Masquerade

Joey

.
.
Sprawled out in the living room, I listened as Blaine played Hayley's guitar, the way he got lost in playing it was so relaxing somehow, making my nerves calm down. His fingers moved professionally, as if he started playing the moment he left his mother's womb.

After a while, he stopped, placing the guitar gently across his lap. "You're fantastic," I said, causing him to cast his hazel gaze upon me. His eyes seemed more green today, and when he smiled, they lit up. "I never felt so calm for so long, but you're playing has eased so much pain."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," Blaine said, grabbing the guitar and standing up, making his way back to the stand where he found it. "You know, I didn't expect to get a friend so soon after arriving in New York. I mean, I suppose I can make friends somewhat easily, but usually people are a bit put off by my personality."

"I find it intriguing," I said, standing up and walking over to him. "You got this fire within you and you're so ... passionate about what you do." He turned and faced me, a look of pure gratitude on his face.

"You're too kind," he said, just over a whisper. Giving my shoulder a quick pat, Blaine walked over to the table just as his phone went off. "Hello?" he said, a look of pained horror washing over his face. Before I could ask anything, he held up his free hand and walked out of the door. I was tempted to eavesdrop on it, but I figured I shouldn't break his trust when he's only ever been so kind to me.

Picking up my laptop from the small counter, I sat down at the kitchen table and started working on assignments to pass time. Not ten minutes later the door opened and closed, and I watched in my peripheral as Blaine tossed his phone on top of the TV and sat down on the couch. "Everything alright, Blaine?" I asked, finding a stopping point and looking at the curls at the back of his head.

"No, everything is not alright," he said, and I could hear the tears in his voice. I walked over to him, and sat on the arm of the couch, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I thought he was the one person I could trust, of all the people in all the world, and now it's like we're not even aquaintances."

I didn't bother asking who he was talking about, but even if I had attempted to, I wouldn't have been able to because he chose that moment to rest his head on my stomach. Throwing his arms around my waist, I immediately felt his body start shaking. He was crying.

Pulling him up, I stood up and wrapped my arms around him. I didn't say a word, I just let him cry. Blaine needed a friend, and I hoped that we were good enough friends that he wasn't ashamed to trust me.

After about ten minutes, Blaine calmed down enough to take a breather and step back. Wiping his red-rimmed eyes, he looked up at me with an apologetic look. "No need to be sorry. I understand that you're in pain, and needed a shoulder. I'm here for you, Blaine. Remember that." Nodding, Blaine gave me a small smile, though it didn't really reach his eyes.

"Why are you so kind to me, Joey?" Blaine asked suddenly. "We've known each other ... what, two or three days now? Yet, you've done so much. You became a friend, you gave me a place to stay, you're not weirded out by a guy crying on you and it appears you're not nosy when it comes to reasons why the person is crying."

I closed the gap between us, grabbing his hands in my own. "Blaine, when we first met, I didn't think it would blossom into the friendship it is. I felt ... comfortable almost immediately when you walked through the door. The moment your eyes met mine, I had the urge to get to know you. When I realized we could trust each other, even just a little bit, I wanted to be there for you. It's why I extended my apartment to you. You needed a place to stay, even if it was only temporary."

I dropped his hands but he grabbed them back almost immediately, as if I were to disappear if he let go too long. Our gazes met, his seeming a tad embarrassed, but not ashamed of what he did. "I suppose the reason I've been so kind to you is that I figured you'd have done the same for me."

Blaine let out a small laugh, the smile appearing actually reaching his eyes. "I probably would," he said, looking down at our conjoined hands. His thumbs traced circles on the palms of my hands, causing me to giggle like a little schoolgirl. "What?"

"My hands are slightly ticklish," I said, our eyes meeting yet again. In his eyes, I saw a challenge, and I knew I wasn't going to like it. "No. Blaine..." I tried to pull my hands free, but he's stronger than he appears. "Blaine! No!"

A wicked grin appeared and he eventually let go. I patted my pockets to make sure my keys were there and then ran out the door. "Joey! Get back here!" he yelled, and soon, I heard the door close and Blaine's footsteps behind me. Racing out of the building, I stopped only long enough to avoid getting hit in the street.

I'd be damned if my new roomie found out my weak spots.