Status: Editing little mistakes.

Bride to Be

Two

The next day was easier with Steph around. She makes the customers feel welcome and is friendly to everyone. I make sure the customers are satisfied with their dress. It’s how we get things done around here.

While no one was in the store, we went to the break room. Stephanie plopped down in one of the chairs and propped her feet up on the table. Her lengthy brown hair was newly highlighted. Every time she turned her head, her nose ring caught the light. She looked a little grungy, but she makes sure to look nice for work.

“So, tonight.” She was grinning from ear to ear. I crossed my arms and inspected her. “What do you have planned?” I asked her while grabbing a water bottle from the mini fridge. “Nothing! We’re just going to have fun. Looking at hot guys, fighting. Shirtless.” She had a smirk on her face.

I took a sip of water and stuck it back in the fridge. “Let’s get back to work.” I told her. Stephanie nodded and followed me out the door.

********

It was six when someone knocked on my apartment door. I quit putting on eyeshadow and opened the door to find Stephanie. She waltzed right past me and plopped on my couch. I was used to it. “Well hello to you too.” I said, shutting the door. I walked back into my bathroom to finish doing my make-up.

After putting a final coat of mascara on, I stood back and studied myself. My dark brown hair was straight and my bangs were pinned back. I was wearing a red, ruffly tank, dark blue skinny jeans, and black heels. I added a black necklace and I was ready to go.

I wandered into the living room. Stephanie hooted. “You look hot.” She boasted. I grabbed my purse. “Thanks.” I responded. Stephanie was wearing an olive crop top, shorts, and black combat boots. “Let’s go!” She hollered.

I let Stephanie drive because she can get us there in time. I apparently drive too slow. She wove through cars and blasted the radio. Her little Volkswagen was worn down and the tires needed to be changed. I started thinking about how much our sales have gone up until Stephanie interrupted my daydream. “We’re here!” She hooped.

She jumped out of the car. I got out slowly, trying to make myself believe I was going to have fun. Maybe. Stephanie grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the entrance. I could hear music booming from behind the blue, metal doors. Stephanie walked over to the man sitting at the desk. I walked over to the pictures.

They were all of UFC fighters getting hit in the face or on the ground. I started pacing alongside the pictures. One in particular stopped me. A man with sweaty brown hair, that stuck to his face, was grinning in a t-shirt with a UFC logo on it with two men beside him. He was actually not bad looking. “Staring at the infamous Mason?” Stephanie nudged me with her elbow.

I didn’t even see her come up. “He’s not bad looking.” I shrugged. “A lot of the guys here are not bad looking.” Sarcasm was dripping from every word. “Well, he’s the best looking on the wall.” I told her. “Yeah, yeah. We got in!” She handed me my ticket.

We entered the arena. We took a seat in the fifth row. It wasn’t too low, and it wasn’t too high to see the caged ring. People were filing in like ants. Everyone wanted to see this particular fight. Stephanie was making endless chatter. My left ear was about to fall off.

The fight started shortly after Stephanie was done droning on and on about her ex-boyfriend who was trying to get back together with her. Ivan Harris was called by the commentator. He sashayed into the arena, looking confident. He had a moderate reaction form the crowd. Mason Mitchell was called next. He was the man I saw on the poster.

He sauntered into the arena, also looking confident, but he looked ready to kick ass. Ivan was over in the corner talking to one of the risqué girls who held up the signs. He clearly wasn’t on his A-game.

Mason stood in his corner, his back facing his manager, who was massaging his shoulders. Mason was listening, but he was searching the crowd. I continued watching him, out of awe. His landed on mine and he kept them locked on me for a while longer. The corners of his mouth twitched up ever so slightly.

His manager swung him around so he could look him in the eyes. He flipped him back around and pushed him into the center of the ring. The commentator introduced both of the fighters. They both took their stances and the bell rung, signaling them to demolish each other.