Status: Finished.

Green Eyes

Três

Tom sat across from Esmeralda on the kitchen table of her house while she spoke to him about the protest she was attending that night. He couldn’t believe how lucky he was. He had met her 5 months ago and they had been dating for four now. None of them had really expected for them to work out but ironically they did and very well.

They always laughed at how random but natural it had seemed when they started dating. They had kissed for the first time long before that and despite their doubts, they really did like each other and dating seemed like a natural step.

“So, can I convince you to come with me this time?”

Tom blinked as he found those astounding emerald green eyes staring right into his soul. He nibbled on his lip. He admired Esmeralda’s guts but protesting wasn’t something he usually did or enjoyed but for her, he was willing to try.

“I’ll go, darling. I have a meeting with my father and then I’ll join you.” He said, watching her clearly shift uncomfortably.

Esmeralda was beginning to grow deep feelings for Tom. She didn’t speak of love yet but she knew that it was more than fancying. She was so thankful to have met him. He was amazing and nothing like what she imagined. Despite this, and the fact that their relationship worked wonderfully, Tom’s father didn’t know about them. She had asked him not to say anything and he actually didn’t want to, he knew it would be a problem and she was still a bit shaken with what the man had done to her.

“Alright, darling, sounds good.” She smiled widely as she moved a postcard in his direction “I received this from a mate.”

Tom read the name Mozambique and turned the card and sighed after he read the small paragraph. Esmeralda had completely dropped going back to college, Tom disagreed with it but now another idea had been swirling around in her mind and he saw the sparkle in her eyes every time it was mentioned.

She wanted and was determined to go to Mozambique with UNICEF. Her friend had been sending her postcards and she was completely in love with the place and with the opportunity to actually help someone with actions, instead of protesting and never being heard.

Tom was not receptive to this idea. He didn’t want her to go alone but he didn’t want to either. He couldn’t produce enough arguments to stop her from wanting it and they had almost had a fight because of it. She was not going to drop it and he was not changing his mind.

“He’s having fun.” He pointed out as his watch beeped; it was time for his insulin injection.

Esmeralda watched silently as he stood up and went back to her bedroom where his case was. She knew that Tom wasn’t ill but it made her shiver to think that he needed to inject himself in order to be alright. As his girlfriend, it made her flinch but he was very discreet about it and she had never even seen his syringes.

Tom cursed as he realized that he was almost out of insulin. He felt a small migraine playing on his head and he for a moment his vision was blurry. He tried not to panic and as he rubbed his eyes it seemed to go off. He needed to visit his doctor, after attending to his father. He quickly got dressed and gathering his things. Esmeralda was surprised to see him rushing but he didn’t mean to worry her so he gave her some excuse as he bend down to kiss her before storming out.

~

“Come in.”

Tom cleared his throat as he opened the door and smiled at the figure of his father. But something shocked him. His father looked tired, actually the man looked exhausted and almost ill.

“Father?” Tom called and the man looked up, smiling softly.

“Ah, my son, finally. Please, come in and take a seat.”

Tom sat immediately and observed the man with worry “Are you sick, father?”

“I feel very tired, Thomas.” Edward confessed as he glanced at his younger son, at his only hope “I cannot handle this company anymore. With the scandals, the numbers, the money, the connections. I cannot… and neither can Henry.”

Tom felt his heart clenching and his throat closing, his vision becoming blurry again as he kept silent.

“You are our only hope Thomas.” Edward said, using a tone Tom had never heard him use before, a pleading tone.

“Father… are you… are you telling me that you are dropping your position?” Tom asked to be sure as his vision slowly came back to normal. He completely forgot that he was meaning to tell his father about Esmeralda. Things were serious and he wanted to be honest but given the man’s state it was not wise.

Edward nodded his head “It’s time for you to step up and take my place, Thomas.” He said, looking at his son seriously “Do not disappoint me. I need you to do this, I need you to do what I always prepared you to do. This is your goal, this is the whole purpose of your education. You are meant to follow my steps and make them greater.”

“Father…” Tom sighed.

“I know that this is a lot to take in all of a sudden but I need you Tom.” The man stated. “Do not disappoint me.”

Tom swallowed hard, knowing that he had to do.

“When, father?”

“I’ll arrange everything for the lawyer to come on Monday.” His father said. Tom nodded and stood up to leave, he knew that his father had nothing else to say.

As he made his way to the doctor, he felt absolutely horrible. Not only had he failed to tell his father about the girl he loved, he also had broken in to the pressure and accepted something he didn’t want.

Tom didn’t want to be the head of the company. He detested the business but he was a coward and he knew it. He also didn’t deserve Esmeralda and he was aware of it. She was so brave, so loving and he was the complete opposite. He could not face his father and he knew that if he told Esmeralda the truth, she would be disgusted of him. She would very possibly hate him for giving in, for not fighting back and he didn’t want to disappoint her.

“Did we have an appointment, Tom?”

“Oh no, no doctor.” Tom said as he blinked, returning to the real world “I’m just running out of insulin.” He explained as the man nodded his head and got him new doses. As he approached Tom, he narrowed his eyes.

“Sit down.” He asked kindly and Tom followed his command, looking at him nervously as the doctor examined his eyes with a concerned look.

“Doctor…” Tom trailed off, fear taking over his heart. It couldn’t be. It was too soon.

“Tom have you been working more than usual lately?” The doctor asked “Have you been having migraines? Any sort of pain?”

“My life is the same as it was 3 months ago doctor.” Tom replied calmly.

“Tom… Are you hiding something from me? Your eyes don’t look good and I believe that it can only be one thing.”

Tom swallowed nervously “I had a bit of a blurry vision this morning but... it disappeared right away, like every day.”

The doctor sighed and licked his lips “It’s been happening every day? That’s not a good sigh. I’m afraid that it’s happening, the progressive blindness we spoke a year ago. As I explained to you, there is nothing we can do. A surgery is definitely too risky.” The man said with clear sadness and pity “I am so sorry Tom.”

Tom felt his heart sink. He had known that it could happen for a year now but he had always refused to believe it. Nobody knew except for him and now he was scared. His life was about to change completely and he knew that had a very hard decision to make.

Esmeralda was beginning to worry. Tom was taking much longer than she had expected and she hoped that everything was alright. Everyone was sitting on the floor, the main part of the protest was over. She brushed her black hair behind when she saw Tom strolling down the street. He looked exhausted and sad. She furrowed her eyebrows and began to go towards him.

Tom had made of the hardest decisions of his life. His heart was aching with it and each step closer to Esmeralda, was like a dagger to his heart. He had to do it now while he still had the guts but when he heard her voice calling his name so sweetly, he looked up. As their eyes met, he lost all his guts.

He let her embrace him as he inhaled the smell of her hair and hugged her back, kissing the top of her head softly. He knew she was speaking but he couldn’t find his voice.

“Tom?” Esmeralda asked as she caressed his face, the way he was looking at her was scaring her “Tom, what’s wrong dear? Tell me.” She soothed as he leaned down and kissed her sweetly, his hands just holding her. He hadn’t completely realized how much he needed someone’s touch until that moment and hers was all he wanted.

His decision could wait.

As they pulled away, she looked a bit shocked.

“Let’s just go home.” He said seriously and she nodded, going back to get her backpack and then returning to his side. She placed her arm around his middle as he placed his on her shoulder.

When they reached the house, Esmeralda asked Tom if he was hungry and he shook his head as he removed his coat. He walked towards her slowly and embraced her again, kissing her neck.

“You are scaring me.” She whispered to him as she felt him beginning to unbutton her jeans.

“I just need you. Please.” Was his reply and Esmeralda looked into his eyes once more before she pulled him in for a passionate kiss, her hands unbuttoning his shirt.

That night, Tom was the slowest he had ever been. As she lied under him, naked, he took his time to kiss every inch of her skin, to caress it and feel it with the tip of his fingers. He wanted to memorize every single trace of her body, of her curves.

Esmeralda wanted to ask but he was being so gentle that she had no courage to speak up. It was one of the best nights she had ever had with him. It had been perfect, detailed, careful but pure bliss, he had taken care of her and pleasured her like he had never before. As she fell asleep, she failed to see Tom crying as he hold her tightly, the next morning was going to be hard for him.

As Esmeralda woke up, she was smiling. She stretched and got out of bed to see Tom sitting on little balcony, smoking. She had only seen him smoking once before, it was rare. As she approached him and kissed him, she felt him tense up as he looked at her.

“We need to talk.”

Tom fought back his tears as he went out of her house. Esmeralda had just shouted at him to go out and never come again and he knew that he deserved it. He had been harsh with words, almost heartless, but he knew that it was the only way for him to free her. She deserved better and he was nowhere near close what she deserved.

He had really no good justification to break up with her, he loved her madly but this was the best. He convinced himself of that. He was going to have a new job and he was about to change drastically, he didn’t want her to deal with it. He was going to be blind with time and he didn’t want to be a burden.

So he freed her, as much as it broke his heart to lie, to see her cry, he knew he had done what was right.

Esmeralda watched him leave and cursed heavily, kicking one of the stools in her kitchen. Tears streamed down her face and she growled, she had promised herself never to cry for a guy and she was crying for a Hiddleston. She felt completely stupid for allowing herself to love him for real, she should have guessed that it had all been a game to him.

As she stared at the table, she saw her friend’s postcard. She picked it up and she decided what she would do. Now that she had nothing to keep her there, she was finally going to Africa.