Masquerade

Joey

.
.
.
"So, this whole Adam's Apples shit is just like the Glee Club back home?" Santana said, looking at Joey and Kurt with a look of annoyed contempt. Joey and Kurt looked at each other for a moment before answering.

"In a way," Kurt started, sounding sort of flabbergasted. "It's different, but at the same time, it all feels familiar. Although, from what Rachel and a few others said, it's suicidal to join, but I decided to join anyway."

"Why? If it's so suicidal, and I kind of trust Rachel on this sort of thing, why in the hell would you join? Are you trying to not make it? If so, you're doing a fantastic job," Santana said, mocking enthusiasm.

"Well," Joey said, seeming a bit uncomfortable around those he didn't know, "it's getting late. And I've got to get home before my dog chews up the place." Standing up, he gave Kurt and the girls a smile before heading for the door. Turning towards the three roommates, he said, "It was nice meeting you, ladies. Kurt, I'll see you tomorrow." At that, he walked out.

Joey didn't mind Kurt's company. He actually enjoyed it. He had noticed when Kurt wasn't thinking about that ex of his, he was a very talkative, vibrant, happy person ... as if he didn't have a care in the world. Joey found that very attractive.

Halting in his stride, Joey felt his breathing picking up. He's never given much thought about his sexuality, he always somehow knew he was different ... that he was gay. To actually come to terms with it and realize he had an attraction to someone scared him quite a bit. He wasn't sexually attracted to Kurt, not at all. He just loved the fact that Kurt was so full of life when he wasn't focusing on the negativity in his life.

"You okay?" a voice asked, causing Joey to spin around for a moment like an idiot beore his eyes landed on the speaker. She was a pretty girl, no more than nineteen years old. Her eyes studied him for a long moment before Joey finally answered.

"Yeah," he said, wiping the small band of sweat from his forehead. "I'm just having bit of a melt down." At that, before the girl could ask any more questions, he went to his car and got in, starting it and driving off into the night towards his home

***
Once home, Joey threw his coat on the back of the couch just as Emory, his Irish Wolfhound tackled him to the floor. "Hey there, Emory," Joey cooed, patting the dog on the head before scratching him behind the ears. "Sorry I'm late. I've gotten to know this really great person, and I'm sure you'd love him. Although, the way you like to tackle people, maybe not so much."

After a while, Emory went off on his own path and Joey went to the kitchen, grabbing the tea pot and putting some water in. "He's a stranger to some and a vision to none, he can never get enough, get enough of the one. For a fortune, he'd quit but it's hard to admit, how it ends and begins on his face is the map of the wold. A map of the world. On his face is a map of the world, a map of the world."

As soon as Joey broke into the chorus, the high-pitched wailing of the tea pot went off and he immediately poured the water over the tea bag. The song still went on in his head as Joey made his way to the makeshift table in the kitchen. Opening the book in which he was nearly finished with, Joey took a sip of the tea and sighed happily. Before he could dive into the pages and forget the world, his phone buzzed in his pocket.

Opening it, he read the text message, and smiled. He's a stranger to some and a vision to none... was all that went through Joey's head. Smiling wider now, he set the cup of tea down and replied, a laugh bubbling up from deep within him.