Status: I'll be writing this while writing Atlas Hands at the same time. :-)

Serendipity

imagine

There was something about the ocean that was so absolutely enchanting, like taking just one glance at the vast, blue body of water in front of you was enough to melt away every stress or trouble that pulsed through your veins. My mother used to tell me that you find yourself at the sea, and even though she could never explain why that was whenever I had asked, it always made sense. The sea is so honest, that it's hard not to love her. When she's angry, she's wild; waves of emotion carelessly tossing boats around as a warning not to mess with her. But when it's quiet, and everything's calm, she is so beautiful. I think the world would be a better place if more people were like the sea. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I can assure you, I'm not the only one.

Image

The sun was setting and everyone was bustling about inside the beach house with their red cups and jokes influenced by alcohol, but I remained seated on the porch railing out front that overlooked the Atlantic. Kate and I had been in Barnstable for about four days now, and while it had been quiet at first, we befriended plenty of people. Some were locals, so they knew the area and suggested places for us to eat and party and get the best view of the sunrise in the morning, while others were tourists who were just looking for a good time. We didn't even know a few people who were inside of the house right now, but we learned not to make anything of it. There had never been much trouble in this area.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Colton, a boy who had been friends with Kate and I since middle school, approaching the railing where I was sitting. While he was friends with both of us, Colton had always gotten along with me better than he had with Kate. There was something between us that just made us understand each other. "What are ya' up to out here, Bollywood?" He joked, taking a stab at my name. There weren't many creative nicknames for the name India, so Colton always made up his own.

I sent a smile his way and shrugged my shoulders. "Avoiding the intoxication," I chuckled, nodding to the sliding door on the porch. I was never a big drinker, the taste didn't sit well with me. I didn't mind fruity drinks like daiquiris and piña coladas, but there was nothing but Bud Light and Pumpkinhead here. My friends, despite their love for alcohol, halfheartedly respected my life choices.

"Everything's fun with a little alcohol," Colton insisted, hopping up next to me.

"I've had a little," I replied, lifting the Bud Light in my hand so that he could see it. I didn't like beer, but it tasted decent enough for me to sip on a bottle or two throughout the night.

He just nodded with a smirk, running a hand through his now dirty blonde hair. Colton was generally a brunette, but it got a lot lighter when it was exposed to a hefty amount of sunlight during the summer. His skin was always sun kissed and tan, too, which I was incredibly jealous of. I didn't burn that much, but I definitely didn't tan very easily.

It was quiet for a little bit, until Colton broke the silence by saying, "If you're still thinking about that jackass, I'm going to kill you, you know."

I rolled my eyes and groaned. Colton had never liked George, so when he cheated on me not only once, but twice, I had to cease Colton's urge to pound him into nothing but pulp. I appreciated the fact that he cared about me so much, but he couldn't get it through his head that it wasn't all George's fault. I believed in the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me," and George had definitely fooled me more than just twice.

"I should probably start running then," I responded and sipped my beer, finally craving the need for some alcohol in my system.

"Why do you love him so much?" Colton asked, his voice raising an octave higher, "He fucked with you, India! Not only that, but he fucked you up! Don't give him the satisfaction you're giving him right now by thinking about him, that's all he wanted in the first place. To break you. To haunt you."

I didn't want to argue right now. There was a party going on, it was meant to be a fun night. Besides, Colton would never be able to understand how I didn't see George as a monster. Yeah, he did some pretty fucked up things, but he wasn't like that when I first met him. When I met George Till at the record store five blocks away from my apartment, he was nothing but charming and gentleman-like. It wasn't until seven months later when the cheating started and my entire world crumbled to the ground, while his remained perfectly in tact. I didn't see the monster in him until it was too late.

Colton sighed loudly, firmly placing his hand on my shoulder. "Look, I'm sorry," he apologized, "You just know how I feel about him. But the past is the past, and it can't be changed. So, rather than arguing, let's go inside and get absolutely shit-faced."

A genuine smile appeared on my face. Getting absolutely shit-faced didn't sound like a bad idea.

Image

"We can't go back to Boston today."

It was the morning after the party and Kate and I had spent the entire morning cleaning up beer and vomit from the floors of the beach house. After what seemed like hours of gruesome, never-ending work, the house looked the way it did when we had first arrived: clean and untouched. Today was the twenty-ninth of June, which meant we were supposed to jump in the car and head back home. Kate, however, clearly had other plans.

I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion. "Why not?"

She maneuvered her way through the living room to where I was sitting at the island in the kitchen. "Well," she started, sitting down on the chair next to me, "Do you remember Danny"

Taking a swig of my orange juice, I nodded. Danny Ginsberg was one of the vacationers Kate and I met in the center of town on our second day in Barnstable. There was no denying that he was quite handsome: Dark brown locks with waves that fell like waterfalls over his deep chestnut eyes. Pink lips that spilled words masked by a Scottish accent. He was definitely Kate's kind of guy.

"Yeah."

"Well, he wants to take me out on a date!"

I wasn't surprised. Kate got asked on dates all the time, but I still managed to throw on a smile and toast my glass of orange juice to her. "Congrats, where and when??" I asked, genuinely interested.

"Some diner in Sagamore. For a late lunch or something. Today." She explained, smile never fading.

Sagamore? "Kate, that's only an hour away from home."

"I know."

"So you still want to stay here?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"You ask so many questions!" She exclaimed, slowing dragging her fingers over her cheeks. After a laugh escaped her lips, she continued. "I just, I really want to spend more time with him before he goes back to Scotland. You read John Green novels, India! You have to understand!"

That made me laugh. "Alright, alright," I spoke, defeated, "We'll stay here for as long as you want to. It's your parents' house, and I have plenty of vacation time. Work won't miss me very much, anyway." It was true.

"Oh, I could kiss you!" She praised, pressing her lips against my cheek quickly.

"You should probably get ready," I mentioned, taking a glance at the clock on the stove which read 1:30. I was used to paying attention to time in various situations for Kate, she wasn't very prompt.

"So should you," She sang as she ran into one of the guest rooms to change.

"What?" I asked, nearly choking on the bagel I had just bitten into. Why would I need to get ready for her date? Was I supposed to drive her there or something? Unless-

"I guess I forgot to mention it's a double date," Kate yelled so I could hear her over the water running from the shower head.

"You know I hate blind dates, Kate!" I whined. Plus, I didn't see how I could enjoy myself on a date when all I would be able to think about was George. Our break-up was like somebody ripped a band-aid off of my heart, and it was still stinging.

Poking her head out the door, Kate pointed at me. "You're going on this date, okay? It'll be good for you. Danny said he would bring his cousin, and he called me earlier to inform me that he agreed to tagging along."

Grimacing, I let out a sigh of defeat. "The only reason I'm going is because his cousin already said he'd go, and you know how much I hate ruining people's plans."

"Good."

"What's his name, anyway?" I questioned.

"I'm not one hundred percent sure," She admitted, "I think it's Jack."
♠ ♠ ♠
A filler chapter with a little bit of information to understand India, but an update nonetheless! I hope you enjoyed and please don't be a silent reader! ♫