For the Benefit of Mr. Kite

Crazy Mr. Kite

For the hour I was there Mr. Kite and I sat in the Common Area, him telling me all the stories from when he was a young boy to stories from just this past week. It didn't sound like his stories could be true at all, aside from maybe the ones from when he was younger. But the ones from probably the past few years seemed nearly impossible considering he was in a nursing home.

He talked about how he met his wife. It was 1965, at a Beatles concert (not that I know who The Beatles even are.) As you can probably already guess, the rest of it goes as so... She was dancing and doing the Twist, he saw her, fell in love at first sight, and they lived happily ever after.

The more recent stories he told were about how the President had called him, asking him to do a mission. The center of the nursing home had a bomb in it, and it was up to Mr. Kite to deactivate it. He apparently tried getting into the metal vents up above, but "the bad guys" caught him and drugged him. Next thing he knew he was back in his bed. He asked about the bomb that the President had asked him to deactivate, and they told him that he should know, that he was the one who deactivated it and saved the whole nursing home. Seriously? I know he wants to convince me that old people are interesting, but he's just being a liar. Nobody likes a liar. Unless, of course, you're trying to get out of trouble!

I looked at the clock and realized it was almost the time that my Mother was gonna come looking for me. I couldn't have her see me talking to an old person!

"Mr. Kite, I gotta go, my mom will be coming to get me any minute now."

"But it's only been five minutes! You've only just arrived here, it can't be time for you to leave yet!"

I was shocked. It hadn't been "only five minutes" it's been fifty-five! Maybe he's crazier than I thought. Maybe old people are "interesting". Maybe I was the one who was wrong and it really had only been five minutes. But I can't be, I'm never wrong, I'm in fifth grade! AND I'm smarter than the average fifth grader. All my teachers tell me so. Not to mention it's just obvious that I am smarter than most people my age anyways. Have you seen how all the other fifth graders act??

"Uhm...Mr. Kite, it was 11:00 when I got here, it's now 11:58." I explained, though he still didn't seem to understand. Mr. Kite started yelling and kicking in his chair.

"No! It's not! You just got here! You're a liar! It's not time for you to go yet!"

Apparently some of the people who work there heard the commotion, because in an instant I saw two men take hold of Mr. Kite, making it so he could hardly move a muscle, while a third man put a needle into his arm and injected something into him. I didn't know what was in the needle, all I knew was that it made him calm down. That's when I ran. I had no idea where I was going, I didn't have anywhere in mind, but I knew I had to go somewhere. What had I just witnessed? Why was Mr. Kite getting mad at me? What was in that needle that made him calm down?

I was inside the bathroom, sitting against a wall. I won't admit to crying, though. Crying is for babies. However, my eyes and cheeks were red and puffy from rubbing them so much. It was now 12:15. I didn't care though. If my Mom was leaving she would have come to get me first. Obviously, she was still busy with all these stupid, smelly, weird, old people. Hah! How could someone be busy with old people? What happened today just proved my point, and then some! They are mean, and rude, and they don't deserve friends or anything. I wiped my eyes one last time before getting up to go look for my Mom.

When I found her she was just about to leave an elderly couple to come and find me. I ran over to her and hugged her waist, happy to be around her. Around my Mother I was safe.

"Olivia! There you are! What's the matter hunny?" my Mother said as she placed one of her arms on my back.

"Just bored. Ready to leave." I didn't want to explain everything. I didn't even understand it myself. How could she understand?

My Mother, Brother, and Amelia, all said their goodbye's to everyone. I just stayed quiet. I didn't want to talk to anyone there anymore. Finally I felt the cool breeze and the warm sunshine of early Autumn touch my face. I was out of there, I was with my Mom. I was safe now.