Masquerade

Joey

.
.
.
"Okay, people, that's a wrap!" Adam said, his British accent coming over the pants of exhaustion the group had. They were working on dance numbers, and trying to keep up with the singing as well, and for some of the newer members -- Joey included -- it was still a bit rough. Yet, Adam seemed as if he took a nice stroll in the park, not a drop of sweat on him. Then again, he's probably more accustomed to so much.

Wiping the sweat from his brow with his already drenched shirt, Joey walked over to where his things lay, grabbing the near emptied canteen of water and downed it. They were working harder than ever, and Joey couldn't even fathom as to why. They rarely, if ever, performed outside of the school. The only time was if they were trying to raise money for another group of people.

"Hey, J.R.," Adam called, jogging over to Joey, causing him to face him. "Can we talk?" he asked, causing Joey to nod before giving him a verbal "yes". They made their way towards the far side of the room, everyone else too caught up in their conversations to pay much attention to them. Once they were far enough, Adam placed his hands behind his head and stared at Joey for a moment. "I've got a favor to ask of you, if that's okay."

"Sure thing," Joey said, leaning against the wall and staring back at Adam, his blue-green eyes seeming to contemplate something on the wall behind Joey. "Come on, man. I haven't got all day," Joey said, playfully snapping his fingers.

"I'm going to be leaving for a couple of weeks back home this Saturday. Is there any chance of you taking over the group then until I get back?" Adam asked, stretching out his arms and the leaning against one of the many stacks of chairs in the room.

"Why are you asking me? Why not ask that Kurt fellow, or one of the others? I'm pretty sure they'd do a better job," Joey spat, pushing himself off the wall and making his way back to his things. Before Joey got too far, Adam grabbed his hand and pulled him back over. For the longest moment, they were doing nothing but staring deeply into each others eyes.

"I don't trust anyone else in here. I've seen you work so much harder than any of these people, and it's why I will only trust you with this. You seem to really put every fiber of your being into this," he said, letting go of Joey's hand and backing away a bit. His gaze never broke from Joey's as Joey searched Adam's face for answers to questions he didn't even want to ask.

"Fine, but just know I may just enlist the help of one of the others during it," he said, getting a relieved nod from Adam.

"Thank you!" he said, wrapping me in a hug. "I owe you one."

"Indeed, you do," Joey replied, patting his back before they broke apart. Turning on his heel, Joey started quietly singing to his favorite song, Candles by Hey Monday, getting a look from that Kurt guy. "What?" he asked, looking at Kurt as if he was irritated him.

"Nothing ... it's nothing," he said, grabbing his bag and walking out of the room. Joey didn't miss the tears rimming his eyes. He exhaled a sigh and rolled his eyes. That kid was a ticking time bomb at all times, it seemed. Every time someone mentioned a certain song, or said something a certain way, he would look as if someone just ripped open a terrible wound.

All Joey had picked up from various conversations was Kurt and this guy he had apparently been dating had broke it off. He didn't care to ask for details, because he didn't care to invade in on someone else's life.

After he finally got all his things together, Joey made his way out of the room and to the front doors of the school. He didn't see Kurt sitting on the floor with his legs sprawled out until he was right up on him. "Shit!" Joey muttered, catching himself and pretty much making a bridge over Kurt's legs.

"Sorry! Sorry!" he said, gripping Joey's shoulder and pushing him up, helping him get to his feet. He quickly stood up and looked at Joey, his eyes red. "I'm going through a rather rough time at the moment, although I'm gonna spare you the details."

"Is it that one guy from Ohio you were dating?" Joey asked, bending down and grabbing Kurt's bag and handing it to him. Kurt nodded and wiped away tears that weren't there. "It must have been pretty brutal, what happened. I don't need to know any details, but I hope you two work things out. If not to get back together, then at least being friends."

"Thanks, me too," he said, letting out a shaky sigh. Nodding, Joey gripped his shoulder and gave Kurt a half smile.

"Come on. I'll drive you home. By the looks of it, it's going to be raining here shortly, and I can't stand leaving a fellow Apple to it," Joey said, readjusting his things to sit more comfortably on his shoulder.

"That's okay, I can walk," Kurt replied, waving Joey off. Joey stared at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Oh? Even if I bought dinner, a movie, and a triple-decker chocolate cake?" he asked, seeing the ecstasy in Kurt's eyes.

"How ..." he started and Joey just grinned.

"If I were in your shoes, that's exactly what I'd do. Do you have any roomies?"

"Two. Ones a vegetarian, the other is sort of just .. a bitch."

"Ah, well, I know a place that will serve you all," Joey said, grabbing Kurt's arm and pulling him out the front doors, both running towards the Ford Explorer near then end of the parking lot, and both not being able to resist a smile.