Status: Finished.

Green Eyes

Cinco

“ESMERALDA!”

She smiled excitedly as she saw the children running towards them, but one of them stood out. Max. He had been nicknamed by the UNICEF crew, along with his brother Danny, because when they were found, they spoke little English along with their parents so in order for everything to be understand, they had these nicknames. She had told Tom everything about Max and he was a boy she had gotten particularly close to.

“Max!” She cheered as he hugged her legs. She picked him up and span him gently, hugging him tightly.

“There’s someone new with you.” The boy noticed as he saw a tall figure behind her, with a cane.

“Ah yes.” Esmeralda said as she put the child down and took Tom’s hand, making him smile as he heard everything “Max this is Tom, my boyfriend.”

Max smiled but behind it was a grin. The year Esmeralda spent there, they had gotten very close and he absolutely adored her. When she went home for a couple of weeks, he had a feeling that she wanted to see someone. There was his answer.

“Hello young man.” Tom greeted with his British accent as Max noticed the ‘special quality’ about him, he was blind.

“Hello!” He greeted as he grabbed Esmeralda’s hand “We have all missed you so much!” He said happily.

The little child guided them back to the village and Esmeralda was received like a member, while Tom was embraced very warmly. As everyone got around him to meet him, Max took Esmeralda so they would find his brother, Danny.

The sight was nothing she was expecting. Danny was applying a cold cloth to their mother’s forehead. The father had passed away and the only person keeping them together and save was their mother.

“Esmeralda?” Danny beamed “I’m so glad to see you.” The boy nearly cried out as he embraced her tightly.

Esmeralda held him back, he had clearly stepped up as the adult of the family. She still could see the little child there, as he let his defenses down, and she just kissed his head, whispering encouraging words

“Mama is very sick.” He told her as little Max sat close to their mother, singing her a little lullaby. “I do not know what to do.”

“I’ll try to get a doctor here.” Esmeralda promised him as their eyes locked and Danny knew she meant it.

In the meantime, Tom felt very loved and he already loved it in Mozambique. All the villagers were curious about him, about how being blind was different in another country and he explained it to them without a problem. When Esmeralda returned, he recognized her presence and everyone watched sweetly how they were affectionate but Esmeralda’s mood had dropped.

She really loved both Max and Danny and she knew that she had to help or they’d be lost. So when she returned with Tom to the UNICEF building, she told him everything and together they tried to convince the crew that this was important but their mother was just a villager and they wouldn’t use a doctor on her. She wasn’t ‘important’ and that frustrated Esmeralda.

“Darling, you tried, please don’t be so upset.” Tom said calmly as he sensed his girlfriend pacing in front of him.

“Tom, I can’t help it.” She sighed heavily “I wish I could do something, I feel worthless.”

“You cannot save everyone.” He pointed out but that only frustrated her more.

“But I could start here with those two brothers… I… I wish I could make a difference.”

~

As Esmeralda helped around in the village, since they had a few celebrations, another girl and guy from UNICEF had joined her and Tom there. While the guys sat with the kids, the two women were helping with the decorations.

“What are you going to do Esme?” The girl asked her “About Max and Danny.”

Esmeralda sighed “I’m not sure… Their mother is worse and I can’t get a doctor. I’m lost.” She admitted.

“You know… adoption could really save those two kids and I know that you always wanted to adopt Max.”

The woman’s words, stole Tom’s attention. Despite the distance, he could hear them very well. Esmeralda had never mentioned anything about wanting to adopt a child and the thought warmed his heart.

“I know but… I’m with Tom and I don’t know what he thinks of that.” Esmeralda pointed out “We’ve been together for a short time, I don’t want to press him. Having him here makes me happy, already.”

Tom smiled at that but his attention drove elsewhere as some children called for him. He stood up and they guided him carefully, they wanted to show him something.

Esmeralda, didn’t worry. The kids were impeccable and Tom was in good hands but suddenly, she heard Danny yelling for her.

“Mama! Mama won’t wake up!”

Esmeralda ran up to the woman’s side and found her to be above normal feverish. She began to panic but then the woman opened her eyes and smiled very softly, passing away the next minute. Esmeralda held both boys tight, promising that everything would be okay.

She took them back to the village and thankfully a family offered to stay with them for the night, while Esmeralda figured what to do. She wasn’t responsible for them but she felt like she was. As she returned to the UNICEF camp, she was startled to know that Tom had been hospitalized.

“What?” She exclaimed as she burst inside the medical alley, only stopping when she found him. “Tom!” She called.

He waved slowly “I’m here, green eyes.” He smiled as she grabbed his hands “Don’t… don’t worry.” He soothed as he caressed her face.

It turned out that he had been poisoned by the water. He had understood the children wrong and he had consumed water that was polluted. Thankfully it wasn’t anything serious.

“You sound sad and tired.” He said as she rested her head on his bed.

She nodded and sighed heavily, proving his point.

“Max’s mother passed away.” She said weakly as Tom tugged her closer to hug her. “I… I don’t know what to do.”

“I heard what you said.” He confessed “And I want it.”

“What?”

“To adopt them both. Max and Danny, we’ll adopt them both and keep them together.”

“Tom!” She called suddenly “Are you serious?”

“Yes. I have never been more serious.” He stated.

“But, adopting a foreign child is difficult.”

“As long as you’re with me, I’ll go forward.”

“But... what if they want us to marry?”

“I’ll marry you, right now if needed.”

“Bu-“ He cut her off, kissing her passionately.

“Listen, Esmeralda,” he said “You caught me so much about life. You are beautiful inside and out. You inspired me every day, I am so lucky to be the one in your heart. I know that you love them too and I want them to be a part of us. You are my family and so are they.”

“I love you, Tom.” She cried.

“I love you too, green eyes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The end of this short-story. I'm sorry for any typos, I will review everything tomorrow.
As always, comments are welcome!