride: pretending he’d fall asleep then, just as I’d zone out, he’d leap over and start tickling me or jump forward and shake Rebecca’s seat. This was easy for him to do as he sat right beside me and behind Rebecca.

“What’s up?” He yelled back.

“What do you think?” There was a glint in Josh’s eye.

“Go for it!” Chris grinned.

“Go for what” I thought to myself, confused.

“Guys!” Rebecca interrupted my thoughts with her fearful plea. I looked up and found Josh watching me in the rear view mirror, laughing. “Come on, don’t!” She yelled again. I looked over to Chris for some sort of answer.

“Hold on.” He mouthed, buckling in. I tightened my seat belt and grabbed the aptly named oh-shit-bar just in time for Josh to veer off the road onto a dirt path. This wasn't so bad until the drop off where we plummeted at an almost vertical slant. Chris had his hands up in the air as if we were on a roller coaster ride; Rebecca was laughing, hands up as well; Josh kept his hands on the road, only slightly focused and laughing with the others. Was I the only damn person in this car who saw our impending doom ahead?! Not many people survived 80 mph head on collisions with solid cliff walls!

“Dawn…” It was a whisper, coming from my right. But that didn't make any sense…The music should have completely blocked that out. I looked, nonetheless, only to find a concerned Chris staring intently at me. He moved closer once he had my attention.

“It’s ok!” He yelled to me. “He knows these paths like the back of his hand!” He slid back to check my reaction, and I nodded taking a few deep breaths. Some of the color seemed to return to my face. I sat back and Josh immediately turned the wheel sharply to the left causing me to fall into Chris, squealing in surprise. I laughed, sitting back up, and then looked up to find Josh watching me. After that, I pretty much looked out the window the rest of the ride, just enjoying the adrenalin high I was receiving as the foliage sped past in a blur of motion. Josh checked on me periodically in the rear view, but I really didn't see the need. It wasn't like I was going to fall out of the car or something.

Finally, we ground to a halt. Josh and Chris looked at each other, nodded, and then opened their car doors. Chris, being a gentleman, helped me out and shut the door behind me. Although it was nearly pitch black, I could still see the cave ahead. Josh led the way in followed by Rebecca, myself, and Chris.

“Where-“ I began to ask, clinging to Chris slightly. I was immediately cut off by a sharp, “Shh!” from someone ahead, but I couldn't be quite sure who.

“Stay low and try to cover your hair.” Rebecca warned me, turning so I could hear her. I followed her advice, and it was a good thing I did. Fluttering filled the air and things began to rush past everything exposed. I soon recognized a faint, extra high pitched squeaking as well: bats. I wasn't ever afraid of bats, and wasn't then, even while I was surrounded by them. However, I was still somewhat worried about being bitten and therefore moved at a slower pace then I had been. As the sounds of fluttering faded, and I began to pay attention to other sounds such as talking and a soft light ahead. We eventually stopped at an opening in the wall, the source of the voices and light I had picked up on. I peered over the edge to find a group of people lounging on a living room set in the middle of a cavern. It was an odd sight to say the least. Who on earth would want to be back here?

As I continued to look down, I quickly realized that there were no stairs or means of getting down other than jumping. I am not by any means athletic, however, I’m not overweight, either. People, therefore, assume that I am athletic based on the fact that I am not obese. This is complete bull shit. The fall before me wasn't one that could kill me, but it was still large enough that if landed wrong, I would probably break a bone or two. Josh went first confirming my jump theory. He landed it in absolute silence causing me to double take in confusion. Was that possible?! He said a quick “Hi” to everyone, and then turned to catch Rebecca who jumped as well. Josh caught her like it was nothing.

Chris playfully pushed me forward. I gulped as the realization dawned on me that I was, indeed, up next. Josh had turned and walked away, so he wouldn't be catching me, not that I expected him to. The others in the room stayed where they were, a couple looking on with bemused expressions, wondering if I’d jump or freak out I’m sure. If there’s one thing I hate more than anything else, it’s people who judge me. Their expressions were enough to make me step forward and off the ledge. The fall, if I do say so myself, was quite graceful. The landing probably could have used some work, but it wasn't painful, and that’s what counts. The two who were watching me exchanged glances then went back to what they were doing. I heard Chris land softly behind me.

“Nice…” He muttered sarcastically as he walked around me to get to Josh and some other guy he was talking with. I stood there a bit awkwardly as everyone I knew was talking to someone else. Until introduced, or I saw an opportunity, I took this time to examine the room a little better. It seemed much smaller now that I was actually down here. The walls were covered in many different bands’ posters and stickers, most of which I’d never heard of. The light in the room came from various candles, candelabras, and a decent sized chandelier made from odds and ends. As far as furniture went, it was all mismatched. There was a black leather couch in the center of the room with a wooden coffee table sitting in front of it, a green love seat making a 90 degree angle to the couch, and a few chairs and book shelves scattered through out. There was a fancy looking carpet in the center of the room that didn't seem to go with anything, and a queen sized bed off in the corner…I didn't want to ask. Along with these, a mini bar was tucked away in another corner and CD's littered every surface available.

“So.” The man talking to Josh dropped into the plush, green love seat behind him, his arms resting on the back of it. “Convince me.” Josh immediately pushed Chris forward.

“He’s the one who thinks she should join.” He muttered. Chris sighed, exasperated.

“Look Dave, Alison broke up with me and now Rebecca’s going to be the only girl here. She’s going to be absolutely miserable that way. You of all people have to see it! She hasn't even..." He glanced my way but, realizing I was distracted, continued." She hasn't fed yet.” Dave nodded and looked back up at Chris, that cool expression never faltering.

“Continue…” He spoke softly.

“Well…” Chris continued, organizing his thoughts. “She isn't unlike us. She meshes even as a human…Just look at her.” I was currently sitting on the leather couch, my legs tucked underneath me, chatting comfortably with two others. One was a blond and the other a brunette. Both wore similar outfits: a black band shirt with baggy Tripp pants. Dave glanced over to watch me, but continued to listen to Chris speak. “Rebecca even seems to trust her, and you know how that goes.” He finished. Dave nodded once again, watching me a bit longer. I was laughing and seemed to be having a genuinely good time.

“And Josh,” Dave turned abruptly. “Your argument…?”

“Females are weak as is.” Josh’s spiteful tone was a complete contrast to Dave’s cool, imploring one. “They need, in essence, a body guard as well as a teacher. Rebecca has that: I’m with her.” He subconsciously wrapped an arm around her waist. She, giving him a heated glare, freed himself from his arm and put a few feet of distance between them. “Chris is still in love with Alison, not Dawn. She will have absolutely no one, and even though some could still handle themselves…She’s exceptionally weak. She won’t be able to handle even the secret…And she’s far too innocent to feed.”

“Josh…” David began, steeping his fingers. “She has shown quite a deal of courage tonight. She faced me in that ally, and she managed to laugh in the face of death with you two earlier. I think she’s proven she isn't weak many times over tonight. Are there any other arguments?”

“Other than the fact that I just don’t like her?” Josh spat.

“Yes, Josh.” Dave smiled in amusement.

“No…” Josh mumbled, glaring off into a corner. “Ian!” He then called the brunette I was sitting with over. “What do you think?” He asked in a hushed tone.

“I say we do it tonight” Ian replied with a shrug. Josh growled in response.

“Josh, the bottle…” Dave held out a hand. “Before you break it…” Josh’s grip had been slowly tightening around it.

“She won’t drink it.” Joshua hissed, sounding confident.

“We’ll see about that…” David replied mysteriously as blond from the couch brought me over.

“Dawn, this is David.” They introduced me.

“Pleased to meet you, Dawn.” He extended a hand to me which I shook, making sure to look him in the eye. Something was familiar in that hand shake…”Care for a drink?” He asked, raising the bottle.

“She won’t do it…” I heard Josh caution. I was getting real sick of his attitude tonight so I, in an act of defiance, accepted his offer. David uncorked the bottle and then handed it to me. There was maybe ¼ of the liquid left.

“It’s wine.” Dave, apparently the leader of this group, seemed peculiarly relaxed. I drank in his looks, which were phenomenal. His platinum blond hair made it to his shoulders, and his piercing blue eyes looked amazing when paired with it. His clothing completely contrasted those around him, as he dressed formally in a black blazer, white collared shirt, and black dress pants and shoes. He waited until I looked him straight in the eye again. “My favorite kind, actually.” I nodded again and looked around. Rebecca seemed oddly tense and the others looked just as serious. I wondered why…It was only a bottle of wine, after all.

Finally, I locked eyes with Josh. He must have seen some fraction of doubt in my eyes as nothing but confidence danced in his. That confidence was precisely what made me take a whiff, then press the bottle to my lips and drink down every last drop. Watching that confidence wither and die away made it all the more worth while. I slammed the bottle down on the nearest surface available once done. Cheers erupted around me, and yet Rebecca still looked scared. Dave stood and pulled me into a hug, before whispering, “You’re one of us now…” And at that simple statement, he walked away.
“Come on!” He called back. “The night is young! Let’s have some fun!”