Status: Editing little mistakes.

Bride to Be

One

I punched the order into the computer. “One hundred and eighty dollars.” I said to Marsha. She was a regular customer. She dropped by every week to pick up a dress or two. She was employed as a wedding planner. Marsha handed me a crisp hundred dollar bill. Her dainty hands dug out the other eight dollars.

“Paying with cash this week?” I teased. Marsha flipped her wrist back. “Of course.” She answered. I chuckled and handed her the receipt. “I’ll go grab your dress.” I told her. She nodded and started thumbing through the jewelry racks sitting on the counter by the register.

In the storage room, i searched for her company’s name on the tags. Rows and rows of dresses lined the racks. I picked out her dress and made my way back to the register. Marsha was examining the gift cards when I was standing behind the counter.

“Here you are.” I slid the dress over the counter. She gently picked it up, and smiled at me. “Thanks Desiree. You’re the best.” She winked at me and left.

There was another customer ambling about. I glided towards her and asked, “What can I help you with?” She observed me for a minute before answering. “I need a bridal dress. Something with ruffles and lace.” She had a gleam in her eye. She was excited. I knew this look, because I’d seen it so many times before.

She was in love. I shuddered, slightly. No thanks. Too consuming. I don’t want to open my heart to anyone. I quickly put a halt on my train of thought. I waved her over to where I was walking. “These have some of the elements you’re looking for. If you can’t find your size, just let me know.” I smiled at her, then walked off.

I grabbed the clipboard from the storage room and checked the schedule for tomorrow. Stephanie would be working tomorrow. I was the only one here today because she got sick with a twenty-four hour bug. The storage room looked neat for once. The millions of racks full of dresses were straight and the jewelry was neatly packed away in boxes.

I set the clipboard down on the table closest to the door. I peered around the door frame. The woman who had walked in had several dresses in her hand. I’d be here for another hour. Great. It would be closing time by then. I love my job, but sometimes, I get tired of sitting in a shop full of dresses. I also get tired of the people who come in and pretend love is the greatest thing in the world.

The actual store looked a lot like the storage room. Dresses everywhere. Just a lot more. There were white couches here and there. Chandeliers hung from the ceiling. The counter was off to the right of the store. Dressing rooms were in the very back of the store. It looked like an oversized living room. I loved how my store was decorated. Black and white was the theme I was shooting for.

The woman had ten dresses in her hands. “I want to try these on.” She smiled at me. I walked her back to the dressing rooms and she stepped inside and started stripping. I snuck away to the break room. The break room was right beside the storage room. The break room consisted of a long table and six chairs. A mini fridge and microwave stood in the corner.

I grabbed my phone from my spot at the table. I had a text from Stephanie. The good thing about owning your own store was that you got to decide who worked there. I chose Stephanie, and only Stephanie to work with me. She walked into the store one day and applied.

No one had ever applied before. I used to work alone. I hired her right away. Since then, it’s been just us. I had to read her text three times before understanding.

Do you want to go to a UFC fight with me tomorrow night?! Plzz?

I twisted my face with uncertainty. I guess I could go. I haven’t done anything fun with Stephanie in a while.

I replied: Sure. What time?

She answered back a few seconds later: It starts at 7. I’ll text you the directions later! We’ll talk tomorrow!

I didn’t reply back. I had to take care of my last customer. I padded back to the dressing rooms. I knocked twice on the wooden door. “Did you find everything you needed?”

“Yeah! Let me show you.” She sounded out of breath. After a few minutes of patiently waiting outside her room, she bursted out. She looked good. The dress was strapless. It had lace straps and the trail had ruffles on it. Perfect. I lead her over to the mirrors. She stepped onto the platform and checked herself out.

“I think that dress is perfect.” I told her. Her hands flew to her heart. “Really? It looked the best out of all ten.” She grinned at me. A tear fell from her eye. She wiped it quickly. “I’ll take it.” She said, her voice slightly cracked.

While she was changing into her regular clothes, she threw the dress over the door so it was resting on top of it. I grabbed it and put it back in it’s clear bag. I rung up the total and waited for her to put all of the dresses back.

Finally, she made it to the counter. She fished for her wallet. I impatiently looked over at the clock. 9:10. It’s been ten minutes after closing time. She handed the card over to me and I swiped it and told her to sign her name. She took the bag graciously from my hands.

“Thank you so much. I’ll definitely recommend you.” She grinned so big, her eyes were almost shut. I smiled back at her and she swished out. I grabbed my things and locked up. Time to go home, and then do it all over again.