‹ Prequel: Criss Cross
Status: one shot

The Demon Rules: Desire

Desire

His feet rang out hells church bells against the gleaming onyx floor, teeth pressed so tight that it was a wonder they didn’t ring to. Desire was a whirlwind, the pale gold of his hair fluttering harshly with each tight, measured, step. It started somewhere around his toes crawling coal hot tendrils whispering seductively around his legs and lacing through his ribs, the anger casting an acrid sparking glow across the regal marble hall.

He saw the innocent arc of the door way and the serene face of the peach haired boy kneeling beside it, and was there in a flash. Grabbing the child by the fragile wings of his shoulder blades he flung him backwards against the opposing wall, “Where is he you little sanctimonious tattletale, huh? Where is Grace?” Desire hissed into young man’s face, His voice a high tight yet conversational tone.

The child quivered under Desire’s gaze, the elder’s finely painted androgynous features drawn up into a murderous caricature on the rose china of his face. His dumb lips opened and closed emitted only a soft whimper like a lamb bleating, his wide doe eyes rolling in terror of the angelic monster.

Desire’s face relaxed pulling the tendrils back behind a soft smile, though their malevolence still shone molten metallic though his golden eyes, and in the vice like grip he fastened to the young man’s collar “I asked you a question, standing there senselessly and blathering is not same as answering it,” his voice to softened to a mild venom as he lifted the younger an inch off the ground an let him dangle like a Christmas goose.

Doormouse scrabbled at his chest finger fastening on the ebony pendent hanging there, and thrusting it out before him like a shield.

Desire glanced down at it and laughed in disbelief before his face darkened, grip tightening still further. “You really think you can threaten me,” Desire drew close whispering condescendingly into the child’s ear, “Daddy Dormau isn’t here right now, no one is going to help you… don’t try me.”

“Who isn’t here?” a voice growled in veiled fury. Desire glanced slowly over his shoulder and dropped Doormouse even slower lifting one elegant finger at a time till he dropped to the ground a choking gurgling heap “Speak of him and he shall appear,” the gilded demon that was Desire mocked face unchanging, swiveling slowly to face the stone cold figure and bowing. Dormau ignored him steel gray eyes glaring “I don’t remember inviting you.” “No,” Desire shrugged then gestured so violently at the recovering Doormouse that he shrieked and scuttled behind the curtain of his master’s pristine robes, “but I still came, you’re thing lost something of mine.”

Dormau blinked, “Grace wasn’t yours, and it is not the child’s job to watch him, but to watch you.” “Oh I forgot it actually has a purpose,” Desire exclaimed sarcastically.

Dormau frowned his head held high the cascading snow of his hair falling down his shoulders like a waterfall, “you’re cares mean nothing to me, the only thing I have to say to you is if you lay a finger of Doormouse again I swear to…” “You swear do you, to whom, yourself?” Dormau glared, “I swear I will kill you.” “Oh please you wouldn’t seriously kill me for something as little as that.” “You seriously underestimate how little I care for you.” Desire blanched, for a moment the look of a frightened and hurt child peeking through before the tendrils sealed him away with a cold mask.

“Whatever ever I just want to know where Grace is.” Dormau knelt to pull his charge to his feet, “gone.” “Gone where?” the demon whispered through his tight smile. Dormau waited until Doormouse was safely upright and smiling shakily in relief before he replied eyes like ice meeting the demon’s fire and remaining unmelted, “I do not know and I do not care I gave the creature safety and he has now rejected it, he is no longer my concern.” Desire could no longer hold back his fury and spat out exasperated, “You were supposed to be watching him, now he doesn’t seem to be anywhere!”

“Again I don’t know and I don’t care, if he’s alive I don’t care, If he’s dead I don’t care,” Dormau seemed to swell white hot fury sending Desire’s tendrils frightened and scuttling back to wrap around the withered remains of Desire’s heart. “You broke that creature, I’m the one who made you not a babysitter for your broken toys, you are nothing but a disturbed sadistic child now leave because you rejected me to.”

A shadow fell over the demon’s face he glanced down fists clenching, “fine…but remember this child has to reign over you’re humans and he will be back.” his head pulled upright cold mask back in place eyes triumphant features serene, “That was the agreement we made, so don’t try me.” And with that he turned and began to walk away.

He was halfway up the hall when he heard the pattering of feet, pausing just as Doormouse skidded in front of him, gasping he held something out eyes pleading. It shimmered in his palm the pendent, a black clover. Desire stared at it for a moment then sighed tiredly continuing his path out and alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Blegh